Sign in to follow this  
BN

Somali Leaders Agree on Contentious Issues

BN   

3012439.JPG

SOMALIA: Progress reported as leaders agree on contentious issues

NAIROBI, 26 Jan 2004 (IRIN) - The organisers of the peace talks being held under the auspices of the Inter-Governmental Authority on Development (IGAD) were in a buoyant mood after Somali leaders resolved some of the most contentious issues that have plagued the negotiations, a source close to the talks told IRIN on Monday.

Another source at IGAD told IRIN that a breakthrough had been made and Ugandan President Yoweri Museveni and Kenyan President Mwai Kibaki were likely to officiate at the signing of a new compromise agreement between the Somali leaders later this week.

"We [had] expected that agreement to be signed in the presence of the presidents on Tuesday, but it will now be signed on Wednesday. An official communique will be issued," the IGAD source said.

The talks were then expected to move to the final phase, which would deal with the thorny issue of power-sharing, the source said.

The Somali leaders have been engaged in what organisers describe as "consultative meetings" at a Nairobi hotel since 9 January, when Museveni, the current IGAD chairman, launched a fresh effort to revive the peace talks.

These meetings replaced a retreat originally due to have opened in Mombasa on 9 December, but postponed until 18 December, then again until 9 January - which was seen as an opportunity to jump-start the process.

"The informal meetings between the leaders seem to have had the desired effect: they broke the log jam," Awad Ashara, the spokesman for the self-declared region of Puntland in northeastern Somalia, told IRIN. "This [compromise] has brought back all the leaders to the talks," he added.

The leaders have reportedly agreed on amendments to a controversial interim charter which was adopted in July last year by the delegates to the talks, but rejected as "flawed" by the Transitional National Government and some factions.

A statement issued at the time by the conference organisers said the delegates had agreed that parliament would comprise 351 members; the life of the transitional parliament would be four years; and MPs would be selected by the political leaders who had been party to the Declaration on the Cessation of Hostilities signed in Eldoret on 27 October 2002, and by politicians originally officially invited by the Technical Committee in consultation with the traditional leaders.

The compromise amendments reportedly reduce the number of MPs from 351 to 275, with 12 percent seats set aside for women. The selection of MPs is also specified in the proposed compromise as designed "to address the concerns" of those who had rejected the July agreement. Selection will now be effected by clan political leaders and must be endorsed by "recognised traditional elders". The duration of the transitional period will now be five years.

The leaders agreed that these amendments would come into force after the conference plenary adopted them and after endorsement by the Transitional National Assembly in Mogadishu. This was seen as a formality, since all leaders had agreed to it, a diplomatic source involved in the talks told IRIN.

"It is a compromise agreement, and we welcome anything that will bring the Somali people together," said Ashara.

The mood at the Safari Park [Hotel where the talks are being held] is buoyant," said the diplomat. "It looks as if they [the leaders] have made a breakthrough."

Meanwhile, the leaders who have been boycotting the talks have returned. They include the prominent Mogadishu-based faction leaders, Muse Sudi Yalahow and Usman Hasan Ato; the leader of the Kismayo-based Juba Valley Alliance, Col Barre Adan Hirale; Muhammad Ibrahim Habsade of the ********* Resistance Army; and Col Abdirazzaq **** Bihi of the Gedo-based Somali National Front.

BN   

Somali parties reach consensus on future parliament

NAIROBI, Jan. 26 (Xinhuanet) -- Delegates in Somali peace talks, including warlords and politicians, reached a consensus here on Monday on the formation of a future parliament that will elect a national president, sources close to the talks said.

According to the sources, President of Somalia's transitional national government Abdiqasin Salad Hassan has told a group of Arab countries that the deal on future parliament will be signed here on Wednesday.

The ongoing Somali talks, which have been held in the Kenyan capital, are aimed at restoring what would be the first recognized central government in Somalia since the fall of dictator Mohammed Siad Barre in 1991. Enditem

BN   

Somali warlords, politicians reach consensus on new parliament

NAIROBI, Jan 26 (AFP) - Somali warlords and politicians have reached a rare consensus on the formation of a parliament that will elect a national president, diplomatic sources and delegates at long-running peace talks in Kenya said Monday.

"The president of Somalia's transitional national government, Abdulkassim Salat Hassan, told a group of Arab countries following the negotiations that the deal will be signed Wednesday in Nairobi," said a diplomat following the talks, which are aimed at restoring what would be the first recognised central government in Somalia since the fall in 1991 of dictator Mohammed Siad Barre.

Somalia's best known warlord, Hussein Mohammed Aidid, told AFP: "The Somalis have agreed to settle their differences amicably by signing an agreement which will end the anarchy in Somalia."

Kenyan President Mwai Kibaki is expected to officiate at the signing ceremony.

If the deal is indeed signed, it will be the first time that such a broad cross-section of prominent Somalis -- leaders of warring clan factions, politicians, elders and civil society groups -- all put their names to a document outlining how their conflict-ravaged country should be governed.

The warlords, mostly grouped under the Ethiopian-backed Somalia Reconciliation and Reconciliation Council, were not party to the 2000 talks that led to Salat's installation and, like much of the Horn of Africa country, do not recognise his authority or that of the TNG.

In September Salat walked out of talks in Nairobi after rejecting an earlier version of a blueprint for Somalia's governance.

He was enticed back on board when the size of the envisaged assembly was reduced from 350 MPs to 275 and when elders, rather than just warlords, were brought into the selection process.

Still, a notable exception from the deal will be officials from the would-be independent state of Somaliland, northwest of Somalia proper, which broke away in 1991 and has all the institutional trappings, if none of the international recognition, of a sovereign country.

The future parliamentarians in Somalia will appoint a new national president who will in turn appoint a prime minister responsible for forming a government.

The signing will herald a new phase of the current peace process. The first phase ended in October 2002 when delegates agreed, but went on to repeatedly violate, a ceasefire.

The third phase of the talks will concentrate on how to share power among groups who, for more than a decade, have used weapons to settle their disputes and helped to keep their Horn of Africa country one of the world's poorest.

Liqaye   

brother Horn i wish that i felt your enthusiasm for the on-going confrence in nairobi.

But i already see the ingrained pitfalls, that i believe has been hardwired into the agreement so as to give the warlords an "out" when ever they wish to use it.

For instance tell me who are the so called " recognized eldes" that will chose MP's in concert with the warlords.

Also i ask what level of open mindedness and capability we might expect from men choosen by the likes of sudi yalahow or morgan?

All that we can expect is an incapable lot of qabilists, dedicated to the fustration of any attepts to bring their god fathers to book.

That is if it even goes as far as that.

"in every beggining their in lies the seeds of the endevours destruction'

If indeed that is the case expect another final final final confrence somewhere else in a few months time.

India   

Bari

Look at the bloody map and tell me what is there to be "buoyant" about?????

I mean really Berbera and Hargeis?????

Sometimes one should learn to creep b4 they walk.

Somalia need to worry about herslef beforing dreaming up such grand designs on thier neighbouring countries like Somaliland. Becuase that is what we are today : NEIGHBOURS.

After fivteen years they never learn and that is why I am never optimistic about any out comes of "deals" brokered by foriegns on handouts and charity that could have gone to better uses. The shame they bring on the "Somali" name and they way they keep dragging to the mud is the least hurtfull and the most disgracefull.

And what is worse is grown ups like you who condone thier actions ( Fadeeha)

Somaliland is not perfect (but then whos is?) but compare to those dingies in Nairobia we are by far superior.

Dusty

Gabbal   

Somaliland is not perfect (but then whos is?) but compare to those dingies in Nairobia we are by far superior.

I very much agree sis. But can you give me a plan that will install peace and will better the Somali name, instead of constant insults.

India   

Horn

Ceeeeeeeeeeeeeb. Insults moi??

Brother, from time to time I might say the odd comment that hurts but I never intend them to insult others. I am by birth "inan rer Bari ah(burco)" and its far from my nature/culture to hurl insults on others. I do however stand firm on my principals and believs--Somaliland happens to be one of them.

Now as for a plan or Somalia. Simple "back to basics" not a labour manifesto but a simple sure fire recipe that works everytime.

Somalia elders, true politician (not warlords) and the civil society need sit under a tree somewhere in Xamar and have a heart to heart. They need to be honest and they need to face/accept the reality on the ground.

Trust me, while there are foriegners who care less on what really happens to Somalia are taking the lead role, Somalia will never get justice.

Everyone in Nairobi is in it for the money and that is a fact. I bet my last dime that only a handfull(and that is all you need anyway) will actually show up if the mediation was held in Somalia.

I am sure this is no genious of an idea and many now that this is the way it should be, but what I beg of you is this:

If everone knows and many admit that there will be no peace in Somalia while its being brokered in foriegn lands and designed by no other than the enemy--why are Somali (southern) allowing this to go on???

Miyadan dhiig lehyn??

Dust.

Sophist   

How Somaliland can be a principle that one holds beats my logic walahi. Principles ought to have intrinsic values; or perhaps I am being silly. Oh well may be Qabil principles coated with other names; I suppose that make it alright huh!!!! perhaps Qabiil has instrinsic value????

Gabbal   

Miyadan dhiig lehyn

THAT IS IT! Dhiig ma heesano. If we did, danteena waan garan lahyn.

Trust me, while there are foriegners who care less on what really happens to Somalia are taking the lead role, Somalia will never get justice.

That is also true. Dagoolayaasha (warlords) kibir baa lagabadiyay. They destroy, loot, rob, murder, pillage, and eat away every gold second of Somali life, yet as you have seen in this very SOL forum, there are persons/people quick to defend them. We as Somalis will never see peace and justice and prosperity if that continues to go on and if there are individuals who continue to support a living death of our nation.

OG_Girl   

Somali Leaders Agree on Contentious Issues

I am really envying u being optimistic. Do u really think those in Nairobi ( whom r the accually warlords ) can build our nation again ?!

and who gave them rights to talk behalf of us ?

Finally, I really don't know how some one call him/her self somali can support one of those in Nairobi!!, Whatever their names they r WARLORDS and can't lead us now or in the future.

PS: by the way who made them somali leaders ? I don't remember some one elected them .

salaam

Rokko   

Originally posted by HornAfrique:

yet as you have seen in this very SOL forum, there are persons/people quick to defend them.

Brother, for your infomation Angel_Dust considers Abdiqaasim just another warlord na'mean, and ya are quick enough to defend him everyday na'mean. :D

Miyadan dhiig lehyn??

Goor hore ayaa nalaga miirtay.

"It is a compromise agreement, and we welcome anything that will bring the Somali people together,"

this is why we support this agreement and its our hope that it makes more success how little it might be to keep our spirit high. i think these warlords are showing some leadership signs and we have every right to be optimistic about it. who knows maybe they are making history!

Abwaan   

Originally posted by OG_Girl:

quote: Somali Leaders Agree on Contentious Issues

I am really envying u being optimistic. Do u really think those in Nairobi ( whom r the accually warlords ) can build our nation again ?!

and who gave them rights to talk behalf of us ?

Finally, I really don't know how some one call him/her self somali can support one of those in Nairobi!!, Whatever their names they r WARLORDS and can't lead us now or in the future.

PS: by the way who made them somali leaders ? I don't remember some one elected them .

salaam
I couldn't agree with you more sis....I dont think that people who represent their so-called clans and very personal interests will lead Somalia towards peace. Brothers and Sisters, let us not celebrate before the victory please. Let us unite and work hard to get our country stand back on its feet. Let us (Somali Youth) not be cheated by few old men who have blood on their hands. Please fight against clanism and hatred and Let us unite.

May Allah help us to unite