Sign in to follow this  
me

Ethiopia troops said crossing into Somalia

me   

JOWHAR, Somalia (Reuters) - About 300 Ethiopian troops crossed into Somalia early on Saturday, a top Islamist said.

"There are Ethiopian troops just past the border and coming in," Islamic Courts Union Chairman Sharif Sheikh Ahmed told reporters, citing the incursion in Dollow in southwest Somalia earlier on Saturday morning.

Ethiopia, Washington's top counterterrorism ally in the Horn of Africa, had backed warlords the Islamists have routed from their strongholds in Mogadishu in a swift march from the coastal capital to Baladwayne near the Ethiopian border.

Largely secular Ethiopia has long been wary of the influence of Islam in the region, and has fought Islamic forces inside Somalia before. The warlords are widely believed to have been armed by the Ethiopians, and financed with U.S. money.

me   

In my opinion this is just an incursion trying to see how we react. Just a little poke. They have done this in the past. Has the TFG requested for them? If not Why is the TFG not protecting Somalia's terrirorial integrity? If the TFG requested for them what is mandate for the Ethiopian troops?

If the TFG is powerless against then, why don't they tell us to kick the Ethiopians out? Many Somalis are more then willing to punish the Ethiopians.