Sign in to follow this  
me

Comments on Somali Unity by Jama Mohamed Ghalib

Rahima   

You're talking about regions and politics when you're dealing with sick hearts and minds. The political aspects/wrongs are just manifestations of this- that is which you should be concerned with at this moment.

There is no point protesting about unity when others don't share the vision because clan is more important- do you not see this point? This problem is subject to all the mini states, not just one.

Change should first be with the hearts and minds of the people, then you move onto politics and the running of the country. If you don't have the attention/agreement of the hearts and minds, you won't get far in the political arena, hence why we are always inclined to having bloodsuckers as leaders.

me   

The people are st-upid, they will follow whoever leads them. Do not concern yourself with the people.

Ask yourself what is the right thing? And do the right thing. Don't shy away from the right thing just because there is no support today. If those who care about Somalia as a nation would work just like those who care about division are working we would not be in this mess.

The fact that people with brains just like your self are not willing to do the right thing just because of few obstacles shows you the reason why these diseased minds and hearts seem to be in a majority today. Speak out against evil because silence is consent.

me   

People with diseased hearts and minds should not stop you from wanting the right thing. Find those who think like you and start there, do not hope to be changing the mind of a clannish person overnight. You don't even have to change their mind. They will change their own mind when they see an alternative.

Work on the alternative or atleast support an alternative ideology then accepting the clannish reality, just because they seem strong today.

Clannism is a weak ideology and it can be destroyed, especially if you look at al the wrongs it has done, clannism has discredited itself, I don't think there is anyone who can argue that clans are good.

Rahima   

They will change their own mind when they see an alternative.

Provide the alternative then talk about changing minds.

What’s the point of calling to unity when you yourself do not have it?

me   

I am not Somalia. Can you not see the difference?

I am an individual Somali, just like the people you making out to be differnet who are also individual Somalis.

me   

lol...Rahima, I expected nothing else from you.

You where defending a cause you did not believe in. The reason you where argueing was just because of 'PRIDE'. You did well I must admit smile.gif

Rahima   

^ I believe in it, it's just i find it hard to discuss with someone who writes:

I am not Somalia. Can you not see the difference?

:D:D

That is not the bloody point now is it? (it's a rhetorical mate)

me   

You are against unity thats all.

I mean even if you don't believe it can be done. You can atleast say its the right thing and that its an admirebale cause. Whats wrong with saying that?

I mean you pray for peace, why not pray for unity smile.gif

about that rethorical stuff, my sense of humor is not well developed so be careful MATE!

Rahima   

You are against unity thats all.

You know when one has nothing worthy to argue but the same regurgitated stuff, they tend to make baseless accusations as you have so done in this discussion thus far. Allow me to refresh your memory on my view of unity:

Unity is the ideal, but since we can’t, let secession take place. Hopefully you will be able to discriminate between the two. Ideal vs. reality.

I realise that English may not be the first language of many of our people, laakiin this is very very clear. If you somehow deduce from this that I am against unity, then your problems surpass that which I choose to delve into.

That said, you cannot tell someone to love when you hate, you cannot tell someone to clean when you do not (you as in Somalia). i.e. you cannot try to ram down the throats of others a concept which you do not have yourself. Somalia is full of hate, clan and disunity. Don’t worry yourself with SL, work on eliminating that hate, clannism and disunity (lol, obviously you have the energy). The prophet worked on his own people, reer Makka first, then to the folks of surrounding towns/cities including Ta’if and Madinah, then off to the rest of the world. In that is a very good lesson me. Work on your own house first before preaching to others. Also learn how to attract others, putting them down is not the way to go.

N.B. I am not comparing fellow Muslims to the quraish, just providing an example of how one should achieve the propagating of the right.

about that rethorical stuff, my sense of humor is not well developed so be careful MATE!

I gotta love the cyber world :D , people making threats like they matter. To ease your mind laakiin, mate is a nice word, likewise bloody down here is not cay ;) .

me   

hahahahah@ theats OMG, easy sis.

It was a joke; it was never intended as a threat but thanks for the laugh.

About my people ïŠ

You say that I should work on ‘my people’ as if Somali people are not my people. As if the people from the North West are not 'my people'?

If you are saying that ‘my people’ are not Somali people, I wonder what I am then. If you are calling a clan my people, you are wrong because I have no clan. I am Somali period.

So who are these people that are ‘my people?’

About unity

If unity is the ideal and disunity is the reality.

Working for unity would be an admirable cause. A perfect example you have brought forward is that of our prophet scw. Uniting the people of Mecca and Medina and eventually all the Muslims. This is am example worth following and I am glad you are on the same boat as me when it comes on the issue of unity.

What troubles me is that you say that UNITY IS THE IDEAL, yet you treat the divisions that are among our people today as impenetrable barriers that divide us. The Somali people are one, one Nation.

By saying you and them, by treating ‘regions’ as different from each other and pretending they have nothing in common you are creating barriers. Or at least recognizing illegal barriers that should not exist among brotherly people, you are ignoring the basics of WE ARE ALL THE SAME.

Recognising that what unites us and working on strengthening it would be much better for us all, as Somalis and as Muslims.

Unity is not one flag or one land, it’s an idea and it’s an idea that transcends all those barriers that you are so willing to recognize. Clans do not divide us, nor do warlords or fiefdoms. If you believe in all of us as the same people, then that’s all it takes.

So Rahima, are you and I part of the same nation, same people and the same race or are we different?

About my way of talking or arguing well smile.gif what can I say? I not perfect far from it actually, but I believe in the right thing and nothing should ever discourage those who believe in higher goals.

Ps. I wish I could copy paste like you can.

me   

"about that rethorical stuff, my sense of humor is not well developed so be careful MATE"

this was meant as in becareful TAKE IT EAsY WITH ME.

The emphasis on teh MATE was because of your aussie way of speaking.

Anyhow

I understand, when people are on war path they see things differently smile.gif

Rahima   

There are precursors to unity, namely peace, love and want for unity (people have to want unity, you cannot force them because you think it's the right thing). You need those before you can fight for unity.

Fight for those first, that’s my take on it. Like I said Somaalida kill and hate each other, preaching unity to them at this point is like telling a gaal to pray- it's useless.

I'm not on a war path me, perhaps i misunderstood your humour.