Sign in to follow this  
QalQaali

Best Somali football team in 2005

Salaan...

Not many people know this, but in pre-war in our country, our football league and regional tournaments were a lot more exciting with a diehard passionate supporters, some themselves becoming famous fans.

Compared to those fans of European leagues today, oh, they were some fans and confident in our own football -- only one other Afrikan country equally had those passionate fans in their own league, which is/was Masar.

The fadhi-ku-dirirs at that time discussed Soomaali sports teams with intensity, and which one deserved the best. The teams such as:

• Horseed
  • Waxool
  • Madbacadda
  • Badda
  • Minishiibiyo
  • Wagad
  • Batroolka
  • Gaadiidka
  • Jeenyo
  • Dekedda
  • Muqdisho
I can remember an older and old xaafadmate of mine by the name of Kunciil who never was able to sleep if his team -- I think it was Badda or Horseed -- lost. Who used to curse anybody who mouthed any slight negative thing about his team.

Some, like Berluscuni of today, were highest government officials, like Cali Samatar, whose support for Horseed was so ardent.

Those were indeed waayo waayo.