Sign in to follow this  
miles-militis

Rise in mental health disorders, Somaliland

How unfortunate; a troubling trend, if indeed that is the case. War and poverty are known commodities with Somali speaking peoples, but now add drug abuse to the list; o' dear o' dear,

Health officials in Somalia's self-declared independent region of Somaliland have expressed concern over a rise in mental illness, which they attribute to post-war trauma, joblessness, drug abuse and khat use.

http://allafrica.com/stories/200912080927.html

Maximus it is not bashing, it is the reality that Qad drug use is contributing to mental illness. Unfortunately or fortunately for you, many Somalis in all the regions of Somalia are suffering from this self inflicted mental illness.

It is time Somali scholars called for the taxriim (banning)of Qat just the Saudi Scholars did?

Kamaavi   

Originally posted by Peace Action:

It is time Somali scholars called for the taxriim (banning)of Qat just the Saudi Scholars did?

Is it a question or statement? If it's statement, then what's your suggestion, or most effective method to fellow?

If there is any Somali scholar hidding around Sol corners, :D raise your hand now.

^^^ The answer is creation of jobs, jobs, jobs!!

Qat is just a coping mechanism for the lack of hope in one's future. With a livelihood and the corresponding rise in self-worth, qat goes back to being just a weekend recreational drug like alcohol in the West, not a daily addiction.

How to create those jobs is the 'Billion Dollar' question, though...

Hamse   

the worst trade is drug trade and crimal drug gangs?

the people of somaliland are going mentally ill while riyole takes all the money. how sad. drugs iyo wax bas ilahay hanaga hayo. inshalkah it won't come to puntland.

RedSea   

LOOL What a lame attempt to get back at Somaliland. Miles Oodwayne must have hurt your feelings for you to post this old news. Are we getting desperate now? Tell me is this problem spared from folks in E. Sanaag?

^^ Let them let out their frustrations. It's healthy. Oodweyne touches a lot of sore points by continuously harping on the geopolitical realities of the Somali peninsula (how everyone stacks up on the power equation and what their 'real' interests and goals are).

Many wriggle under the pain of his reality check :D

RedSea   

But I fail to see how this correlates what Dr. Oodwayne and Mr. Miles were discussing. This is an internal health related issue and nothing political....which btw is not only immune to Somaliland. This is something Cowke of SOL would post. LOOL

^^^Dr Oodweyne? :D Piracy is a local criminal issue led by a few men, whats that got to do with the people of Puntland? Adeer you have no logic, substance abuse is a major problem, and one that should be highlighted.

Now make sure you dont abuse the stuff, its not nice. :D

Duke, don't argue just for the sake of arguing. You're a secret admirer of Somaliland like many who hail from your region. Don't you remember your post after Adeer Abdullahi stepped down? How you went on about the 'secessionists' and what they've achieved... Or should we post it again to remind you?

Fine, you're on record for opposing 'separation' of North and South, Somaliland and Somalia. It's noted. But the silly line of 'mugged ones' has no-one rising to the bait. Somalilanders are happy where they are today, given where they've been in the past (with the Greater Somalia experiment). There are no appealing alternatives. Theories and 'If I had the Moon' are all well and nice, but we all live in the real world.

So stay on topic in your debate. Don't come down to silliness which I, for one, believe you can rise above ;)

^^^Adeer I grew up in East London, my brothers from the NW are well known to me, I respect them and hold them in high regads, but the secessionist movement led by the likes of Riyaale and mad man Warrabe is nothing to admire, its quite funny how a clever people could belive their own made up lies. :D

No elections, high corruption, frustration and anger at Riyaale dictatorial style. This is whats causing then mental health issues, getting Mugged every other day must have a price on the mental health of the victim. :D

So to entertain your line of thought, does the 'separation' philosophy exist only in Rayaale and Waraabe, or in most of your 'brothers from the NW' ?

I'm trying to figure out how delusional you are in your assessment of what's going on in the Somali peninsula/ or whether you're pretending....