Sign in to follow this  
me

Comments on Somali Unity by Jama Mohamed Ghalib

Rahima   

lol.....yes he was, he was a henchman for the dictatorial regime. He was a member of the dreaded NSS.

Who cares?

Look at our godforsaken leaders and criticise them instead of attacking the establishments of people who are actually doing something for themselves. Who cares what Riyaale did, at least he doesn't have the blood of the innocent on his hands unlike our lovely leader.

Walaahi you people need to get over Somaliland. Somaliland is gone, goodbye and good luck to them. You have more pressing issues to concern yourselves with, namely the state of your own politics. At least they have a common goal and unity. At least they are making positive strides, what are the Somalis from Somalia doing other than bickering about useless tribes just like in this forum? Nothing I tell you, not only do they hate for SL to progress, they also hate for each other to progress. Lecture them!

me   

^^^ Who cares? I care and stop being so emotional sis.

Its my country, they are my people and I have every right to say what I want about it. Don't make me remind you that we are on a SOL forum. A forum that is dedicated on giving people with different views a platform to express their ideas.

Thank you for recognizing that Rahima.

Secondly I have few other points

1) Somalis are clans not tribes. We are one tribe called The Somalis.

2) Please read up on the Sland issue, because I can not make your mind up for you. If sanctioning the partition of Somalia would solve anything then I do not think that any sane Somali would appose that. So please sis read up on the issue, on what the pro's and con's are. You can start thatby reading the article on the top of this tread.

I have also taken the opportunity to provide you with a few links on the subject.

http://www.benadir-watch.com/2006%20News/0417_Sd_haunted_by_mythology.pdf

http://www.benadir-watch.com/2006%20News/0503_Sd_Charges.pdf

http://www.wardheernews.com/Articles_06/may_06/ILLUSORY__SOMALILAND.pdf

Thank you

me   

To Mister President of Somalia. What would you like to have prove on? That Riyale was a member of the NSS and was the head of the NSS in Berbera. Or that he is guilty of war crimes?

The first is easy to prove. Yes he was the head of the NSS in Berbera for the dictatorial regime. There are witnesses, poeple who worked with him and there are documents that prove he was a member.

On the issue of him being guilty of warcrimes.

I dont want to burn my fingers on that, but where there is smoke there is fire and the NSS were no boyscouts.

I have copy pasted this for you maybe it sums it up.

"Somalia

National Security Service

Shortly after Siad Barre seized power, the Soviet Committee of State Security (Komitet Gosudarstvennoi Bezopasnosti--KGB) helped Somalia form the National Security Service (NSS). This organization, which operated outside normal bureaucratic channels, developed into an instrument of domestic surveillance, with powers of arrest and investigation. The NSS monitored the professional and private activities of civil servants and military personnel, and played a role in the promotion and demotion of government officials. As the number of insurgent movements proliferated in the late 1980s, the NSS increased its activities against dissidents, rebel sympathizers, and other government opponents (see Human Rights , this ch.). Until the downfall of Siad Barre's regime, the NSS remained an elite organization staffed by men from the SNA and the police force who had been chosen for their loyalty to the president."

SOO MAAL   

Pandora's box of secession conflicts.

Somaliland seeks recognition for sovereignty

June 27 2006 at 09:49PM

Hargesia - Somalia's breakaway enclave of Somaliland, briefly independent in 1960, called for recognition by the world community as an independent state.

"It is unfortunate to look for recognition today, 46 years after Somaliland got freedom and recognition," President Dahir Rayale Kahin said at a banquet on Monday to mark independence day.

The former British protectorate was independent from June 26 to July 1, 1960, before joining the rest of Somalia.

Somaliland wanted to "realise its destiny and aspiration to join the free nations of the world", he said.

Kahin has just concluded a 12-day tour of six African states to push for recognition of his country, which declared independence in 1991 after warlords toppled Somali's military ruler Mohamed Siad Barre.

So far the world has withheld recognition, preferring the old colonial borders to avoid opening a Pandora's box of secession conflicts.

Independent Online, South Africa

Somaliland leader not attending AU summit

THE PRESIDENT of the self-declared Republic of Somaliland, which the world recognizes as northwest Somalia, will not be attending the African Union heads of state summit currently being hosted by Gambia.

Somaliland newspapers and Web sites have been grooming President Dahir Rayale for participation in the AU summit as an observer for several days. But according to reliable diplomatic sources, Arab nations have pressured Gambian President Yahye Jammeh to deny an observer seat for the breakaway regional leader.

In 1991, "Somaliland" came into existence after the SNM rebel movement that fought against long-time Somali dictator General Mohamed Siad Barre declared unilateral independence from Somalia, claiming borders of the British Protectorate of Somaliland. President Rayale recently returned from a trip to six African nations and met with heads of states to push Somaliland's independence agenda within Africa.

Somaliland's finance and information ministers, Awil Ali Du'ale and Abdullahi Mohamed Du'ale, are currently in Gambia advocating for a last-minute participation in the AU summit by President Rayale. Meanwhile, Somaliland foreign minister Edna Adan Ismail is in Hargeisa while the finance and information ministers perform her governmental duties in Gambia.

The AU summit officially opened today in Banjul and all of Africa's leaders are expected. Sudan and Somalia are said to be the top two agendas of the summit and Somali president Abdullahi Yusuf is in Gambia to present his government's controversial military intervention agenda to the AU leadership.

Garowe Online (contribution from Somali news wires)

Rahima   

Clan tribe, whatever really, doesn’t matter much to me ;) .

That said me; the SL issue has been done to death, enough really. The Somalis from Somalia sound like a bunch of jealous losers who cry over the houses of others when they can’t get their own in order. Start with yourself and those who agree with you- leave others alone. Worry yourself with the SL issue once your own house is in order.

I’m pretty sure I could resurface a million such topics in the archives of this forum.

I find this obsession and jealousy embarrassing redface.gif .

me   

Where am I from? In case you can't see. I am a Somali Northerner from the North West region. A born and bred Hargeysawi. So this whole Somalis from Somalia does not go for me.

The issue is not as straight forward as you might think and thats why I recommended that you read up on the issue.

If you are bored by discussions on Somali Unity feel free to ignore them

Thank you Rahima ;)

Rahima   

^I try my dear, i really do, laakiin the embarrassment takes over :D .

As for the rest, where you were born these days does not necessarily dictate your political views, it’s all about that which caused our demise.

You are most welcome me, it’s up to you how you take my advice, but really unless you’re a real SL, it just sounds like you’re jealous (not just you necessarily – general terms).

me   

Are you talking clans sis? hmmmm so are you saying that SL is a clan entity? and that people from certain clans have no rights on talking about it?

Please make your points clear.

If you are saying that Sland is a clan entity do other clans have the right to have their own 'states'and to secede from the Somali Republic? or to secede from the hypothetical Sland?

How does one acquire the citezenship of the hypothetical Sland if birthrights do not count.

Rahima   

^ As far as i'm concerned, Somalis can break themselves up to in a hundred clan entities (which the Horn is now anyway) if they so wish, so long as they achieve peace and prosperity, short of selling their religion i don't care how they do it, even if along clan lines.

I've lost hope that we are able to clean our hearts of this disease so they might as well do something positive with it, no?

And yes, whilst unfortunate (don't think i agree, i'm disgusted by it) SL, PL, Mogadishu and every other land within the Horn is along clan lines. That's the fate of our people.

SOO MAAL   

Rahima

I am from northern Somalia, and I have a say like majority of north Somalis to counter the secessionist militia led by Riyoode

Riyoode (the former Siad’s secret agent) is a notorious warlord and he has blood in his hands like your lovely leader :D

Riyoode dreams to restore old European colony, all Somali people particularly northerners like myself must resist the division of brotherly Muslim Somali people on the basis of brief colonial history, there is NO British Somalis or Italian Somalis in Somalia

For me the most pressing issue is the fate of my home region in northern Somalia

North Somalis are Somalis from Somalia

Since you support the opposition of the transitional government (islamic courts) Do you hate the government and the Somalis who support the government? When you speak against C/yusuf, the transitional government or state their weaknesses, are you jealous of c/Yusuf, his government, or the supporters of the government?

Rahima, many Somalis are against the transitional government and support the Islamic courts; I believe it’s unfair to accuse them tribalism , hate, and jealousy.

As well, it’s unfair Rahima, to accuse those who are against the secession and riyoode militia tribalism,hate, and jealousy. I think its offensive to some north Somalis and uncalled for

unless you’re a real SL,

Are saying non-real SL (I guess you mean those who opposing secession mainly people from pro-union regions within north Somalia) cannot speak for their home region north Somalia?

where you were born these days does not necessarily dictate your political views,

it’s all about that which caused our demise.

of course, everyone is entitled to have his own personal views

North Somalia is populated by different and diverse clans like south Somalia, accordingly there is no one clan militia can hijack the whole north

You mean tribalism, be straightforward, that could explain why some north Somalis are supporters of Riyaale’s clan militia and others are opponents and resisting the Somaliland

Really, I disappointed with your comments, I felt you were not fair to pro-union Somalis in the north, is it because all about that which caused our demise, as you said.

SOO MAAL   

^ As far as i'm concerned, Somalis can break themselves up to in a hundred clan entities (which the Horn is now anyway) if they so wish, so long as they achieve peace and prosperity, short of selling their religion i don't care how they do it, even if along clan lines.

Fair statement

I don’t think its good idea or we can gain peace/development to divide Somali people into a dozen rival Somali clan-states in 21 century – the age of globalization, unity and alliance, a time that nation-state is declining, entire Europe is becoming one country – the home of both world wars and 80 million people vanished.

A Europe with million different languages, nations, religions, cultures, harsh history with million wars for the last millennium united under one flag

I believe Somali – the most homogenous people in the world with one religion, language, culture, tradition can unite again and restore unity and brotherhood of Somali regardless of the civil war

However, I personally don’t mind, if any Somali clan/region wants to secede, it’s reasonable and acceptable, because there is the right of self-determination of every people, any Somali clan/region should be able to secede if they want and can achieve peace through secession.

If northwest Somalia wants to secede that’s something acceptable, and reasonable

But what’s unacceptable and intolerable is for riyoode militia to claim all former Somali British colony because of brief colonial history

NO one should be forced to be part of Somalia/Somaliland/Puntland or any other land colony

I support unity only when people willing, unity should not be forced to any one, forced unity is not unity its new kind of colonialism.

Rationally, If Somalia is divisible, Somaliland is as well divisible

As a northern Somali I aim to be co-citizen with each and every Somali person if possible

I am for voluntary unity of all Somali people/clans/regions

Salaan...

To some, slicing the country into many jigsaw pieces is no big deal. Nothing at all.

But Amxaaro ayaa xuduud beenaad kasoo tilaabsaneyso, all hell is loose. Suddenly, they are wadani. I don't know what they are wadani about since they don't believe any wadan at all, and to begin with.

Don't they also know breaking into that pieces a country like ours fits perfectly the Amxaaro/Tigreey political stratedy they have for our country.

Talk about misplaced national priorities.

Salaan...

To some, slicing the country into many jigsaw pieces is no big deal. Nothing at all.

But Amxaaro ayaa xuduud beenaad kasoo tilaabsaneyso, all hell is loose. Suddenly, they are wadani. I don't know what they are wadani about since they don't believe any wadan at all, and to begin with.

Don't they also know breaking into that pieces a country like ours fits perfectly the Amxaaro/Tigreey political stratedy they have for our country.

Talk about misplaced national priorities.

The irony of the age...