Sign in to follow this  
Sophist

U.S. Wants Somalia's Islamists to Help Find Al-Qaeda Operatives

Sophist   

U.S. Wants Somalia's Islamists to Help Find Al-Qaeda Operatives

June 15, 2006 (Bloomberg) -- Somalia's Islamist militia, now in control of the capital, Mogadishu, and the southern region, should help find al-Qaeda terrorists and other non-Somali fighters in the country, a U.S. State Department official said.

Militiamen of the Union of Islamic Courts last week took control of Mogadishu from forces of the Alliance for the Restoration of Peace and Counter-Terrorism, which has accused the Islamists of sheltering al-Qaeda members. The movement said last week it isn't an enemy of the U.S.

``Despite their public overtures, we're still not sure what Islamic Courts really want in terms of their strategies and in terms of their relationship with al-Qaeda,'' Henry Crumpton, the State Department's coordinator for counterterrorism, said yesterday in Washington.

The Islamist movement said last week it has put an end to factional fighting by warlords trying to control Mogadishu since President Siad Barre was ousted in 1991. Al-Qaeda has a ``resilient cell'' in Somalia that was responsible for a 2002 bombing in Kenya, Crumpton said in evidence yesterday to the Senate Foreign Relations Committee.

The U.S. has an ``imperfect understanding'' of the Islamic Courts, Crumpton said, according to a transcript.

``We expect them to work with the transition government'' in Somalia, Crumpton told the committee. ``We also expect them to work with us to hand over al-Qaeda and foreign fighters that have found refuge in Mogadishu.''

Somalia must be prevented from becoming a haven for al-Qaeda terrorists, U.S. President George W. Bush said last week.

People's Movement

The aim of the Islamic Courts is to give power back to the people and not impose an Islamic state in Somalia based on the Taliban's rule in Afghanistan, the British Broadcasting Corp. cited Sharif Shaikh Ahmed, the leader of the group, as saying last week.

Somalia, an East African country slightly smaller than the U.S. state of Texas and with a population of almost 9 million, has a transitional government that is working with the United Nations and the African Union to try to establish a plan for national security.

Islamic Courts militiamen yesterday captured the town of Jowhar, 90 kilometers (56 miles) north of Mogadishu, the BBC reported. The transitional government is based in Baidoa about 240 kilometers to the northwest of the capital.

The Somali Parliament, meeting in Baidao, yesterday appealed for an African peacekeeping force to be sent to the country, a move rejected by the Islamists, the BBC said.

United Administration

The U.S. is trying to help the transitional government build alliances and become a united administration, Crumpton said. The U.S. is also trying to boost relief and assistance to the country.

The U.S. is today hosting the first meeting of the so-called Somalia Contact Group in New York to coordinate international efforts to build Somalia's political infrastructure. The U.S. has been criticized by Kenya and the Arab League for inviting Tanzania as the only African nation in the group, which includes the U.K., Italy and other European nations, the BBC said. The UN and African Union have been invited as observers.

The U.S. is ``ready to work with all parties to seek a peaceful solution and the re-establishment of effective governance in Somalia,'' the State Department said yesterday.

More than 300 people were killed in fighting in the past month in Mogadishu, which had an estimated population of 1.2 million people in 2000. Thousands of people have been displaced from their homes in the city, the UN said.

An estimated 1.4 million people in Somalia are in ``urgent'' need of aid, including about 400,000 displaced people in 34 sites across the nation, the UN said June 2. The world body is seeking $326 million from international donors this year to support aid projects in the country in the Horn of Africa.

Source: Bloomberg.com

This is the funniest thing I've read all day. One, because of the word "Islamists", and two, because of the rest of the article. What can a broke, uneducated, shiekh-wannabes do to find this al-qieda or do anything productive for that matter?

Thanks for the early comic relief! Appreciate it.

Paragon   

^^^ THE EMPEROR, I know you are angry, but that is not a way to talk to a sister. Just let her express herself, and in turn, address her more pleasantly. After all, as the saying goes, 'these are words on a screen, words on a screen' :D .

The emperor..Are you of the Court of Islamic bla bla bla...why are you so defensive? Don't get so worked up over little things, ha. Breathe, brother.

I just don't understand why so many Somalis are supporting this group of rebels. Is it because they carry the banner of Islam (even if they carry on the same absurdities as the other warlords)? Exactly what are their credentials? why are Somalis following these group of warlords blindly?

I just don't get it. But then again, I can never really understand Somalis...go figure!

Som@li   

Originally posted by Reality Check:

I just don't understand why so many Somalis are supporting this group of rebels.

I think u have been sleeping in cosy peacefull environment in the west for the last decade, and have no idea of daily mistreatment the somalis faced in those areas, I support the courts cuz I know they will bring some form of stability.

So dear, Somalia does not concern for pple like you, leave this place for once redface.gif

This is the funniest thing I've read all day. One, because of the word "Islamists", and two, because of the rest of the article. What can a broke, uneducated, shiekh-wannabes do to find this al-qieda or do anything productive for that matter?

My dear sister, it seems to me your ignorance about the Islamic movement in our home country surpasses over the ignorance of those talking-heads in Washington. You need to study the nits and grits of the whole issue, and then come here to comment your views as to how you deduce everything from the main picture we discuss of here. We can't educate you for an issue that we are so bussy of with passion and support, especially when you dare to insult it, as you did in the above.

May Allah guide you, sweet and astrayed sister of us. smile.gif

(By the way, don't get offended, for indeed I was warned not to offend our charming girls) :D

Originally posted by Alle-ubaahne:

quote:Originally posted by Reality Check:

My dear sister, it seems to me your ignorance about the Islamic movement in our home country surpasses over the ignorance of those talking-heads in Washington. You need to study the nits and grits of the whole issue, and then come here to comment your views as to how you deduce everything from the main picture we discuss of here. We can't educate you for an issue that we are so bussy of with passion and support, especially when you dare to insult it, as you did in the above.

May Allah guide you, sweet and astrayed sister of us.
smile.gif

(By the way, don't get offended, for indeed I was warned not to offend our charming girls)
:D
Hey, if I'm astrayed because I think they are just another warlord with their own cause, then I'm glad I am one. I know what Islam is, brother. Don't think I have no faith. I just don't have faith in an unorganized militant group waving the banner of Islam. Trust me, just because they kicked the other warlords out does not make them any less unorganized. Let's just wait and see what they do next. lol

me   

@reality check I hope you are well because i diagnosed you to suffer from what we call self-hate syndrome, its symptons are hating everything that is remotely PRO SOMALI. I pray for you that you get well soon.

HEy, I don't hate myself at all. In fact, I am able to embrace the good aspects of the culture, and being exposed to other cultures, I decided to leave behind the bad ones. But, let me ask you a question? Why is the country in the state that it is today ha? What divided (and continues to divide) our country? Clanism.

And now you want to introduce Islamic rule over the country through militant means? Pardon my skeptism, I'm just looking at history and pattern here.

Why is the country in the state that it is today ha? What divided (and continues to divide) our country? Clanism.

You are right. Clanism tore our country apart. But what have you, I and the rest of Cyber Ku dirir done to alleviate Somalia's problems. With all our resources and intellect, those of us in the west and elsewhere in the world couldn't come up anything to get our country out of its current misery. The reality is none of us are willing to risk own lives to save the lives of those at home. Soomaaliya Hal Wax lay uhaynaa and that's talk to about how bad it is, and how screwed its people are. It is good to be opinionated and have a mind of your own, but Hadal Badan Haan Mabuuxiyo.

Now for whatever reason, these men (Gardheere or Gardheere wannabes) took upon themselves to challenge and oust the much hated Qabqablayaa, and it is with God's grace that they succeeded and continue to do so.Only fool will believe that the Wadaado are only here to save Somalia, and lack an agenda of their own. Their presence in the land won't bring eternal bliss either. What it brought however is an oppurtunity to end Isbaaro, Dhac, Kufsi, Dil , and all other heinous crimes commited against the Somali masses. I think we should give them the benefit of the doubt and see how this plays out. SO Lets WAIT N SEE!!!!

P.S. You can't reconcile with Suudis and Qanyares of Somalia. The only thing they respect is force.