Sign in to follow this  
Baashi

Reconciliation gathering in Mogadishu

Baashi   

Step in the right direction or a hopeless gathering?

What do you think?

At issue is the:

1. Security

2. Agenda

3. Selection of the participants

4. Clan representation

5. Ethiopian presenc

6. Need of negotiated settlement

You can't go wrong in having dialogue with the folks you disagree. The need to have a negotiated settlement is not a point of contention here.

That being said, there are some outstanding issues that need to be ironed out. Is the Somali problem a clan problem or there are some other complicated and underlaying issue at work here.

Are we reconciling the clans? Yes, No! Where does the Islamist fit in this equation. Who's reconciling the clans? TFG? or Traditional guurti?!!!! Where does the TFG fit in all of this?

How about the Ethiopians? Is the presence of Ethiopian troops in Benadir region a contentious issue? Who invited them? Who opposes them? How does this issue color the overarching foreign interference question?

Is this upcoming proceeding a wholly Somali-owned one? How independent are the delegates? Are they clan partisans rooting for the interest of their clans? Who selects them for this task? Politicians? How about the guurti? Where do they figure in the negotiated settlement spectrum? Are they the drivers? or merely a dispensible pawn of a bigger game?

^^This is your uncle's show, parrot it and propagate it as he told you to do it!

Stop using the Ethiopian tongue and start talking using your gunpower. Mogadishu people are there to attack the enemy within your uncle and Ethiopia in one stroke.

Your job is to remain neutral while maintaining a good sense of dabo-dhilifnimo. Ours is to fight the enemy to the last drop of our blood!

Maxay tahay heshiiskaan, yaa Mr. Neutral, the Amxaaro-minded expert! lol

Kashafa   

Baashi,

Not only is it a hopeless gathering, but from what I hear, it also is gonna function as a madaafiic and hobyo target practice. Simply put, there can be no talk whatsoever of reconciliation while Etho boots still reign supreme on Somali soil. Maxaa laga hadlaa ? To sit down and talk means to legitimize the Tikrey occupation. Furthermore, there is no pretense of independence here. The Tikrey boys have A/Y and the TFG by the balls. All they need to do in order to enforce their agenda is to squeeze slightly. Do you honestly think there remains one brave soul who will freely speak his mind against Ethiopian interests at the conference ? Let's get real. This conference is by no means a pan-Somali effort. It is a naked power play designed to repair the shredded credibility of the TFG while justifying the Etho presence: something that this an anathema to any true Somali.

Those who plan to attend this conference should also write their wills, say their last goodbyes, and buy their kafans. It ain't gon be pretty.

Ms DD   

Please tell me if I am missing something here. I abhor the Ethiopians involvement in our country. However lets think rationally for once. How is continious bombardment from the "freedom fighters" going to achieve peace among Somalis? I think dialogue is much more productive than bullets. My uncle who just came from Mogadishu told me that the Ethiopians are frightened to be in Mogadishu. They are at the outskirts of the city.

In my opinion..in the long run, it is better to partake this conference and hope for the best.

Those who want choas to continue will only prolong the sufferings of the poor somalis. It is good and well to be speaking from your computer in the safety of your home in a stable country. You really cant even begin to feel how the poor somalis feel. They are not even able to find jobs in order to feed their families. This isnt Ethiopia's fault. Lets put the blame on those who are bombing indiscriminately. Maxeyba ahaan laheyd haddii ey madfacyada ku dhici laheyd the occupiers..but it doesnt. Guess who gets killed? We are all passionate and feel for our people. But somethims one has to sacrifice a little to achieve a lot. Lets just look at Iraq..it is going on to 5 years now and with all their bombs and suicide attacks, the US and its allies are still there. So the insurgency has not acheived anything but the killings of 1000s of their people. Is this what you want for our people?

My aunty with her 5 kids live in Muqdishu and whilst she was on her bed, a bullet came throught the roof and nearly killed her. Thankfully it only grazed her a bit. But her neighbours wasnt so lucky.

Taliban   

Originally posted by Baashi:

Step in the right direction or a hopeless gathering?

A hopeless gathering. All parties know only force can solve the problems, so it's better to concentrate on force.

Sky   

I agree only the display of force can move things forward in today's Somalia. This is in fact the only reason why we have foreign troops in our country right now. You've explained it perfectly.

Abwaan   

Originally posted by Sky:

I agree only the display of force can move things forward in today's Somalia. This is in fact the only reason why we have foreign troops in our country right now. You've explained it perfectly.

May be you should have said the right force and more diplomacy together, but not this kind of force and occupation sxb don't you think?

It seems that some of us are naive about things in Somalia. In every adminstration that we have seen why are the majority of its supporters from one side? meaning one sub-clan? why do they hold important posts? Why do they blidly support everything that that this admin does or say whether it is right ofr wrong? isn't that an issue that needs to be addressed?

Rahima   

Munaafiqs do not deserve to be negotiated with, they need to be dealt with in the manner dictated by Islam.

Taliban   

Originally posted by Sky:

This is in fact the only reason why we have foreign troops in our country right now.

Thanks to the collaborators, the foreign troops are in our country right now for occupation, raping our women, killing innocent civilians, torturing and executing our wadaads, iwm. The only means that can kick those foreign troops and their collaborators out of Somalia is force.

Sky   

Originally posted by Abwaan:

It seems that some of us are naive about things in Somalia. In every adminstration that we have seen why are the majority of its supporters from one side? meaning one sub-clan? why do they hold important posts? Why do they blidly support everything that that this admin does or say whether it is right ofr wrong? isn't that an issue that needs to be addressed?

This issue needs to be addressed at the reconciliation gathering in Mogadishu. The same could be asked in relation to the late UIC. Majority of its supporters were from one side, occupying the most important positions and blindly supporting it wether it concerns the oppression of unarmed Somalis, attacking and/or threatening peaceful areas etc.

Thanks to the collaborators, the foreign troops are in our country right now for occupation, raping our women, killing innocent civilians, torturing and executing our wadaads, iwm. The only means that can kick those foreign troops and their collaborators out of Somalia is force.

Ask yourself, how on earth did they pulled it off to be in Mogadishu today? If you are sober, you will realize that the late UIC technically invited them into our capital city.

The UIC called for war and they lost. They shouldn't have started it, if they weren't gonna finish it. Not only have they unnessecarily unleashed the dogs of war of Yeey into Somalia. They have given Yeey the opportunity to build a war machine strong enough to make his authority felt throughout the country. Needless to say this has been your fault, because you can't blame a man for using the tools within reach to attain power.

It's in your best interest to let your dreams of clan hegemony go and give this imperfect interim goverment a chance to work. Buntilaan waa duushey, Soomaalilaana sidoo kale, idinkuna maxaad iska taagan tihiin.

Baashi, this so-called reconciliation conference is sham scheme to fool certain donors. Note the fact that it’s going to be managed by the tfg, which is a part of this conflict. Note the fact that it’s going to be held under the shades of Ethiopian tanks instead of our traditional acacia tree. And more importantly, note how hastily it’s arranged and announced with all the security threats hanging on it.

I doubt it will held on time as marketed.

EboniQue   

Originally posted by Cambarro:

However lets think rationally for once. How is continious bombardment from the "freedom fighters" going to achieve peace among Somalis? I think dialogue is much more productive than bullets.

This clan govt used bullet and Axmaaro to get to Villa Somalia right? So why do you think dailogue would be productive now and not then?

Ms DD   

Why do you think 2 wrongs make right? Arent you guys capable of bringing a bloodless solution to this volatile situation?

Cambarro, the question is not whether dialogue is productive or not yaa sister! The question is with whom, on what, and in what format and framework? Pay attention at how good Baashi formulated his queries. I think he’s asking questions along those lines, and not whether we should have a dialogue or not.

That’s given yaa Cambarta!

Cambarro....There is an implicit threat of violence for those who don't cower in the presence of the TFG and its Ethio backers. This is far from genuine reconcialation. It is just one side setting the parameters of this process, and imposing what's an already foregone decision.