Sign in to follow this  
Gabbal

Ethiopia expels US poll officials

Oh click 'Home Page' to access the whole site...

Khaalid lol,

So u familiar with BNU? Nah actually I am at PKU. When were u in Beijing? Yes China is one big basketball crazy world. From time-to-time I give dem a taste of my wicked cross-over… Ni de Zhongwen zenme yang?

Jamaal,

Wellerstein’s explanation of this phenomenon is correct, however his works often attribute this to the unequal international division of labor, and the unequal distribution of the political/economic influence in the world. But I think the unequal development between Urban/Rural areas are part of the development process and to be expected. However, this is not easy to manage since it poses tremendous pressure on governments to limit the side effects.

Dhimbil   

Khaalid lol,

So u familiar with BNU? Nah actually I am at PKU. When were u in Beijing? Yes China is one big basketball crazy world. From time-to-time I give dem a taste of my wicked cross-over…

lol..yeah they crazy about basketball and karaoke. Yoa Ming is huge in Shanghai. I was in Beijing a month ago!

Ni de Zhongwen zenme yang?

^^Saxiib, it's bad wallahi. I only remember Ni hao......Zen me zou or Wo qu zhe li....Zhe shi shen me lu? and Qing or qing wen. Stricly for getting around. Although the ring roads were great, hard to get lost.

Paragon   

Garyaqaan, thanks for the info sxb. I understand what you are saying. It comes across like a paradoxical fate for those who wish to be developed by a country that is herself developing. What will be the pace between, say, an African development programme and a Chinese'? Will both developmental programmes skip together, or will the pace of the chinese go faster than the Africans? If so, will this mean sacrifices on the African part? Any idea about this sxb?

PS: Garyaqaan, are you done with China for the time being? If you go back to China, an online journal (such as a blog) will be nice to document your take on things. Ofcourse that would be of benefit to me :D .

Khaalid, lol maybe the Chinese' shortness makes your tallness to be compared to MJ smile.gif . Why are they basketball crazy, laakiin?

Bachelor   

April 14, 2005

Posted to the web April 14, 2005

Washington, DC

Prime Minister of Ethiopia

Democratic Republic of Ethiopia

Addis Ababa, Ethiopia

Your Excellency:

We write to express our concern and dismay over the recent expulsion from Ethiopia of representatives of the International Republican Institute (IRI), IFES, and the National Democratic Institute (NDI) by your government. With support from USAID, the three organizations sought to assist the democratic process and preparations for your May 15 general elections. These organizations carry out nonpartisan programs and support a democratic environment in which the integrity of the election process can be ensured and all parties understand their rights and responsibilities.

IRI, IFES, and NDI were coordinating with the National Electoral Board of Ethiopia to support the work of the election commission, dialogue among political parties and election authorities as a means of enhancing confidence and participation in the electoral process, political party pollwatching, and the creation of a code of conduct for the elections. All three organizations have been making good faith efforts to gain registration in accordance with established laws and procedures and were assured by representatives of your government that their registration would be approved expeditiously.

In over 20 years of working around the world, until now no government has expelled NDI, IRI, and IFES. We are particularly perplexed by these expulsions at a time when your government has stated its intention to organize an open and democratic election process. This action will only raise questions about the credibility and transparency of these elections.

The United States and Ethiopia have a history of friendship and cooperation. We continue to support the democratic aspirations of the Ethiopian people, and look forward to returning to Ethiopia to assist with future elections. Until then, we urge the Government of Ethiopia to work towards creating an environment conducive to increasingly free and fair elections.

Sincerely,

U.S. Senator John McCain

Chairman of Board of Directors

International Republican Institute

Relevant Links

East Africa

Ethiopia

United States, Canada and Africa

Legal and Judicial Affairs

Hon. Madeleine K. Albright

Chairman of Board of Directors

National Democratic Institute

This letter was delivered to the Ethiopian Embassy in Washington, D.C. April 13, 2005.

source: http://allafrica.com/stories/200504140859.html