Sign in to follow this  
Jacaylbaro

President Obama's Speech

Senora   

I thought the point of the speech was to establish dialogue in the area and to set a new tone in foreign relations. A good first step for America....

^shame on you for not reading the speech in its entirety.

Obama said:

As the Holy Koran tells us, "Be conscious of God and speak always the truth." That is what I will try to do - to speak the truth as best I can, humbled by the task before us, and firm in my belief that the interests we share as human beings are far more powerful than the forces that drive us apart.

In other words, a presidential speech that will become a scholarly favourite. This occasion was meant to clear any and all misconceptions that the west and muslim have of one another. The speech was meant to inspire the young, the man, the woman, the elderly. It was meant to help establish a dialogue as someone said earlier that will allow the old wounds to heal and help form new relations.

The truth of the matter is Obama can continue to talk about change until his face turns blue but you, the reader, the listener, the citizen of the world that he speaks to needs to change. YOu have to be willing to change by examining the world and culture around you for your children's future. The action that you all seek from Obama has to come from within. Obama and his administration can not change what's on the hearts and minds of the world's citizens. He can't twist an arm to get you to see the wrong direction you are headed when you cheer for the destruction and death of your fellow somalis daily.

Ng, Mr "action aa loo baahan yahay addressed the secessioner's criticism. The speech did not lack depth, matter of fact the speech was well crafted and so far I have only read it in text only. The Cairo speech is by far his best work up-to date but I will have to see his delivery in order to come to a full conclusion on whether or not he surpassed the delivery of his inaugural speech. This is a scholarly speech, one that will be studied and digested for many centuries to come.

As for the SOL gang and what this means for you in terms of improvement in your lives and the lives of your sisters and brothers in Somalia is that you, the sol gang member will have to want to achieve peace, you will have to say no to extremist and become better citizen, better son, better father, better husband, better manager, better human, above all a better muslim. YOu will have to enrich your life and the lives of those that are closest to you. You will have to want better for you and your loves ones and not settle for anything less. That means, peace and security for all. It means you will have to want the same life you desire for yourself and your family for say a 'family that resides in HODAN district, Somalia, who are barely surviving on $5 a day income for a family of 5 or 6'.

You need to reject the 'us' versus 'them' mantra. You need to limit your ignorance to a minimum. YOu need to stop waving the quran infront of fellow muslims faces and calling jihad on fellow muslims because you disagree with their political and social views.

With all that said, I couldn't help but share parts of the speech that will forever be remembered by some more than others.

Obama on nuclear annihilation:-

When one nation pursues a nuclear weapon, the risk of nuclear attack rises for all nations. When violent extremists operate in one stretch of mountains, people are endangered across an ocean. And when innocents in Bosnia and Darfur are slaughtered, that is a stain on our collective conscience. That is what it means to share this world in the 21st century. That is the responsibility we have to one another as human beings.

Obama, the history student:-

Given our interdependence, any world order that elevates one nation or group of people over another will inevitably fail. So whatever we think of the past, we must not be prisoners of it. Our problems must be dealt with through partnership; progress must be shared.

Obama schooling jihadists:-

The Holy Koran teaches that whoever kills an innocent, it is as if he has killed all mankind; and whoever saves a person, it is as if he has saved all mankind. The enduring faith of over a billion people is so much bigger than the narrow hatred of a few. Islam is not part of the problem in combating violent extremism - it is an important part of promoting peace.

Obama on America's rich but dark history:-

For centuries, black people in America suffered the lash of the whip as slaves and the humiliation of segregation. But it was not violence that won full and equal rights. It was a peaceful and determined insistence upon the ideals at the center of America's founding. This same story can be told by people from South Africa to South Asia; from Eastern Europe to Indonesia. It's a story with a simple truth: that violence is a dead end. It is a sign of neither courage nor power to shoot rockets at sleeping children, or to blow up old women on a bus. That is not how moral authority is claimed; that is how it is surrendered.

This was an important and timely speech. President Obama has extended his hand to the Islamic world and I hope Muslims extend their hand and work with him for peace. It was also brutally honest and frank. Obama is becoming a transformational world Leader. May Allah guide him to the right path, aamiin.