Sign in to follow this  
Gabbal

Perhaps Somalia should be left to sort itself out

Gabbal   

THE eyes of a Kenyan businessman I met in Nairobi last week grew wide when he spoke about his recent visit to Mogadishu, Somalia's infamous capital.

An engineering consultant, he had been asked to go to the city to look at the manufacturing plant of a big multinational to see if it could be reopened.

His chartered flight landed on a main road in the city, which had been blocked on either end to form a runway to serve the needs of the warlords running that part of a city that is "sectioned off" and controlled by different factions.

His party was driven under heavy guard to the plant. At lunchtime, when the group opted to go to an Italian restaurant in the city (one benefit of Somalia's history as an Italian colony), the guests were given a quick lesson in firing automatic weapons in case of attack on the route. When asked whether the sound of automatic gunfire in the middle of the day might not alarm people, his hosts said the sound of gunfire at any time of the day was quite normal in Mogadishu.

A hellhole this might be but, as the capital city of a country with representation in organisations such as the African Union, United Nations and the Arab League, it cannot be dismissed easily.

Somalia has been without a government since the collapse of Mohammed Siad Barre's regime in 1991. The number of factions "running" the country, or at least bits of it, has increased from three in 1993 to more than 50.

This has made the concept of negotiations for central power problematic, not to mention the security risks it presents.

The transitional national government, in which the African Union put its faith, ended its three-year mandate in August, leaving the country officially rudderless once again.

Unofficially, the transitional government made no difference. At best, it was said to run only a few suburbs of Mogadishu.

The latest Somali peace talks, currently in Kenya, are the fourteenth round to date, and these have lasted a year so far with little result.

The numbers attending have swelled to nearly 1000 from the 400 delegates invited and the bill is believed to be more than $7m (funded mostly by the European Union). It makes the inter-Congolese dialogue in Sun City look like a walk in the park.

Walkouts by one party or another have become commonplace. The talks have also been marked by incidents of violence and even murder.

Somalis say that the process is not home-grown but being imposed on them, and this is why it will not work.

Another problem is the internal wrangling by and agendas of countries in the intergovernmental authority on development, which is facilitating the talks. Member countries are Eritrea, Ethiopia, Sudan, Djibouti, Uganda and Kenya.

A key problem is the fact that most "representatives" of the Somalis are self-appointed and lack legitimacy. Their riches and power are built on the chaos of Somalia; peace will not benefit them. It is not clear whether these talks will succeed where others have failed. A need for a solution and an impatience with the problem might push them to a conclusion.

But the process lacks strong leadership by the intergovernmental authority on development, and it has little decisive support from the international community.

The president of the breakaway republic of Somaliland, Dahir Rayale Kahin, takes a dim view of the proceedings, saying the talks have become just another business for the warlords. "Some are thieves who were in jail; now they are wearing ties."

Somaliland, which has refused to participate in the talks, may be an example for Somalia to follow. From the ruins of war, it has built a politically stable and peaceful entity from the grassroots, without outside intervention. Its clan system was interwoven into the political structures while its elders smoothed the transition.

Rayale has his own solution for Somalia. In return for his country's recognition, he has offered to host a new round of talks. "We know how the southerners think we used to be in the same government. We can share our experiences with them."

The international community, he says, must leave Somalia alone to face up to its problems, to find a formula that works for it. "There has been fighting on the Horn of Africa for the past 2000 years. It is natural for Somalis to fight and then to reconcile."

His view may not be fashionable, but after 14 rounds of peace talks, who knows? Maybe he i

Games is director of Africa @ Work, a company focusing on Africa.

Source: Business Day

Gabbal   

Riyaale is of course a Somali, and the territory he "rules" is still considered a part of Somalia, so hadee daacad katahay, then I say why not?

Gediid   

Rayale has his own solution for Somalia. In return for his country's recognition, he has offered to host a new round of talks. "We know how the southerners think we used to be in the same government. We can share our experiences with them."

Horn

Read again I think this is Rayaale's condtion for holding the talks.....Now do you still agree or disagree?

Grinov   

Riyoode is hallucinating. No recognition for any lalala lands.

No more SNM, SSDF, USC, SPM, SNF and other thugz.

one somalia forever.

capito vavankuulo,

Liqaye   

^^^^

Brother Geediid.

After 12 years of trying to gain recognition through the front door, by an unprecedented diplomatic campaign, and the setting up of a multi-clan administration, in control of an area of somalia that has seen more or less seen continous peace for the past 10 years, after all of this with Sland having been taken advantage of by ethiopia (that now says recognition is out of thequestion) and the west.

Do you really think that Sland will get recognized by the back door in the way GAULETIER riyale is proposing.

Please I have respect for your arguments but tell me when you are going to come back to earth.

Gabbal   

Gediid bro after reading your post, I realized I skipped over a very important detail.

I would waste over 50 peace process, before I agree in Somalia's butchering.

So Riyaale is into bargaining now huh? What will it be next? If Ethiopia recognizes us, I will give it unconditional access to the sea? :mad:

Gediid you yourself are a very mysterious nomad bro. I gather that you are somehow affliated with "Somaliland", but are unsure about seccession? Tell me where you stand on "Somaliland".

Riyaale mediatating between southerners.....lol.

What a joke.

Hargeysa or for that matter any other outsider can't fix the southern problem. The solution must be come from within somalia itself.

Gediid   

Horn

My instinct tells me that you are asking the question for the hell of it and not because it serves any particular reason.Markaas I think I will leave the answer open for you to ponder over it. smile.gif

Liqaaye

Saaxiib any reasonable Somalilander will tell you that although recognition is a plus yet its not a priority at this moment.Things like maintaining the peace,achieving a semblance of prosperity and educating our youth is our main concern.

Noble Savage

Saaxiib politicians say a lot to look good in the limelight so dont believe all that they say.Knowing the funny characters passing themselves off as politicians ,I think Riyaale or even for that matter a thousand Riyaales can not mediate between them.The only option would be to lock them in a gas chamber,throw away the key and open the valves.

Gabbal   

Gediid

My instinct tells me that you are asking the question for the hell of it and not because it serves any particular reason.Markaas I think I will leave the answer open for you to ponder over it.

There are no ulterior motives concerned so why should it bring doubt to your head? Is it because you think there will be a "backlash" from the pros because of your stance? Really Gediid walaal don't make a pumpkin out of a seed.

Gediid   

I never said there was any ulterior motive on your part saaxiib.All I said is that you asked the question cuz you had nothing else to ask.....So maaha dee smile.gif

Geedid....Gas chambers. You are being very kind to them. If i had my way, i will locked in well-lit cell decorated images of starving masses of 1992. Starve them to death, n let them know how would 9 yrs somali boy in Baidio would have felt.

Saaxib...All somali leadership are da same to me including Riyaale. I can imagine the Dhaqameed of Sland trying to help, not likes of Riyaale. N as there is no hope as long as likes of Yeey n Aided are around.