Sign in to follow this  
Taliban

Person of the Year 2006: Sheikh Sharif Sheikh Ahmed

Taliban   

sheikh-shariif.jpg

Somalia had myriad of heroes, but none like Sheikh Sharif Sheikh Ahmed, the young chairman of the now toppled Union of Islamic Courts (UIC,) who spearheaded an unflinching public uprising campaign that ended a decade and half of turmoil in Mogadishu and South-Central Somalia.

Hiiraan Online recognizes Sh. Ahmed as the person of the year 2006 for his profound contribution to that short-lived effort.

We understand that Sh. Ahmed and the UIC are no longer in the political arena of Somalia, (at least for now), following Ethio-TFG’s incursion, but Sh. Ahmed’s legacy lives with us, ostensibly forever.

The son of pious a father, Sh. Ahmed mastered the Qur’an and Islamic theology at puberty. He later studied law at a Libyan university.

He was barely known beyond Jubba high school, where he taught geography and history during late 1990’s to early 2000. At some point, a valedictorian student of him was kidnapped by one the nefarious Mogadishu warlords for ransom.

Aghast by this action, he assembled a force that successfully freed the student. This victory provided him a daring conviction that he could put a squeezing halt on the notorious kidnapping-for-ransom business in the CC neighborhood, where he lived and worked. He was elected to head the Islamic Court of CC, which soon annihilated the organized gang activity in Towfiiq.

Sh. Ahmed realized that all organized gang and warlord activity could be curbed with courage and conviction. He embarked on an audacious plan to improvise a unified umbrella for more than the 30 individual Mogadishu Islamic courts, operated by distrustful clans.

Thought to be impossible, he detached almost all Islamic courts from their clans and amalgamated them into a new force, dubbed “The Union of Islamic Courts (UIC.)”

The new UIC jittered the foundation of Mogadishu warlords, who jumped hoops to cajole Washington’s deep pockets for anything labeled “anti-terrorism.” Before we knew, the CIA was bankrolling a new, unprecedented alliance, aptly called “The Alliance for Peace and Counter-terrorism.”

It was doomed alliance. The UIC, under the deft leadership of Sh. Ahmed, crushed the warlords to near death, and pacified Mogadishu for the first time in 16 years.

UIC removed nearly 300 roadblocks around the country, re-commissioned Mogadishu International airport and seaport, all the while extending its hand to the Baydhabo-holed Transitional Federal Government (TFG.)

In the process, Sh. Ahmed, 43, was often referred to as the “moderate face of the UIC” in the Western media. Indeed, he developed an aura that appealed to all walks of the society, including his enemy. He’s famous for his superior oratory skills and negotiation capacity.

Simply, he might be the best leader Somalia has ever known.

His tenure was ended last week with Ethiopia’s invasion of Somalia, while helping the Transition Feferal Government.

Hiiraan Online recognizes Sh. Sharif Sh. Ahmed as the person of the year 2006, not only for his magnanimous personality, but for spearheading a fledgling, non-monolithic group, which, at times, overstepped its powers, and, at other times, underestimated its enemies.

Whatever the cause of failure of the UIC maybe, Sh. Ahmed epitomized peace for six historic months in Somalia, where he captured the stage by every stretch of the imagination. Without him, Mogadishu, dotted with the tanks of Somalia’s once arch enemy, fear and confusion is lurking in the minds of its embattled residents, as a new chapter of their live opens, rather precipitously.

We wish him the best luck in his future endeavors. Please join us in congratulating him and wishing him well.

Hiiraan.com

Taliban   

We wish him the best luck in his future endeavors. Please join us in congratulating him and wishing him well.

I wish Sheikh Sharif Sheikh Ahmed the best in this life and the next one. Allahu Akbar.

4cs92c5.gif

CHE   

I would think so too.He served the populace of Muqdisho well, and would have served them better if he had not become mouth-piece for Sheikh Awey's agenda.I wish him well.

Abwaan   

Indeed…Taliban....I couldn’t agree with Hiiraan more sxb………………I haven't met any Somali regardless of their clan or political view (you know many Somalis and their clan driven political views towards Somalia) who says anything negative about Sh. Sharif, a true leader and Somali. She Sharif is on the top of the list of Somalis who would definitely get my vote for leading Somalia.

Brothers and sisters we know many good Somalis were killed in the unfortunate civil war over the years. Many people who would have done a great job for Somalia Ilaahay kulligood ha u naxariistee, let us for once save the remaining please.

The calm, positive and wonderful leader, Ilaahoow Sh. Sharif iyo inta la midka ahba Soomaali u xafid.

From what I heard he is a likeable person, one you could admire and look up to. But I will guarantee you that there are people who simply dislike him, whether it is tribal reasons or political reasons. But their hater or opposition for him doesn’t demand any attention and it doesn’t discredit Sh. Shrif in anyway.

Best of Luck to him, I am sure he will learn from his mistakes. He eventually will be careful of who he trusts or associates himself with next time.

How not to wholeheartedly agree?

Is it really a coincidence that the unholy Crusaders are so keen to eliminate him by providing the Ethiopian planes with updated satellite intelligence in this very moment?

This exceptional character, that I never imagined in my wildest dream for our people nowadays, was way too noble and sincere for Somalis increasingly subjuged by Western secularism in addition to fratricidal rivalries and religious superstitions, to follow him; it goes without saying that this is precisely such "shortcomings" Allah' enemies can't tolerate.

At any rate, many more will rise inshallah as our Islamic sense can only be awakened by the Crusaders wicked terrorism.

And that is what matters...

PS: Let's not forget to include him in our prayers, especially at Salat-ullail and this Friday!

Warmoog   

Hiiraan Online picked the right man. I cannot think of anyone more deserving of the title than Sheikh Shariif. Kudos and all the best to him!

Shariif is an honourable man with great integrity. He was put on a very difficult situation many times and InshaAllah he will pass this latest test with flying colors.

May Allah bless him. I know he is busy planning so I won't talk about him as a "gone" fella.

Whatever the cause of failure of the UIC maybe, Sh. Ahmed epitomized peace for six historic months in Somalia, where he captured the stage by every stretch of the imagination. Without him, Mogadishu, dotted with the tanks of Somalia’s once arch enemy, fear and confusion is lurking in the minds of its embattled residents, as a new chapter of their live opens, rather precipitously

Hats off to the Great Sheikh.

Castro   

What amazes me today, more than anything else, is that a person like Sheikh Sharif (unanimously admired by Somalis) is hunted down like an animal by an invading army and its collaborators while the real animals who fed on the people's flesh for decades are entering their former hunting grounds like royalty. And yet some wonder why this puppet government has no support.

What is wrong with this picture?

Originally posted by Castro:

What amazes me today, more than anything else, is that a person like Sheikh Sharif (unanimously admired by Somalis) is hunted down like an animal by an invading army and its collaborators while the real animals who fed on the people's flesh for decades are entering their former hunting grounds like royalty. And yet some wonder why this puppet government has no support.

What is wrong with this picture?

We are only living the wrong time in the wrong planet, where sound reasoning is bordering insanity!

BiLaaL   

Only when the dust settles will we come to realise and fully appreciate the deeds of this blessed personality. I've posted some of the following words in an earlier thread. I feel them to be relevant to this thread, so here they are:

Sheek Shariif has proved himself to be a born leader. The world, both Arab and non-Arab were impressed by his gentle manner, clarity of mind and political astuteness. Sheek Shariif will surely come to be immortalized in Somali history. He along with Sheekh Caweys have taken their rightfully earned positions alongside Axmed Gurey and Muxammad Cabdille Xasan.

Like many others in this thread, i agree that he should not be written off as yet. Praise be to Allah who has once fulfilled his promise and will once again fulfil his promise to all those who work good.