Sign in to follow this  
muslim sis

ISLAM - A WOMEN FRIENDLY RELIGION

a/c wr wb

to my sisters in islam i found this article one of my favorite islamic sites I would like to share with you // icon14.gif

BY SAYDOON NISA

Women have been generally portrayed as second class citizens. Their plight is being highlighted globally and on a massive scale, daily. Major initiatives are taking place both in Islamic and secular circles to give women their rightful place in society. What is overlooked is the long history of Islam's gender equality and the many examples around the world of how Islam continues to promote women's opportunities. Early Islamic history is replete with famous women jurists and scholars. Muslim women were famous in all fields of knowledge.

Shaikha Shudha, known as Fakhr al Nisa, living in the 11th century was well known in literature, rhetoric, poetry, and history. She gave public lectures in mosques in Baghdad attended by many 'ulama' scholars. In the spiritual field, Rabia al Adawiyyah, known as Rabia Basri, a great Sufi of Basra in the 8th century infused the concept of divine love with such intensity that she devoted her whole life to contemplation of Allah. Khadijah, the wife of the Prophet (SAW) was a successful trader. She used her wealth in the way of Islam by helping the poor, in freeing slaves and propagating the message of Islam. Khadijah was one of many women who, at that time, ran their businesses. Aisha bint Abu Bakr, the daughter of the first caliph and wife of the Prophet (SAW), was an authority on the Sunnah - she narrated hundreds of authentic ahadiths.

Women were consulted in the conduct of political affairs by the caliphs from the 7th century right to the end of the Ottoman empire. Umar ibn al Khattab, the second caliph, consulted with both Shif bint Abdallah and Samara bint Nuhayk who worked as inspectors in the market of Madinah. Women were among the first Muslims who were forced to leave their homes because of persecution and then spread the message of Islam. Among the martyrs of Islam, Sumayyah, a woman, was the first to lay down her life for the cause of Islam.

In the Qur'an, the main source of Islamic teachings, men and women, have absolute parity: "The true believers, both men and women, are friends to each other, they enjoin what is just and forbid what is evil, they attend to their prayers and pay the alms tax and obey Allah and the Prophets." The only characteristic which distinguishes and differentiates between human beings in the Qur'an is piety. "Men and women, we have created you from a male and a female and divided you into nations an tribes that you might get to know one another, the noblest among you in the sight of Allah is he who fears Allah most." Both men and women are encouraged to acquire knowledge. The Prophet (saw) had stated that the quest for knowledge is obligatory for every Muslim - men and women.

Women are empowered both in secular law and Islamic law, the examples being South Africa, a secular state,which has women in parliament and institutes of higher learning, and Sudan, where Islamic law is implemented, women are also in parliament and institutes of higher learning. Do we find the high status and equal treatment of women that Islam prescribes? Definitely, yes! The above information is known to all human kind. What is lacking is its implementation!!!

J.Lee   

FINALLY! Thanks I hate when non-muslims say Islam degrades,abuses and mistreats woman when in fact we're more independent,educated and sophisticated than their woman in more ways that is uncountable. I'm glad I read this article thank you abaayo you just made my day.

shyhem   

Islam is agood movie with bad cast,our religion gives rights to both women and men but in most cases we really know nothing about our own religion let alone showing agood example to the rest of the world.I hope we do something about this in the near future inshallahu.