Sign in to follow this  
Laba-X

Al-Shabaab

Emperor   

The Somali Conflict

Somalia has in the past two decades seen one of the worst civil wars documented, hardships and inter-clan conflict in which people suffered both in lives and wealth. The consequence of the civil war and the scars left still remain in the head of the average Somali person. A dirty factor of clanism is implanted within their heart and minds; now that didn’t just happened because they are clanists for the hek of it but when people have witnessed the death of their beloved, daughters rapped and their wealth forcibly taken, that is a real suffering which touched them mentally as well as physically and led them to believe in the magic power of what clan can do to you. Somali individuals became mentally retarded and always have a biased view about other clans trusting only their kinfolk alone as safe, and that is exactly how the Somali nation is.

It’s not easy task to eradicate this problem and needs more time and a long secession of counseling which is not on personal level but on national level. Good words alone and a claim of introducing the holly book isn’t adequate enough for many unfortunately, it’s easier said than done and many people wouldn’t want to bring themselves to believe that should a man of different clan take power they wouldn’t be harmed. Today, if some (modest measure) in fact majority of reer PL are claiming that UIC/Alshabaab is a clan that aims to rule them by force, and the majority of reer SL think they are Somali clan looking to dominate and abuse them much like Barre regime. Forget what one has to say one to other inside Mugadisho, that's another story. My question and the moral of my rambling comes here, did Alshabaad do anything to treat that concern or ease the pain, no in fact they added the insult to injury. In brief this problem does not stem purely from Alshabaab but as mentioned in this part's title it routes within the Somali Conflict.

In reality it’s not possible for any single Islamic movement in Somalia to wage Jihad at this current condition, the greatest barrier would be the lack of trust and old enmities amongst the Somalis, only unless a proper healing and reconciliation process is carried out, forgive and forget about the past and all unite under one banner like the prophet SAW resolved and united Aws and Khasraj acted as their unifying factor.

Emperor   

Al-itixaad Factor

This movement was created in late 80’s and became very popular in the early years of the Somali civil war during the 90’s, unlike Alshabaab/UIC the leadership of this movement was under famous men among the Somali Culuma, they were mostly old men that knew the Somali culture and situation at the time, some of them had formerly taken part in the Somali politics. To name few, some of the leaders of the movement were the now controversial cleric Hassan Daahir of Mogadishu, C/qadir Gacamey of Pland and Sheikh Ali Warsame of SL while Maxamed Sheikh Osman the then owner of Al-Amal money transfer company acted as the spokesperson of Alitixaad.

Their objective as they proclaimed was to rule Somalia by Sharia law and sought to end the Somali inter-clan conflict which at the time was at its peak. They laid down an outstanding strategy and aimed to improve the social fabric of the society, they vowed to train and teach the people employing the ‘bottom up’ slogan, building the foundation and the essential that would get them to the top.

The movement introduced Free Quranic Madrasas and schools; they regularly and intelligently reached out to the people giving useful and influential lectures in the Masjids, city streets and anywhere deemed to be appropriate. Alitixaad and their supporters have managed to win the control and management of every Masjid in almost the entire of the Somali peninsula in a very short time, the people and almost everyone was convinced of their good character, hard work, trustworthiness and profound contribution to society. For that reason, traditional elders and societal leaders of many Somali regions have peacefully handed power to them without any blood and without a single bullet fired e.g. Lower Jubba, Puntland and Gedo.

A short while in their rule of the respected regions suddenly confusion started which stemmed up both from within the movement and external factor of Somali inter-clan enmity and lack of trust. Many former politicians who lost power to Alitixaad have taken advantage of this and used it as an opportunity to turn the populace against the movement. Some of the Culuma and leadership of the movement did hurriedly miscount what was at stake and failed to foresee the future, instead before they waited for the public’s blessing they vowed to keep and defend by force the power and that leadership which was handed to them peacefully and ultimately led to their demise.

The moral of this story is to question and challenge you, how can Alshabaab which we all know their level of Islamic knowledge, influence on the public and also man force can forcefully attain Islamic state if Alitaxaad, a movement that enjoyed more wide support, contained many experienced men both in terms of religious Culumo, politically aware with more man power and influence had failed to achieve that goal. I don’t necessarily mean to say that it is impossible to have Islamic state in Somalia, in fact I believe it’s doable, Itixaadka could have done it and their strategy almost worked, we need the likes of them with higher caliber individuals and patience, more patience, patience….

Emperor   

The TFG and the Ethiopiam factor

No sane Somali human being will want Ethiopia to take the Somali country, logically that would have no benefit or interest on my part, but you wouldn’t take or swallow my take on that, will ya? LX this is not necessarily for you is for the rest as well Lol...

The TFG isn’t without dirt, it’s full of it and as well, it has done so many mistakes but it’s the only entity we have, I will give them the benefit of the doubt as I have no other choice. The government has a term and will come the time when it expires, and in the end change will come whether for a good or for a worse, it’s the likes of you that need to make the better change by joining and adding the fluid that it misses, opposing and getting rid of it entirely is not a positive change but destruction, remember change comes gradually… Rome wasn’t built in a day.

In any case, LX saaxib, if you believe or would rather guarantee me that with the dissolving of the TFG and the ousting of Ethiopia will close once and for all the chapter of the Somali inter-conflict and hardship, bring about the much needed unity and makes Somalia one peaceful nation, let me know and I will promise to be with you shoulder to shoulder.

Ilaahay hanoo wada gargaaro, wa usalii wa usalimu calaa sayidinaa muxamadin wacaa laaihi wasaxbihi wasalim, wabilahi tawfiiq

stoit   

Emperor

Well that was a comprehensive look... much obliged.

I know not much about Islam so my view is simply from common sencse.

Firstly i do not understand as to WHY this government is not seen by many as ours. Even if after the long walk (this government was long in the making)and the subsequent formation of the TGF, which in my opinion was as representative as it could get for us(we are tribaly devided whether we like it or not and the west is regionally devided so they elect from counties or regions and we from tribes),some decided that it wasnt for them should they then not wait until the end of term.

In the UK now the tories are more representative of the public as the local elections show ,yet they cant already oust the labour government can they now ? It is the general elections that decide that.

Shouldnt we then see those that are not willing to follow procedures and readily resort to violence as the ones in the wrong ?

I think it is chaos that we ought to avoid more than anything else. Chaos kills more than any invading army can, and alshabaab insist on disruptions of order. ALLAAHU ACLAM.

Laba-X   

Emperor, iga raali noqo walaal. Sidaad odtahay sxb I have been quite busy lately and it has thus taken me some time to reply to your voluminous posts.

As I mentioned in my earlier response to you, one of the important things in a discussion is that we see things from a wider perspective, rather than limiting ourselves to just one viewpoint. But since you are, as you mentioned are proverbial for, staunch in your stance and support the government with full conviction, then I doubt you this discussion will bear any fruits. I want you to be impartial, not biased, and give each party its rights. I am not hereby coercing you into supporting Al-Shabaab, but rather to state the truth, in accordance with the Sunnah of course. And speaking purely from an Islamic perspective here, it is not wise to judge things by how we see fit, but instead by how Allah deemed fit.

Your first objection was that to the call of Jihad – its application to the Somali conflict. Whilst we both agree that Jihad has its Axkaam and all, lets be clear and unambiguous about what we say. When you say:

it [Jihad] shouldn’t cause more fitna than which you strive to eliminate and it shouldn’t also lead to the disintegration and the destruction of the Muslim society but instead unite the whole Ummah

…What Fitna are we hereby referring to? Is there any Fitna greater than the occupation of a Muslim land by polytheists? Shouldn’t religion be defended at any cost? For those innocent souls caught in the crossfire, they will be raised each according to his intention and acmaal. Or are you referring to the killings of government troops as Fitna – because if you are, then a lot more things need to be clarified and defined before that.

As for Nasr, we cannot delve too much into it because we simply are not knowledgeable enough of it to discuss it or its nature and to whom Allah grants it to. But sure of it as the day I am that Al-Nasr has a condition as Allah states in the Qur’an:

‘In tansuru-llaaha yansurukum…’

And how does Allah the Almighty need your Nasr? By fighting for His deen so that His words and rulings are elevated against those of the polytheists. Also, I do not maintain that Nasr comes about as a result of killing Kaffirs and bombing places. But winning a battle against the Mushrikeen is certainly a Nasr from the Almighty. Is it not?

for any two armies one can defeat the other, any side can win a single, two or three battles,

…When armies engage, and one is fighting for the sake of Allah and the other is fighting for Taquut, Allah is with those who are engaged in His path. If one trusts in Allah and carries His message with conviction, then as Allah mentioned in various verses in the Qur’an, Allah paves a way for him for everything. Only if the level of Imaan of the believers is depleted or so low that there is no difference between them and those whom they oppose, does Allah leave them to their devices. Then it becomes a test of muscle power. Other than that

The problem today is that Muslims want to proclaim victory without having to work for that victory. There was a time when a Muslim man would go and confront Rustum in nothing but his tattered clothes and sword and demand the dates from his land because his children liked them. Today, out of our spiritual weakness and deficiency in Imaan, we are shamelessly imploring the disbelievers. All this because we have disregarded the tenets of Islam and our weakness is caused primarily by our love of this world and the riches it contains as the Prophet forewarned us.

Today an enemy is in my house slitting the throats of my children, raping my women folk and slaughtering the men and here we are debating whether it is Jihad or not! Doesn’t even common sense dictate it my prerogative to defend myself with whatever means I deem fit and necessary to repel the enemy at my doorsteps?

You measure Al-shabaab’s achievements as having destroyed Mogadishu, having killed civilians, disregarding the plea of the greater populace. We all know that Mogadishu’s destroyers are there today perforating the remaining few edifices of the city with shells and mortars. It is clear as daylight that the civilians, including government’s troops, are routinely massacred, mutilated and raped on a daily basis by the invading forces. How could you then proclaim Fitna when it is mentioned that Al-shabaab have killed someone and not when the Ethiopians, with their perverse methods, rape and kill our women everyday? Why is it easy for you to invoke curses upon them and not on the transgressions of the Ethiopians? And as for their denial of the greater plea of the populace, you may be surprised to counter the vivid reality on the ground – Al-Shabaab this very moment has more ground support than the invading forces and their puppet poltroons.

You also touched on the fact that SL and Pl have their reservations about the youths claiming they are clan groups masquerading as Islamic warriors. What the SL and PL administration have to say about the Al-Shabaab means very little in fact – so little as not to merit any further mention. As for the SL and PL residents, come one Emperor, you know very well that people have travelled in their hordes towards the South to lend a hand to their brothers.

What we are doing here, my dear friend, is that we are engaged in a discussion of which we do not have enough material to base it upon. We do not see the stark realities on the ground and what little facts we have are sprinkled with gossip and unfounded information.

You question how Al-shabaab’s strategies and their knowledge on Islamic affairs by asking how they can achieve what the Itixaad couldn’t. First it would be imperative to judge the apparent as I have mentioned before. As to the question of their knowledge, you are falling into the trap of those who proclaim that they have no Ulama, when we all know otherwise. Al-shabaab are not free of error. To err is human and they can make mistakes with regards to tactics and strategy, but to question their knowledge and ideology is not an easy thing. Sufficient proof must be presented to support the claims. We should also know to set our priorities and prioritize our objectives.

There is no dispute among the knowledgeable scholars of Islam today that an enemy occupying your land automatically compels you to defend yourself, your religion and your land. This is an Individual Obligation – just as Fasting is an Individual obligation. If you’ve taken your Shahada today and Ramadan were to start tomorrow, would you be exempted from it until you learn how to pray and memorise the supplications before you start fasting? No. Similarly, if an enemy occupies even a fragment of your land and you happen to live there, then Jihad becomes Fard-ul-Ain on you – an Individual Obligation. So what's is there to debate about? That obligation must be fulfilled, otherwise it is questionable on the day of reckoning! It is the first priority before everything else.

As for the ‘What’ after the expulsion of the invading forces, all steps necessary should be taken to establish an Islamic state. Would anyone disagree with me on this issue? It is worthy of note here that one who opposes the establishment of an Islamic state has opposed the governance of Shari’ah over a land, thereby directly defying the rulings and laws of Allah. It is the obligation of every Muslim to actively seek an Islamic state in their country. And on this I say that A light has been ignited in our country; do not unwittingly partake in the extinguishing of that light Emperor.

May Allah forgive us if we have erred!

p.s. Where is Brother Nur when you need him to clarify some matters!

Emperor   

As always I respect and treasure your input my dear LX, however I still see you are making the same rounds and circles… It surely is hard to crack your head on this one, I think its best to leave it here for today and for this particular thread... until the next one…

I admire your style of delivery and the fact that you kept this discourse to be as civil as possibly could be, I also like to take your advice on board but from me too, I ask and hope you to be more careful and less trustworthy in anything that’s said by people and groups(with bad record), listen to more trust less… your good intentions and sincerity is all noted in the thread, no doubt about that but I sense whether there was a lack of clear knowledge and proper observations about the on goings in my home country… but for now, for today and for this thread we’ll call a day!

Hadal waad haysaa Saaxib, I possibly mis-heard the other night, maxaa layiri ninka waa Journalist in profession :D

NASSIR   

Originally posted by Laba_Xiniinyood:

The amount of people expressing their unreserved abhorrence for Al-Shabaab has become transparent here over the time they’ve began their pursuit. These people, often in the comfort of their western homes, come up with all sorts of explanations to justify their innate weakness. A disease is in their hearts – a disease that gnaws at their insides as each day passes by and though they are not oblivious to the truth, they simply turn a blind eye to the state of affairs

Al-Shabaab have no scholars, they proclaim, they are just a bunch of kids armed with guns and a false understanding of the basic tenets of Islam. They have disregard the very fact that majority of the Somali scholars have indeed affirmed in their outright statements the declaration of Jihad to repel the occupying forces.

Other loosely salivate their tongues with the cries of FITNA, FITNA! proclaiming that the so-called Jihad is nothing but spreading Fitna and bringing about the destruction of a large population of blameless folks. After first enlightening themselves about the meaning of Fitna and what it entails, is it not worth contemplating for a second about the possible consequences of an Ethiopian presence in Somalia? Or are they disregarding the fact that in their places of stronghold, such as Baydhabo, even offering Morning Prayer or growing a beard is considered a sign of extremism which could lead to being shot? Fitna would come about as a result of giving the Ethiopian and their stooges a carte Blanche to wreak havoc throughout Somalia – not the dispelling of them. And in this we say that
Al fitnatu ashaddu min-al-qatl (Fitna is far greater than the killing)

Others, with a very weak Imaan, draw attention to the supposed ineffectiveness of the Al-Shabaab and to the futility of their actions. Al-Shabaab, they state, cannot achieve anything tangible at their current state. The Ethiopians are mightier in both man and machine, they say, and the hopeless retaliation of Al-Shabaab would simply exacerbate the death toll of the innocent civilians. Little do they know that Al-Nasr is from Allah!

Others, in their benighted minds, are happy to see Al-Shabaab put their arms down and assemble at a table for reconciliation talks, fully knowing that such infertile calls for reconciliation are but
saab aan biyaha celin
. They entertain themselves on the false pretence that the Ethiopians, who are in Somalia simply because of the schisms between the warring tribes, will merrily be singing farewell after this moment and all will be rosy! How blithely they take the situation to be!

Then we have those whose slogan is
‘As long as it’s not in my backyard’
and laze about nonchalantly in the comfort of their houses unmoved by Ethiopia’s blatant indiscriminate killings of Somalis. Particular culprits of this notion are the Northerners – unaware they are that Ethiopia is looking to advance upwards to molest them once it’s done raping the South.

Islam protects five things –

1. Religion

2. life

3. honour

4. wealth

5. intellect

Each is dispensable according to the needs of the other – with a top priority of protecting religion at all cost.

So if you cannot and don’t have the heart to protect your religion, your land and your people from the invaders, you either be quiet and quit slandering those who are in the killing fields, or have the courtesy and humility to support them in your heart - for they are doing what you, 'o coward, can't do!

LX, what do you think of the new landscape. Al-shabaab are now facing an avalanche of ridicule and criticism from all corners even in their once comfort news portals.

al shabab is the true somali resistance. without them we would be still under eithopian animal occupation.

go al shabab, the doubters and the naysayers would rather kiss eithopian butt rather than live under somalinimo

wow, looking back at the thread and reading the posts i can only shake my head in despair.

I cannot believe these guys who hate the resistance. Has no one got the concept of dignity and freedom anymore? Does anyone here want to live under the occupation of somalia's greatest enemy the murderers of addis abbaba?

hang your heads in shame for truly somalia is lost to some people. Thankfully and praise be to allah our heroes have got rid of those traitors of somalia and their eithopian masters.

Xaruuri   

Here is anexcellent article providing some basic info on Al Shabab. Read it and hopefully you wont bury head in the sand any Longer.

Warbixin: Al Shabaab

'Al Shabaab ‘Dhalinyaradu’ waa fir silloon oo la oran karo waxaa iska dhalay dawlad la’aan, saboolnimo, qabiil iyo Al-Qaacida'

Run ahaan waa dhalinyaradii, hadda dugsiyada sare ama jaamacadaha ku jiri lahayd oo ku dhacay debinka Al-qaacida, dadaalka ay ugu jirto in ay ballaariso aagga ay kala dagaallamayso Maraykanka iyo guud ahaan reer galbeedka.

Halkan ka akhriso :

http://wardheernews.com/News_09/Jan/09_Warbixin_Al _Shabaab.html

Xaruuri

N.O.R.F   

Now that the Xabash are gone and the old kodger back in his home town, one can only say 'the boyz' have done well.

Now is the time for level heads, reconciliation and unity.

When things settle down soon IA many a critic will have alot to thank them for,,,,,,,,

Abwaan   

Haddii Itoobiya dalkaan ka baxday Soomaali waa inay heshiisaa...ninkii raba in Itoobiya la hoos joogana dalkeeda ha ugu tago Soomaali wax uma dhex yaalaan oo iyada halla noolaado.

Thierry.   

No doubt Norf the young boys have done a fantastic job, they are the engine room in the rightful resistance.

But when the Tigres leave there is no reason to fight your own Muslim brothers it defeats the purpose.

I am very optimistic that they will pay heed to the wise words of elders.

Rag Rag dhalay indeed !

These men embody Sharaf, Raganimo, Geesinimo, Diin jacayl, halgan, iyo xikmad.

look at what they were able to accomplish faced with overwhelming force and backstabbing cowardly traitors ... among their own country men.

they have rid our lands of the occupiers not by meekly surrendering ... but by brute force !

any group that is able to achieve any measure of success in solving somalias problems after today are merely the proverbial dwarfs (ARS,TFG) who stand on the shoulders of GIANTS (shabaab).