Sign in to follow this  
Qudhac

No where to hide No where to run

Xoogsade   

Not that I care about who gets accused or not, but my observation has been, only certain segment of our society are too interested in going after whom they call criminals to a pitch of obsession.

Also, To Horn And Other Land Community(like Smith, Nationalist, Wind.talker), Would you have accused Aidid Sr if he was alive and were to visit America? Just Curious.

I wouldn't go after Aidid sr. I feel sorry for the guy, he will allready be tormented as the most hated man in Somali history by other tribes as well as his own. Like I said forgive and forget. Not like the Slanders are doing. Forgive and forget the crimes of your own kin and those that you can take advantage of and try to hunt down the rest. That's just sick.

Gediid, you are lightyears away from carrying a name such as Nationalist. I have always defended the unity, integrity and honour of my nation; Somalia. Never will I wander from that path. My greatest horror will be to ever meet someone who denies it's own nation in pursuit of a clanbased one. I rather have me eyes poked out.

XOOGSADE, there are many Somali warlorsd who for what ever reason, members of various clan could go after. But would that bring about peace and undertsanding or create deeper rifts?

Gabbal   

3. Horn don't let Odweyne get to you, you deserve sympathy too. You're a human being too! I don't get why all Somalis take a dump on you. You've suffered so much, why can't people see the light.

Sxb my intention was not to make anybody feel forry for anybody, but to show the Landers that they have to open their eyes and see that ALL Somalis have suffered. That's what I'm trying to get across.

Horn-I don't know why yu wanna give this guy a free pass. Everybody must face the consequences of his/her action. Being old or sick doesn't make anyone less guilty/accountable. Somalis need to understand what accountability means. I say fry him.If Pinochet can do time, Iam sure mr samatar can too.

Slanders...Since it seems justice might be what you are looking for, perhaps you can start at home by cleaning up Hargiesa. You could start with Riyaale, and SNM commanders that violated human rights.

Xoogsade...Considering what Aidid (Alla Ha naxariisto) did in Xamar, Bay, and Bakool, I would have made sure that he got life in prison with no possibility of parole. If the man would have stopped his rage at mogadisho, that might have been ok, but what did he to Bay/Bakool is unforgivable. Over three hundred thousand people perished all dying from man-made starvation. Dying from starvation is slow and painfull.

Coloow   

Assalamu calaykum,

I have been following how this thread is developing. For those of you who are trying to take a reconciliatory tone on the dark past of somalia, I do understand, but let me tell you this. Samatar was the vice president of somalia, the commander in chief of the somali armed forces- in the absence of a living president, co, it is natural that his assistant faces the wrath of justice. Samatar, Kulmiye, Laxwase, Dafle, Siad barre were part of the junta who revived somaliweyn and few years later killed it. We won't have been in this mess had they feared justice! These are the same people whose policies contributed to the slaughter of thousands of somalis, the same people who used guns, tanks and airplanes on the same civilians that they were to protect. What are you going to tell the orphaned child, the widowed woman whose loved ones were murdered?

I agree samatar was not the only one. We have thousands of officers, officials, religious leaders, bandits, tribal thieves who must face the consequence for the mess somalia finds itself in. The best thing one can do for somalia/somalis is to begin a process that would land this people shame/jail!

The least one can do is defend their actions1

The processes initiated in the US, Canada and Europe (soon) would be a lesson to all the warlords in Nairobi.

The only regret any somali should have is that these processes are not taking place in somalia.

On the other hand, forgivness is a virtue and a reconciliation process is perhaps not a bad idea. To achieve this,however, we need people (leaders)who offer public appology to their victims, somalis and the world. Unfortunately, the issue of guilt is not one that is on the agenda of the southerners. Every somali is responsible for the attrocities committed in our name. There is a polarisation of this issue; the somalis from the north should also abandon their blame game, where innocent southerners who themselves were victims of the regime are blamed!

J.Lee   

One must clean up their backyard before they start on the frontyard of others.

That being said, You may call me naive and impressionable but what I don't understand regarding this debacle and farce need for justice is how putting one man behind bars and robbing him of his dwindling pension will make up for 50,000 lives lost. We can't turn back the hands of time nor rewrite the past. Every somali, whether living abroad or in Somalia have suffered and been victims. Furthermore, Caaqil's notion of Forgiving and forgeting isn't so bad, samir is one of the virtue's that defines a muslim.

In conclusion, I'm not pleading his innocence but I don't see what they mean to accomplish by condemning him after all these years. As Wind.Talker said.....Tii Alle baa u hartay.

Qudhac   

you see this is why somalis as race have failled in life and failled miserebly because they are friking appologist for every murderer there is an idiotic appologist willing to put his hand on his eye and drool up some excuses, for every warlord and sychopath responsible for genocide of woman and children there will be someone weaping up some excuses for him.

no wonder today the 200plus worst warlords and and the perpotrators of genocide are at the helm of somalia today your destiny in their hands and you will find people clapping their hand for them on dailly bases, "hey what the heck when i am done with the killing and looting i will just go abroad and more idotic somalis will dance for me and weap up some excuses for me" is the motto of every maniac..

wind talker wrote

Cali Samatar was merely a MEMBER of the Somali government

i rest my case

if the vice president of somalia, the commander in chief of the somali armed forces cannot be answerable for his actions then who the heck is.. am sorry where does it say when you reach certain age you cannot be held responsible for your actions, please stop being an appologist and just to make things clear if anyone has case against Riyaale then they should go after him as well but since they voted for him to be their leader i assume they dont have alot againt him but.

Didn't Cali Samatar admit on the BBC that he gave the orders to bomb Hargeisa and Burco? If the families of those killed would like to see him atleast answer some questions about his past conduct, I see no problems with that. If he is innocent I am sure he will be exonerated.

juba   

What u don't understand is if these warlords and "gov't officals" run free they will only try to gain power again and influence other followers of theirs into commiting the same crimes. Bottom line the SAME MISTAKES will be made if these people see that the law is slacking. Other warlords and political leaders will find courage and won't worry about jail or their wrong doings being repremended. The basic thought would be "hey he got away with it and so can i."

the whole point of jail is not only for justice but to keep the murderers from commiting another crime.

Kowneyn   

People I wish it was the state of Somaliland that was hunting down the war criminals, but its not. This is about few victims and the American law and societal standards.

The current administration is not interested in bringing these criminals to justices, however some day the state of Somaliland must live up to its obligations to its citizens and seek justice for the past crimes through all avenues available.

Coloow   

Assalamu calaykum,

you see this is why somalis as race have failled in life and failled miserebly because they are friking appologist for every murderer there is an idiotic appologist willing to put his hand on his eye and drool up some excuses, for every warlord and sychopath responsible for genocide of woman and children there will be someone weaping up some excuses for him.

Brother Qudhac, forgiving someone who wronged you is an islamic virtue, and Allah rewards one who forgives.

I agree, though, the somali disease is defending the people who killed somalis (most of these defensive mechanisms depart from tribal basis). I, for one would love to see justice established (every somali above the rank of a sergeant should be made responsible for his/her action). Every somali in the administration (from clerk to minister) should be tried.

Qudhac, those who point the finger at Riyaale and the many officers in somaliland have a point too. Riyaale and co were part of the problem, but they also became part of the solution. There should be an inclusive strategy not an exclusion of people simply because they live in another part of somalia.

FYI, I have a good friend in Sweden who comes from Hargeisa and he was in Hargeisa during the dirty war against our brothers in the north. He reports that Riyaale and co (many of them senior officials in the adm) were equally responsible.

Koorojan, a senior officer in the somali army in the north currently lives in Finland. I met him on several occassions. He has now turned to religion and after friday prayers he asks those present to pray for him. I have reminded him that the only way he could get Allah's mercy is to visit Hargeisa and meet with the mothers orphaned.

Korajan admits but we have thousands who have been blinded by tribalism- and I hope they come clean.

Since this particular thread regarded Samatar, I wish he faces the consequence of his actions, I hope he is repatriated from wherever he is hiding- likewise, the many thugs in Nairobi, Toronto, MN, Ohion, UK should be reported.

Gabbal   

but since they voted for him to be their leader i assume they dont have alot againt him but

Either get them all or don't get any.

Xoogsade   

Qudhac, I have no idea what Riyaale did or what he was, but Voting for someone into office doesn't absolve him of any crime he committed if he committed any. The sin still sticks and requires accounting.

For any group of somalis to be credible, acceptance of punishment across the board for all former regime head-honchos, present tribal warlords(the dead ones already met their fate) or murderous politicians, is required of them. But I know this concept is not going to fly or is workable for the simple reason that the same people mentioned above are the chosen leaders of every tribe and for the whole country.

So I say, Marka Hore, Dawo Allaha keeno, ka bacdi lee Nin Dambi uu galey loo ciqaabo suuragal noqoneysaa. Former Members of the Old regime are more unluckier than the current criminals packed in the Parliament. The latter have willing tribes behind them. They even wield so much respect from the same somalis who despise them on a personal level. I am disappointed with All somalis, educated or not. The educated is subservient to the ignorant tribal leader, Kii jaahilka ahaana waaba kaas Suuqa laga mari la'yahay.

For these reasons I tell myself, it is futile to talk about justice when there is anything but a just somali society. And for these same reasons, I am neither clamouring nor being supportive of anything spearheaded by such men. Waaba iskala weynahay waxaan iney madax ii noqdaan.

Smith&Che-Guevara

Thanks for the replies.

them sickly ones have committed crime and should be punished!! peroid! homie! u done it do the quenceies!!

remember crime has no time limit! natzis, poincha and the likes are being still jailed today!! so the somali natzis should have no time limit!!

they should face judgement day but any means!!

:mad: :mad: