Sign in to follow this  
LANDER

Land Grab In Mogadishu

LANDER   

http://www.middle-east-online.com/english/?id=26821

Somali government destroys Mogadishu homes

Hundreds of families displaced after their homes were demolished by Somalia’s transitional government.

NAIROBI - Hundreds of families in Mogadishu have been displaced after the government demolished their homes, residents told IRIN on 9 July.

"They [Mogadishu officials] have destroyed our homes by force and we have no place to go," Fadumo Omar said. She said the affected area, Loyado in Abdiaziz district of north Mogadishu, was home to 450 families.

Omar, who is more than 60 years old, said she had lived in Loyado for over 40 years. "I had 13 children and the children have had their children here. Now all of a sudden they destroyed my home and displaced me."

She said officials from the Benadir region [Mogadishu and environs] began destroying the houses in June and the demolition was ongoing.

"They were here this morning, but we are not going away," Omar said. "Mogadishu officials came with a bulldozer and destroyed more homes today; they had technicals [battlewagons] and we had nothing. They told us if we did not get out of the way we would get hurt.”

Omar said the order came from the mayor's office. "We have nowhere to go. I don’t know what we will do," she added.

Mariam Ahmed, another resident, said: "Every morning we gather and sit on the rubble of our homes."

A local journalist, who requested anonymity, said there were reports that some rich businessmen were interested in the land at Loyado. He said Mogadishu officials had said the area had become a hideout for criminals and that is why they were demolishing buildings.

"They [Mogadishu officials] are using security as an excuse, but it is really about money and these residents are poor, with no major clan affiliation to protect them, so they are an easy target."

Ahmed said the residents had written an appeal to senior Transitional Federal Government (TFG) officials but had received no response.

Muse Nur Amin, the minister of interior and national security, told IRIN he had given instructions for the demolitions to stop. "If the Mogadishu municipality has restarted them I will investigate."

He said the rights of "all these people will be protected", adding that those who were legally moved for whatever reason would be provided with alternative sites.

IRIN's attempts to obtain a comment from the mayor's office were unsuccessful.

Originally posted by General Duke:

Somali government destroys Mogadishu homes:

I thought they had no power lander, are you contradicting yourself again?

Ahh the characteristic callous disdain of the TFG supporter. Darn those terrorist grannies with their houses of terror and their terrorist grandchildren! :rolleyes:

^^^No adeer, its a simple question, in one instance you folks tell su this governemnt has no power, then you say it is taking people's homes. That makes no sense thats all.

Which one is it? As for the crimes, its appaling to take peoples homes, should not be done.

Is it a crime to murder civilians in the name of Jihad?

Originally posted by General Duke:

^^^No adeer, its a simple question, in one instance you folks tell su this governemnt has no power, then you say it is taking people's homes. That makes no sense thats all.

Which one is it? As for the crimes, its appaling to take peoples homes, should not be done.

Is it a crime to murder civilians in the name of Jihad?

I never said the TFG has no power, and in Mogadishu they have a relatively decent amount of influence. I just find them sickeningly corrupt, morally bankrupt, dim-witted and short-sighted.

A year and a half ago they were given the whole country on a silver platter, and even Somaliland was quaking in their boots. They have managed to squander it all away by mismanagement, infighting and corruption.

Even if they weren't Ethiopian proxies they wouldn't be fit to rule the country.