Sign in to follow this  
Libaax-Sankataabte

General Mahamed Abshir Muuse Mataan is facing deportation!

If you want to get something out of this country, you HAVE TO LIE TO THE IMMIGRATION and say somebody is chasing you and your whole family is murdered. lol.

I actually had the apportunity of meeting General Abshir in Minnesota. The man is a very religous man with a lot of piety and respect for others. He is an affable man at the zenith of his old age. When I was growing up, I used to hear stories like "General Maxamed Abshir has never told a lie and never missed a prayer" or "The German government wouldn't help Somalia as long as he was in jail". I guess some of those stories are true. His son was finishing college when he was diagnosed with MS and that is why he came here ... just to be next to his sick child. I am sure he wouldn't have a difficult life back home as he is from a very wealthy and affluent family. But, it is a very difficult to leave your sick child on bed or take him to Somalia.

------------------------------------

abshir2.jpgU.S. diplomats fighting for Somali living in Eden Prairie

Eric Black, Star Tribune

Published March 6, 2003 SOMA06

A retired Somali general whose prodemocracy efforts cost him 12 years in prison and whom one former U.S. ambassador calls "the greatest living Somali" is now living in Eden Prairie but has been turned down for permission to remain in the United States.

A group of U.S. diplomats who consider Gen. Mohamed Abshir Musse a loyal and valuable U.S. ally are working to get him that permission.

Abshir, 76, expressed no anger Wednesday over his situation. "I expect nothing but good from my American friends," he said, and believes they are doing all they can for him, including a special bill in Congress that would enable him to remain here. If, in the end, he cannot legally remain, "I'll have to search for somewhere else," Abshir said.

Some of his friends were more emotional about what they consider the injustice of someone with his life history being subjected to the threat of deportation. "General Abshir has done more for the United States and more for stability in his own country than any other Somali," said retired diplomat Peter Bridges, who was U.S. ambassador to Somalia in the mid-1980s.

Bridges, two other former U.S. ambassadors to Somalia and three other former U.S. officials responsible for U.S. relations with that region signed a letter to Secretary of State Colin Powell asking that the State Department support the special bill. The letter said Abshir's assistance to U.S. military personnel during the ill-fated 1992-95 "Operation Restore Hope" had saved many American lives.

"People ought to stand up for their friends," said Martin Ganzglass, a lawyer in Washington, D.C.

Ganzglass first worked with Abshir in the 1960s when Abshir was Somalia's top policeman and Ganzglass was a Peace Corps worker assigned to give legal advice to the fledgling Somali republic. "He spent a lot of years in prison, essentially for being pro-American when the Somali dictator was pro-Soviet. Then when he got out, he was busily helping the Americans during Operation Restore Hope, providing intelligence and security to our people. We owe the guy more than to leave him . . . under the threat of deportation."

The U.S. government has not literally threatened to deport Abshir, and his legal status is murky. He has not been granted U.S. asylum, but since his arrival in 2001, he has had permission to care for his 27-year-old son who has multiple sclerosis. That was a temporary status, subject to periodic renewal. The last time he sought renewal, the Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS) asked him for a visa and a passport and a ticket out of the United States to prove that he had plans to leave.

But Abshir hopes to stay and has no such ticket. He told the INS about the bill but received notice that his application was denied and that no further appeal was possible.

Somalia, which has been declared a potential haven for terrorists, is among the countries under special scrutiny since Sept. 11. Ganzglass said a male from such a country who lacks firm legal status must consider himself susceptible to arrest and deportation proceedings. But the INS is barred by court orders from deporting anyone to Somalia on the grounds that it has no government able to receive deportees. Abshir lived in Saudi Arabia before he came to the United States. The possibility that he could be sent back there is unclear.

Tim Counts, spokesman for the Bureau of Immigration and Customs Enforcement, said the INS is "aware of the situation and we are looking into it."

Abshir was leader of the National Police when Somalia gained independence in 1960 and gained a reputation for professionalism and incorruptibility, according to his U.S. admirers. Democracy thrived briefly in the 1960s, but when the government tried to steal the elections of 1969, Abshir was the highest ranking official who refused to go along.

Seen as a threat by a new dictator, Abshir spent 12 years in custody without being charged with a crime, he said. Upon his release, he joined a group agitating for a restoration of democracy and was imprisoned again briefly.

He left the country in 1998 for Djibouti, then Saudi Arabia, then Minnesota, believed to be home to the largest number of Somali-Americans.

For two years, he has lived here with his wife and three of his seven children. They are all supported by their married daughter and son-in-law, who is a U.S. citizen. Abshir's wife, Mariam Musse Gul, said that for lack of Social Security coverage, their ailing son no longer has access to medical care and cannot afford needed medication. She and the children may also face legal problems when their visas expire in a few months.

But all of them are covered by the special bill, which is their best hope for a secure future. It is sponsored by U.S. Rep. Thomas Petri, R-Wis., who was a Peace Corps worker in Somalia in the 1960s and knows Abshir from that time, according to Ganzglass. Ganzglass said he had been told that the State Department appeal stands rejected as a matter of policy.

"State doesn't take a position on private bills," he said. The bill is currently "languishing in subcommittee," Bridges said.

Salaan...

Libaax, how is the honeymoon? Is it still burning on wali? ;) Igu salaan walasheey, even if she doesn't know me. :cool:

I have had a vague rememberance of my brief seeing of him, Max'ed Abshir. It was in 1989. He came to our house, searching my father, and my father was in the bathroom. He couldn't wait. He was knocking the bathroom's door, "War sheekh, sheekh, soo bax, soo bax, war baa jiro..." :D My mother was like, "Xaaji Maxamed Abshiroow u kaadi bal, sheekha ha dag dagsiin." I later learned he had the manifesto papers on hand, and he was afraid, had no time. He wanted my father to sign on it. Anyway, it is vague to remember it now, but I always used to hear pretty good things about him, especially from my mother.

I pray him that he would be let to stay, especially on that special bill would take care of it. If America doesn't want him, he can move readily to Canada, as I think he would.

Macsalaama!!

AUN   

It sad to hear such story: all of these are happening because we are stateless. General Abshir is one of the most famous Somali faces, he was the first and greatest general Somali has ever had as he built the best police force in Africa during his time 196-69 He is also a very religious man as I once saw him led us prayer and was amazed how beautifull he knew the quran. Also according to many books I have read many western writers on Somalia such as Lewis, Drysdale and Greenfield refered to him as the greatest, able and and intellect. I do not doubt that he possesses any of these characteristics and I wish him the best and pray that his son gets a speedy recovery from Allah

Waryaa, MACRUUF, adiga Instead of helping me get the best xalwa in the world (MACMACAANKA XAMARWEYNE), you intercepted any shipments and kept everything for yourself. It ain't fair man.

Saxib, all is good and well. Alhamdulilah.

Baashi   

I had the opportunity of meeting Xajji Mohamed Abshir at his house(his daughter's house)in Eden Prairie. He is God-fearing, upstanding Somali citizen. I am very humbled by how he carries himself. He quotes the Quran every now and then in our presence...and he prays for Somalis. I decided not to call him a politician or General from that day on.

Shame on us...now our elders have to face this humiliation. I wish him for the best.

Geesi   

Mohamed Abshir Muse, has powerful friends in the current administration and will very likely get the permission to stay. If anyone of you who lives in his area want to help, write to your local and state representatives. Get the word out and help!

By the way, Libaax Sankataabte, I reject your assertion that one has to lie to the immigration to get a permission to say in the United States.

Kool_Kat   

You know how many times, when I told ppl my full name, they asked me if Moxamed Abshir Muse uu i dhalay...

I never met him, but alwayz knew his name...I heard so many possitive thingz about him...And wish him all the best...

sorry General abshir, i guess what they say is true, the people would only say good things about you when your leaving or either dead....however it is not too late to approciate general abshirs work, we thank him, and we hope he will see one day somalia once again peaceful with great leaders.

in the mean time, we all pray for his sick son, ilah cafimad ha siyo, amiin.

its emotional, i have never heard about him before as i was born during siyaad's dark days, but i read him on Whatever Happned to Somalia, by John Drysdale, great man.

AUN   

iluminati

Yes you are right I have also read his story on another book by Jodn Drysdale called STOICS WITHOUT POLLOWS: A WAY FORWARD FOR THE SOMALIALANDS and also IM Lewis talks about him on several books I cannot exactly remember their names now

ZOLA   

HOPE EVERYTHING WORKS OUT FOR HIM INSHA-ALLAH....HE WAS A VERY CLOSE FRIEND OF MY LATE FATHER..LAST TIME I SAW HIS DAUGHTER ...SHE TOLD ME THAT THEY STILL A HAVE A GOOD CHANCE....OUR

PRAYERS R WITH HIM ..

KOOL_CAT..I HAVE A FRIEND IN TORONTO WHO HAS THE LAST NAME M.ABSHIR... I WONDER IF THE 2 OF U R SISTERS...LOL.

A.A

Kool_Kat   

MALAIKA, may I am...After all, what are the chances of me having your friends Middle and Last Name, and live in the same city...

Ok, luuqa aan ku hadleenaa...