Sign in to follow this  
xiinfaniin

Times discussions on Somali Pirates

Mintid Farayar: I think your imagination is dangerous for you.

This is a policing operation the Pirates dont run communities they dont control areas, their movements are fluid they move in small groups, that melt into any area. Even these coastal areas are not theirs.

They have focused the worlds attention on Somalia.

Meiji   

Gen.Duke,

Lets cut the crap. There is a reason why the Pirates are concentrated in the region above Xarardheere/Hobyo, namely Northeastern coast.

Why is there no Piracy in Northwestern Somalia? Why is there no Piracy in Southern Somalia along the coast of the Jubba regions? Both straits are as strategicall as the Indian Ocean close to the Northeastern coast of Somalia.

Piratestan will be the first victim of the coming Western move against Piracy.

Xidigo   

Originally posted by Gheelle.T:

^Do you rob people on you spare time? What a logic you have there. I want to live in a luxury on theft kuyeh..Go rob some banks and tells about it.

When you have children and you don't have anything to feed them, I can guarantee you that you would do anything for their survival including robbery. I am sure you're comfortably enjoying your welfare check in front of the TV.

To me those pirates are brave men who are trying to survive in an unsurvivable environment.

loool. I know you are frothing from the mouth dear lad. Your argument as usual is simple, Its the same way one can say why are so many looters and roadblock merchants in Mogadishu and not in Bossaso & Hargaysa? Why so many fake religious groups from that area?. Its both historical and geographical.

The modern day Pirates started in Puntland area because of the fishing traders of that region.

The abuse of the sea and so on.

Thus a few years back a group was created around Eyl-Garacad and this group is the modern organisation that has profited the most and brought the worlds attention. Haradheere group joined a few years later and they have expanded.

Thus dear lad keep wishing, this is no more than a police operation. However they are not IndaCade and Co who delcared war on others and then hid behidn the women and children.

Thankful   

It is strange that Eyl is the only base in Puntland, you'd think that towns in bari and mudug would also have bases that started competing with Eyl, but you don't. Only Eyl, Nugaal has set up a pirate haven where the majority of ships are being held close to, bring them supplies and other things. When I was there I never heard of any other pirate area from people then Eyl. President Faroole being from there should be able to close it down without force. And not allow that activity to take place there like other provinces have. You'd think that places like bari that is so much bigger then nugaal would have bases but it doesn't. Enough is enough, forces need to be sent there and shut down if negotiations don't work. Lets see them try and move to somewhere else.

^^^loool. You already got your answer. This wont do a thing to Puntland, no IndaCade prayers will harm the state.

Also the west under Obama is quite different.

Meiji   

''The modern day Pirates started in Puntland area because of the fishing traders of that region.

The abuse of the sea and so on. ''

Duke,

Is it the fishing traders or the ancient ways of those folks in plundering of shipwreckeds? The ancient phenomenon of sea scavengers?

These remarkable pirate colonies thrived from the riches plundered by the sea scavengers. As long as these sea scavengers enjoyed the support of clan elders, all went well. Some of the scavengers have even ruled these pirate settlements as chiefs and clan-leaders and continued to carry on their scavenging business.

Alarmed at the level of pillaging going on around the Cape, historian Wayne Durrill unveils a 40-page letter written by an American expeditionist, Charles Graves, some time in 1878. In his letter, Graves described how sea scavengers preyed on shipwrecks and how the scourge of Cape Guardafui was made sacrosanct. He wrote:

So important did shipwrecks become to the sultanate that in 1878 an American visitor among the ********** reported: “A priest is stationed in the mountains near Cape Guardafui who prays day and night that God will drive Christian vessels ashore that they may plunder them! This was told me by the Chief of Hunda [Hurdia?] who regarded it as a very prudent, proper and pious precaution—he thinking I was a Moslem.”

See History of Piratestan

^^^Lool you need to do more research. The Pirates are a little network that has caught the imagination without looting Somali's, raping Somali's sending suicide bombings and so on.

Simple sea men who made millions from taxing the west.

As for your anger I know where its coming from and trust me the West wont carpet bomb Bossaso as you wish. This is a sly game of cat and mouse.

Nothing to do with the people or government of Puntland.

Meiji   

Duke,

History has already shown that you end up defeated and humiliated everytime you entertain yourself with playing a ''sly cat and mouse game''.

Your ''sly game of cat and mouse'' with the Italians in the 19th century ended in humiliation and utter defeat of the two clan chiefs. Your ''sly game of cat and mouse'' with the Ethiopians ended in utter humiliation after the main figure A.Yusuf was thrown in jail by Mengistu, then freed by Meles to be used and thrown away again to end up in Yemen.

Your ''sly game of cat and mouse'' with the West will result in more humiliation.

The thing is: Everytime you play this ''sly cat and mouse game'' and get humiliated and defeated, you take Somalia with you, like during the Italians, during the Ethiopians and now the West.

Time will tell.

I deplore this piracy.I also believe that if you want to change an individual’s or a group’s behavioryou need to impart a cost or consequence. Therefore, paying ranson is reward and is enabling, to say the least.

However, there appears to be another side to the story. (http://www.huffingt onpost.com/johann-ha ri/you-are-being-lie d-to-abo_b_155147.ht ml) It appears, according to reports from several sources including the UN, that there’s been a history of nuclear and medical waste dumping by European entities off the shores of Somalia. This has gone on unchallenged due to the absence of a Somali government and global intransigence. The Christmas tsunami that hit Somalia subsequently dispersed this waste upon the shores and caused significant illness and injury to communities adjacent to shore. Additionally, again due to the power vacuum, the waters off Somalia have been rapaciously fished by predator non-Somali fishing interests.

The story goes that Somalis themselves went to the waters themselves to evict the foreign fishing boats. This then advanced into the piracy extortion we see now. Justifications have emerged from Somalis themselves that the monies are to be used to compensate lost revenues of the fisherman and clean up the waste that was dumped. How much of this is truth and how much is mere rationalisation for piracy is quite unclear. However, it certainly bears strong consideration in the overall picture and clamor for blood.

There’s a case for punishment here for MANY parties.Again, there’s a need to impart a cost to not just the pirates. Perhaps, we have an opportunity to deal comprehensively with this matter now, one and for all.

I liked this one too...