Sign in to follow this  
Jumatatu

The cost of Hosting the TFG...was it worth it..?

STOIC   

Caaqil,I know there are emergency law that are put in place by the Kenyan government to restrict the movement of the inhabitant of that region.Twenty years ago if you may remember the Kenyan government,tired of Somali interclan conflict,took a certain clan of that population and tortured them to death (Wagalla masacre).I am not in any way defending such atrocities committed by Kenyan government.I beleive that justice should be served to those poor orphans whose dads were stripped naked in the plain field.But here is my objection to the leaders of that region.They have the power to raise their voice and demand justice as they sit in that parliament.Instead of demanding their god given rights they all look after their interests and wellbeing of their family members.When you visit places like Nairobi today you will witness this so called leaders from that region living in villas and their kids attending private schools while the poor whom they suppose to represent are without good health care system and schools.One wonders to question himself whom to blame for this state of helplesness.Should you blame the government for not providing the best it could offer or should you blame this fat politicians who are supposed to represent them!.Today people from that region can not blame the government for not inviting them to participate in the development of their province.They ought to blame themselves for electing inefficient leaders.Do you remember when Kenyan government invented the somali identification card specifically for the Somalis?.Who were the people behind this racist identification card ?They were the So called leaders of that region who happen to be Somali!.Thinking that they will restrict other Somalis from moving in from Somalia they come up with this idea. I think there is no great deal to be said of this leaders and the region.Why would Kenya be interested in people who discriminate against each other?.

The economy part, you are right that NFD is where great deal of hides and skin are transported from.They do contribute a great deal of meat to the economy from their lonely doted province in the Kenyan map!.The livestock business is not something predictable since it takes one big drought to wipe out the animals.I hope you don't misunderstand me for being negative on the province.I lost hope and touch with the region long time ago.

**Thanks for the thesis info i will check it if i can find it****

Coloow   

Assalamu calaykum,

Stoic,

I agree with your analysis bro. However, we differ on who is to blame. The NFD somalis never gained independence- instead of being free from the white man's rule, they saw themselves colonised by kenya.

I was born in the NFD and I have witnessed several attrocities against somalis by Kenyans. Collective punishment of villages, tribes and ethnic cleansing.

The Malka re massacres in the late 70,s was instigated by kenyan armed forces when they rounded up somalis they suspected of being shiftas.

In 1981, a poacher by the name of Abdi Madoobe came to a leisure centre in garissa and killed a local official of the game department who previously had tortured him (unconfirmed reports state Mr. Madoobe was castrated). This event triggered a tightening of the state of emergency in the whole province. The Kenyan armed forces were given the license to kill "any" somali they suspected. A day later, dozens of somalis were killed in mosques, on the streets- the worst of this atrocity was when the only boarding school in the region for somali females were raided- almost all the girls raped! Kariuki, the then minister came to garissa and said kenya would "colonize" the province.

Curfew was declared in the whole province and elsewhere, rape and humiliation was a daily routine. In down kenya, somalis found themselves targeted!

In the 80,s two clans in western Wajir were induced to fight because of the electoral constistuency. To make sure, the divide and rule strategy works, the kenyan government made sure that a consistuency was constested by two tribal candidates. Of course, somalis , being nomads have interclan clashes caused by accessability to grazing and water- and skirmishes are a common occurance. In the traditional somali spirit inter-clan conflicts of this sort were resolved without blood shed. BUT this particular conflict was instigated by kenya- and the result is the wagala massacre.

The so called leaders are stooges. They are more concerned with personal gains than what happens to their society as you mentioned- but isn't this the case when you have a colonial power? The massa-slave mentality.