Sign in to follow this  
Baashi

BUYING THE WAR

Baashi   

Must see documentary in PBS.

This is for political junkies. Bill Moyer put some big shots up in the food chain on the hot seat.

Neocon and Bush got a free pass...is what Bill Moyer wanted to prove...he convinced me!

Bill didn't explore why that is the case instead he nails the fact that media in general and White house press core in particular looked the other way. Washignton Post, New York Times, all major Network portals, all cable outlets went along with the official version almost parroting the Neocons line.

Jourmalism in the states is exposed. Donhue's dismissal by MSNBC is tooooooooooo embarracing. This is not a conspiracy theory anymore. Who is who in politics and media sat down with Bill and tried to defend their follies...unsuccessfully.

God bless PBS.

Check it out...Bill Moyer Journal

Xoogsade   

Welcome back bro, what do you think is in store for Somalia now that Warlords are the sole rulers of the country?

Baashi   

Ethiopia delivered. Neocons are pleased. TFG thinks it has arrived. Innocent lives have been lost. Many more are suffering. Large swaths of Mogadishu have been destroyed. Somalis in the Diaspora are divided. Somali conflict has not being solved. The core issues have yet to be tackled. Islamists' chance to lead this poor country out of the anarchy and clannish struggle for state power has been squandered.

It is a mess! Tragedy all around! Ayaan darro big time. If the Neocons stay put and commit helping this TFG directly and/or through Ethiopia, there is a chance that TFG might pull this one off. The danger with this is that the TFG will be dominated by the what I call coalition of convenience namely PLs and Geedi's sub-clan at the expense of other now opposing clans.

We've been through this before. In the past some clans seemed invisible as they have exercised their authority through the state power. The ones who found themselves at the bottom of the pile thought crossing the line and getting even was better option than to be loyal to a corrupt state that ignores their plight...that's how it all started.

Nothing has changed as far as advancing the ball toward peaceful goal is concerned. The powers that be tilted the plane field for one side of the conflict. The political solution to the Somali conflict has not been explored let alone formulated.

Today I'm the pessimist in the house awoowe...but then again pessimist is an optimist with experience right?

Waa sidee Xoogoow gabaygan yaa tiriyey?

Afartaan dhurwaayee

U adeegta Xabashida

Allahayoow intaan Jiro

Miyaan Eray ka yeelaa

Ummaddi la laayiyo

Wixii iil la wada dhigay

Waa Illoow ayaa yiri?

Xoogsade   

Somalis forget quick of their past if the future promises good. Knowing the warlords and their main objective in ruling the country, I am not certain the future holds much good for Somalis and Somalia. The saddest part is how religion will play no role and the religious might be oppressed. My fear is the warlords to start fighting religious symbols as they did when Xamar was devided into turfs they ruled, only now with more systematic approach and power behind them. Clans who feel oppressed can fight back on their own, but islam has no allies in Somalia.

I found the poem on this website

ElPunto   

^Baashi - If this government implements the 'federal' part of its title and gives significant powers to regions along with the necessary funds - I think Somalia is on the road to recovery. I don't see any government, however powerful and well-supported, able to sustain a strong central government in the style of Barre.

Xoogsade   

Che, islam will never be dead but it is going to be hardly a factor in somali governance. It has no powerful allies who can influence decisions. The efforts of the good sheekhs are set back for decades now if not forever. We are faced with periods of islamic persecution and you will see what I mean soon. We missed our chance of islamic law ruling Somalia. Now both somalis and islam in somalia are victims of America's terror war which Ethiopia waged and for which the TFG was crowned and made powerful.

Now the warlords are busy securing their power and eliminating threats among themselves by naming each other for posts, talking to potential sources of trouble for them, but once they settle, if they settle, next project might be persecuting somalis with religious appearance and fighting the good fight of America. I hope I am proven wrong but that is my fear for now saxib.

Fabregas   

Xoogsade. where have you been? The persecution has already started. How many people/ulema have killed or sent to Ethiopian jail?

Xoogsade....I don't think the Wadaad's efforts are all but gone for good. They just need to adopt to the new enviroment and reorient the Somali masses by involved in the grassroot movements to help the Somalis in rebuilding the nation from scrath.

The reality is this "goverment" is hardly qualified to meet the social needs of our people whether it is education, health, or community development. The Wadaad's biggest allies will be their own people. I say invest in Somalis, and one should be rewarded.

Xoogsade   

Bro Che, they won't be left alone to meet the social needs, these warlords need to make a name for themselves by fighting our core values. We will wait and see, it won't take long before I am either proven wrong or right saxib. Haddii la is nabad gelinaayo waa fiicnaan leheed oo Warlordskana xukunkooda iyo tuuganimadooda ku ekaadaan, soomaalida wanaagsana dadka wax baraan oo ka dhigaan productive somalis.

Geel-Jire

Athough they killed and abducted sheekhs here and there, the warlords conducted business in fear, masked and at night, or lay in wait for sheekhs to emerge from the mosques and shot them on the spot. Hadda laakiin, they are afraid of no one.

Baashi   

Xoogsade, awoowe Islamists were doing just fine. Their impatience and ignorance coupled with Neocons' plots and E-factor plus cornered TFG are some of the factors that destroyed them. It will take a long time for them to regroup and become a viable force in Somali politics. They are down but not out...not yet.

Thepoint, I beg to differ. The TFG, given the Neocon and Ethiopian factor, may start exercizing its token authority over large swaths of the south...by sheer force. But fpr lasting peace to take a root, the core issues have to be resolved. Legitimacy is a precious thing for anyone who wishes to rule. TFG lacks that now.

I don't know your views on the presence of Ethiopians on Somali soil but I gotta tell you awoowe TFG is in catch 22 for on the one hand it lacks security they crave for and they need Ethios for that very reason and on the other hand with Ethiopians on thier side they are illigitimate pupets imposed on Somalisby coalition of Neocons and Habasha at least half of the Benadir population sees it that way .

My take is that this TFG need to compromise and give Islamists a seat and reward the sub-clan whose houses and biz it destroyed. After all the folks TFG writes off as its enemy is part of constituency whose name it speaks of.

Awoowe its mess. Somalis are very hard-headed warmongers. They deserve Inna Yussuf someone who drops the hammer on...

It is what it is. You got TFG who boasts of its association with Melez and Neocons as political truimph. You got ignorant folks who banooni ku cayaari ciyaalkooda dhexdooda and you got Somalis who cheer for the slaughter of their fellow Muslim brerthern.

ElPunto   

Originally posted by Baashi:

Thepoint, I beg to differ. The TFG, given the Neocon and Ethiopian factor, may start exercizing its token authority over large swaths of the south...by sheer force. But fpr lasting peace to take a root, the core issues have to be resolved. Legitimacy is a precious thing for anyone who wishes to rule. TFG lacks that now.

But why would it exercise authority over large swathes of the south by sheer force when it has authority now, however 'token' it is? Presumably all it has to do is not piss off the locals. And the way to do that politically is to live up to federalism. Hence my emphasis on that.

I think the Islamists should be invited to the reconciliation meeting - everyone should be heard at least. I'm not a fan of folks who talk out of both sides of their mouth - on the one hand unremitting war, on the other hand we wish to participate. At the end of the day though - Somalia will be about powerful regions and a weak centre. Who can stop the Islamists from organizing themselves and enacting their agenda on a regional basis given popular support? No one. And they can show other Somalis what they really have to offer.

Khalaf   

Originally posted by Xoogsade:

[QB] Bro Che, they won't be left alone to meet the social needs, these warlords need to make a name for themselves by fighting our core values.

I believe Che put it nicely when he said invest in somalis, from the ground up and u would be rewarded, change the society from within. The wadaads throughout somalia since the fall of Siad Barre (RIP) have done very well educating the somalis in Islam, Somalia is more islamic today because of their efforts, just ask the elders. The biggest mistake of the ICU was leaving Xamar, if u have xamar u have the entire nation in ur hands, ports, airports ect ect make it a madina community, build it following the footsteps of the nabi scw... because what are u more interested in? Serving the people and improving their livelhood according to the Islamic way, the way of Nabi scw or expanding territory and gaining power in politcs? hmm? Somalia is a Muslim country and its people are 99% Muslims their core values are Islam be they in Hargayso, Garowe,Abuwaak, Kismaayo, or the capital of Mogdisho that will not change or can be under threat, only political Islam is, not in Somalia but throughout the ummah, therefore its adovcators need a game plan in dealing with the realities of the world order.

Jacpher   

I’ve seen parts of the documentary the night it aired. Very interesting. PBS rocks.

Islam is not dead but what’s dead is Somalis resolving their political difference and qabiil animosity by themselves. Thanks to TFG, we no longer can run our affairs without foreigner sitting at the center of the table. The Donohue factor in the documentary may soon make its way to Somali media. Somalis opposing Amxaaro boots and TFG policies labeled as Soomaalidiid, or worst yet ‘argagixiso’ to the point they end up losing the only thing they have left, a voice. No genuine Islamist would stand to be part of any solution as long as Ethiopia remains in the picture.

Xoogsade raised very serious concerns given Max’ed Dheer appointment to the governorship and his recent history of banning Niqab in Jowhar. I think TFG keeps messing up every opportunity they get to possibly look at any problem with good intension of peace and stability. Just like Xoogsade, I have a feeling the religious leaders or folks would be discouraged and/or forced to interpret any quranic scriptures in a certain way to avoid a conflict with Amxaaro presence. Another Turkey secular society in the making. At this time, I prefer secularism with peace than warlordsm and cronyism with death and destruction of human life.