Sign in to follow this  
Wiilo

I Was a Daughter of Islam: (What I discovered when I lifted the veil on my world)

Wiilo   

Fadlan Walaalayaal Aqriya Sheekadaan Cajaaibka Ah.

Runtii Aniga aad iyo Aad Ayaan Oga naxay Markii Aan Aqriyay. Waxaan baarayay Women's Issues on google, when i saw this story.

This is the story:

I was born in Jordan to a Muslim family, and was named Ruqaya after one of the prophet Muhammad's daughters. My uncle, who'd moved to Chicago, told my dad about the wonderful opportunities in the U.S., so my dad moved our family here when I was eight years old. While he was excited about providing for his family, my father worried that we'd grow up "Christian." So while my siblings and I went to a public school during the week, we attended Islamic studies on the weekends. The only friends I had were the Muslim kids who attended Islamic studies with me.

As I grew older, my dad became more concerned about the possibility I'd become "Americanized." So when I turned 14, my father decided I should return to Jordan to live with my grandmother. I wasn't thrilled about living so far from my family, but when I arrived in Jordan, I loved the people, the culture, and Islam, so I was happy to stay.

More than 90 percent of Muslims are of the Sunni sect—those who strictly follow the Qur'an and the Hadith (the sayings of Muhammad). Since my family was Sunni, I prayed five times a day, fasted during the month of Ramadan, read the Qur'an daily, wore the veil (covering my entire body, and showing only my hands, face, and feet), and tried to imitate the prophet Muhammad in every way. But no matter what I did for Allah, I felt I needed to do more to avoid his wrath. I tried to earn his favor so I could go to heaven.

I spent three years in Jordan, but missed my family so much, I asked my dad if I could return to live with them in the U.S. Once I returned, I stopped wearing my head covering because I didn't want to look like an "oddball," but I still kept strong in my prayers and my faith. And I was content—until my father decided it was time for me to get married.

Arab culture dictates men and women are not allowed to date. When a man finds a "suitable" woman, it's usually through family connections. The man and his family visit the young girl's home to meet her family. The "couple" are allowed to speak to each other, but only in the presence of both families. After several similar visits, the couple decide if they want to get married. In Islam, a woman has the right to say no, but in the culture, the family usually pressures the girl to say yes. In both the culture and religion, a woman can marry her first cousin. So when I turned 23, my dad pressured me to marry my first cousin who lives in Jordan. While I was against the marriage and certainly didn't want to spend the rest of my life married to someone I didn't love, I didn't feel I had the choice to go against my father's wishes. My father flew there ahead of me to prepare for the wedding. The rest of my family couldn't afford to fly to Jordan, so my father would be the only immediate family member at the ceremony.

A week later, my elder brother took me to the airport to ensure I got on the plane. Because of tight security on international flights, my brother was unable to take me directly to my gate, so he dropped me off at the main terminal and went home.

As I waited for my flight, I thought about my future. I didn't want to marry my first cousin! But if I didn't, I'd disgrace my family.

In Arab culture, when a woman disgraces her family—or is even rumored to have done so—she deserves to die. I knew if I left the airport and ran away, my family would come after me to kill me for disgracing them. But the longer I thought about how miserable I'd be married to a man I didn't love or respect, the more angry I became. I've fasted for you; I've prayed five times a day to you; I've even studied the Qur'an for you, I inwardly screamed at Allah. And this is what you allow to happen?! Right then, on February 10, 1990, I stopped praying and worshiping Allah.

I grabbed my luggage and escaped to the nearest hotel to hide. I didn't have much money and desperately tried to think of what to do next. I didn't have many American friends because my father wouldn't allow me to be influenced by their "Satanic ways." But I did know one American woman whom I called from the hotel. I told her briefly what happened and asked if I could stay with her for a while. She came immediately and picked me up.

When the plane landed in Jordan 16 hours later without me on it, my father became furious. He called my brother and told him to find me.

I stayed with my friend for a few weeks, until one day my brother showed up at her office with a gun. He told her, "I know you have my sister. Give her back before anybody gets hurt!" A coworker called the police, but my brother left before they arrived. My friend got home that night and told me it was too dangerous for me to stay with her any longer, but recommended I stay at a shelter for women suffering from domestic violence.

When I arrived at the shelter, they told me I couldn't stay there either because they'd seen two men showing my photo at a nearby restaurant. They sent me to another shelter an hour away.

After several weeks at that shelter, and only after I began to feel safe, did I allow myself to feel any emotions. Everything I'd bottled up burst out of me, and I sobbed as I mourned the loss of my family and my way of life.

Because I had a naturalized U.S. citizenship, I joined the National Guard for the government's protection. After my training, I returned and found a job. Miraculously, I hid from my family for four years. But I missed them so much, I finally gathered my courage, contacted my mother, and met with her and my younger sister. We spent most of our time together in tears. The rest of my family had little to say to me. But slowly over time, my family and I began to make peace, and I was amazed at how they finally accepted me back. I thought, Allah didn't neglect me after all, and returned to my faith. I didn't pray five times a day or worship him the way I had in the past, but I thanked him daily and did nice things I thought would please him.

In february 1998, I accepted a job for a company based in Texas. Three days after I moved, I met Robyn, who was walking her dog in front of my apartment. We started talking and became fast friends. So when she invited me to go to her church, I agreed. It's probably okay, I thought. My faith believes that Jesus was a messenger of Allah, too. I'm sure Allah won't be upset if I go to church. I enjoyed the pastor's sermon—except when he talked about Jesus. Sometimes he'd say Jesus is God, and sometimes he'd say Jesus is the Son of God. How could Jesus be both God and God's Son? But I continued to go to church with Robyn until one day the pastor said the church was supporting missionaries in Muslim countries where they don't know Jesus. I thought, Of course Muslims know Jesus. I need to set the record straight. After the service, I introduced myself to the pastor, Pete, and said, "I'm a Muslim, and I do know Jesus."

I was thoroughly convinced the prophet Muhammad was the last messenger and the Qur'an was the last book sent by Allah. The Qur'an clearly states Jesus was a messenger born of a virgin mother, Mary. He performed many miracles such as bringing the dead to life, healing the sick, speaking when he was a baby, and creating a bird out of clay. Allah loved him so much that when his enemies were preparing to crucify him, he sent someone who looked like Jesus to be crucified instead. Muslims believe Jesus never died, but was raised to heaven to be protected from his enemies. Jesus, in the Qur'an, claims he never told anyone to worship him but to worship the one true God, Allah. According to Muslims, the Bible has been changed—and Christians and Jews don't really have the true books. When Allah gave Muhammad the message, Allah preserved the Qur'an and made sure no one changed it.

The more I attended church, the more I wondered why Christians had different beliefs than Muslims; both the Bible and the Qur'an couldn't be right. As I wrestled with Christianity, I asked Robyn and Pete: Was Jesus crucified? Did Jesus die on the cross for our sins? Is Jesus God, or the Son of God? What is meant by the Trinity? Is the Bible really accurate?

I read different books on Christianity and Islam and discovered the Bible hadn't changed; its books were accurate. Then Pete introduced me to a Bible professor, Dan, who took me through the messianic prophesies of the Old Testament and showed me how they were fulfilled in the New Testament. At that point I was able to believe Jesus was crucified for our sins. But I still wrestled with whether or not Jesus was God. In Islam, to believe in any god other than Allah is blasphemous and unforgivable.

On Sunday, August 2, 1998, several months after I started to investigate Christianity, an Iranian Christian pastor named Iraj, whom I met through Pete, called and said he'd like to meet to discuss our beliefs. That evening, I visited with him and told him I believed in Jesus' crucifixion, but not in his deity. I also told him I'd studied the life of Jesus and no one in history compares to him. Iraj said, "Well, if you think Jesus is that wonderful and that he died on the cross for your sins, will you confess that before God?" I agreed, and we prayed together. That was the day I received Jesus as my Savior. After that, God's Spirit began to open my eyes to the truth of Jesus' deity.

It's been almost four years since that day. My dad and elder sister refuse to speak to me. I maintain a relationship with my mom, who doesn't mention my conversion. My brother rejected me. The rest of my family tolerates my new religion.

One of my deepest longings is to see my family and all Muslims accept Jesus as their Savior and to see Christians burdened for the Muslim people, especially the ones living in the U.S.

I'm so grateful Jesus led me to himself. He's been there for me when I needed him—and even when I thought I didn't need him. In Islam, I had to work to earn God's approval. Now I'm free to bask in God's unconditional love! Above all, I'm amazed he loves me so much he died on the cross for me—so that now I'm a daughter of God.

Inlaa Lillaahi Wa innaa Ilayhi Raajucuun:

Wabillaahi Toqfiiq:

nuune   

and that is what happenes when member of the family runs away from their family, who is to blame, the family or the daughter, I think both.

I feel sorry for this lady, she should have done something else rather than visiting churches and christian missionaries or shelter for run away women.

it was very simple, they told her she prays five times a day, everyday reads the Quran, does more to get Allah's blessing, and yet she is not getting anything from Allah, they came from an angle she didn't understood, and they convinced her they did all this favour for her through Jesus, and she accepted, maskiin.

this story aad baan ooga naxay, and again I feel sorry for this lady.

Wiilo   

nuune walaalkiis, aniga i don't feel sorry for this lady, and i tell you why? Marka horre, haddii aad tahay qof ad adag si kastaba wax ha laguugu sheegee ma aadan qaadateeyn diintaata ka tag, marka xiga yaa ku yiri Illaahay la xisaabtan.

Bal sheeg meesha laguugu yiri Ilaahay ayaad la xisaabtamikartaa, ma jirto. Hal mid uun bay tahay this lady xaalkeeda, markii hore waxba ka ma jir cibaadadeeda maxaa yeelay, qof truely Islam ah waxaa soo kale kama suurtoobaan, oo iska markiiba diintiisa kama baxo. Aniga conclusion kayga waxaa weeye, this Lady, markeedii horre ayay ahayd wax xun oo "Gaala" Raac ah, marka aniga runtii hadalkeeda iguma socdo............

Wabillaahi Towfiiq:

this made me angry, jesus is her saviour? arghh! :mad:

she stopped believing cause ilahi tested her and she failed. those that allah has steered away from the path, none can save other than Allah Himself. insha allah shell see her faults... thats if this is accually a real story and not one being past around by christians trying to "save" muslims. they wont be happy til we reject our faith to join theirs. subhaanallah.

OG_Girl   

This type of stories always seem to be of someone who was a good Muslim and at the end of the day found the light. The people who write this type of story never understood the religion nor the culutre they are writing about. There are so many holes in the story and therefore I conculded is a fabricated story.

Look at this : Sunni sect—those who strictly follow the Qur'an and the Hadith (the sayings of Muhammad)!!!!!.

they are telling us Shia dont follow Quraan and Hadith.. :confused:

Other thing ,someone who tried to imitate the prophet would know a lot better of the religion than that, they wont take off their Hijab cause they come back to America (and espically if they are scared of hell, even if they felt an oddball!!)...

Whoever wrote this story they insulting little brain we have redface.gifredface.gif .

<-------****** Shakes her head , give the Gaalo break!!.. will you*******?

Salam

OG_Gilr; you are right dear this post is full of holes and like you I believe it to be a fabricated story. It makes you wonder how always, the good Muslims find the light!!

Even if we assume the story to be true, I don’t think someone like that would change so easily. What is more I don’t think they would have had the need to go to the church in the first place, unless they already didn’t believe in what they told us about themselves!

It seems though, we blame the west for all our problems and I wonder when we will accept them and deal with them? The west are our enemy but our biggest enemy is ourselves. If this story is true I wont blame the west but ourselves.

Wiilo   

Assalaama Calaykum Dhammaantiin:

I totally agree with both of you, iam the one who posted this story, and i also believe that it is a

fabricated story. I don't think, someone who is really a true Muslim will do such thing. Something was wrong this lady to begin with, and that led her to this.

Wabillaahi Towfiiq:

Bambina   

Salam ALaykum

Only God knows if this story is false or true but to me it looks like it was fabricated , because I wonder how a faithful person would decide to become Christian if she truly believed in Islam.

I think the woman is very disturbed.

The story seems phony, but then again, maybe inanta way fududaatey.

and that is what happenes when member of the family runs away from their family, who is to blame, the family or the daughter, I think both.

Cidda oo inanta dhaleen maa blame saare?

You are making excuses for this woman.

If this story is true, then I don't think her running away has anything to do with her converting to Christianity.

There is no question that this woman is lost, she never had Karti to begin with.

Maybe she wanted to belong with her Christian friends, and she dug a deep hole, and realized that she couldn't dig herself out of it.

I'm sure she would have said the same thing if she had a Jewish friend instead of a Christian friend, or even a Hindu friend. My point is that it makes no difference, and I don't think with her running away from her family had anything to do with anything, therefore I disagree with you Nuune.

Senora   

^^Yup!^^

Yeah, we've established that the story could be false, but there could be a greater chance that its true...

There is an ayaat, that i can't remember at the moment that talks about this. It discusses how you could sleep a muslim but wake up a kufaar, or is it "you can live a muslim but die a kufaar"...anyways, I'm sure many of you know what I'm talking about.

It was inevitable...her dad, brother, mother could do nothing to stop it...

Wiilo Walaashiis as i was reading this article and Hoping for a happy endind Like a somali Guy whom i watched on Video, Who became christian, wotked in the church But fortunetly finds his way back to islam again,, I Was hoping for that End, but i was dissapointed when it ended the way it did :( .

if wat this person stated above is true then this that she became christian is un normal, she said that she used to pray 5 times a day, and worship ALLAH in a proper way, then this happened,,

Alah SWT said in his holy Quran: inna salaata tanhaa 3anel fa7shaai wal munkar, so may be her prayer was out of nothing..

as many said bfre me , there are Holes missing in this article..

thnxz any way sis WIILO

Wiilo   

Golden Girl sis, Allaah only knows, but this is how the Article was written when i saw it, so Allaah only knows. And I haven't hear that Somalian dude ur talking about, Islam religion is not a joke, u can just convert to Christianity, and then convert back to Islam, so, wow, Allaah guide us on the right Path sis........

Wabillaahi Towfooq:

There may be holes in the topic . But the message is clear Muslims do convert.

In turkey, the Alevi community (Followers who follow Seyyidna Ali- Shia) are in a dilemma as a majority of their youth are converting to christinity in large numbers. At the end Muslim youth are attracted to Christinity as more effort in preaching the Injil and the material assistance( education benefits...) are provided by missioners.

, u can just convert to Christianity, and then convert back to Islam

Islam has strict rulings when a Muslim converts to any other religion --> execution