Sign in to follow this  
StarGazer

Yusuf Islam (Cat Stevens) On 20/20: Oct.1st.

Forward.....

20/20 this Friday evening, October 1,

will be airing an interview with Yusuf Islam (Cat Stevens) and

Elizabeth Vargas (Barbara Walters replacement) about his inclusion on

the US no fly list, detention and denial of entry into the US.

Check it out!!!

http://www.abcnews.go.com/sections/GMA/2020/Cat_Stevens_Vargas-1.html?CMP=OT

p.s. Don't mean to brag, but I've met him few yrs ago......hope I didn't come across as a groupie redface.gif:D , but no I thought he was a warm individual and was impressed tremendously by his many achievements towards his community in UK.

Baashi   

Glad US viewers will have chance to see what the Man has to say about that incident. Oct 1st on ABC - that is Friday (prime time).

Many thanks Tamina.

Baashi and everyone else, you're welcome.

I was disappointed with 20/20 's piece on Yusuf Islam. Weren't they sneaky? This wasn't entirely about Yusuf's story and how he felt about the whole ordeal. I don't know if you guys noticed how they managed to slide in this remark " When Yusuf was asked about how he felt about the suicide bombings in Isreal, he refused to comment" What was that all about. The brother leads a very public life and regularly condemns all forms of terrorism. However, 20/20 couldn't resist to cast reasonable doubt into the American minds.

Politically Inclined.. I know eh! Damn them ..I wanted to reach out and hug the brother, miskiinka!

Khayr   

Salaamz,

MUSLIMS ARE ****** !!!!

Why do Muslims CATER to the MEDIA's Inquistions/Interviews etc.???

I'm sorry but I don't have sympathy

for any muslim that talks to the Mediaaaa

and La Qadraaaa Allah, that day doesn't happen for any nomad.

Fi Amanillah

Khayr, don't you think that's a lil bit too extreme to feel that way? In this day n' age, N.American media can either make you or break you. We already know the media portrays the regular joe muslim to be associated with propagating hate, endorsing terrorism, and wanting to wipe every jew off the face of the earth. You don't believe we can reverse that attitude? I've seen some positive media coverage regarding muslims. Just last week, Larry King Live had a muslim man and engaged a dialoge with a christian, jew, and a pagan. Also, I happen to flip the channel one day and tuned into this reality show (Amish life?) and to my surprise the participants visited a mosque where they had a ISLAM 101.

So, to the contrary, we need more than ever muslim journalists and film makers, etc. The media world is an undiscovered territory and muslims should see the potential it holds. Don't you think?

Raxmah   

I saw the 20/20 piece on Yusuf Islam. I agree Tamina their agenda was not only to talk about his deportation, still I think it made difference for him to about the incidence.

Khayr

The media and what they say about Islam might not have an effect on you, but it does to the people who make dawah, it makes it difficult for them to spread Islam, When Islam is being seen as threat. The media does help get the message out about Islam and what it stands for.

Taqwa   

Assalamu Alaikum Wr WB,

Even if the whole world was against Islam, Harming it would be impossible. Allah guide's those that have good hearts into Islam whether our diin is considered a threat or not. 1400 years of grandeur, I think we can survive a few more centuries.

Khayr   

Originally posted by Tamina:

So, to the contrary, we need more than ever muslim journalists and film makers, etc. The media world is an undiscovered territory and muslims should see the potential it holds. Don't you think?

Salaamz,

I disagree, I have worked in the world of journalism and media and it serves it own purpose and is and has always been a tool to promote

the STATE and the IDEOLOGY of the STATE.

(Sounds Totalatarian? :eek: )

But we live in a Democractic world right, none of dat DARK AGE business?

Just flip throught the channels, your local papers,internet sites and local radio and tell me

what messages do you hear?

Are they not of a similiar Message with a similiar Tone and even Language?

Inshallah, if you notice that and what theme they carry with it and why they are given the 'FREEDOM' to 'STAY IN BUSINESS' den, inshallah, you might be able to seeee what I seee.

If you are in a position to be Daee in Islam, in a position of Dawah, going the route of Media or your own MEDIA whether it is Videos,movies,Internet etc.. is not the wayyy to go about.

Just let your CHARACTER do the DAWAH for YOU and the DEEN, INSHALLAH!

I remember an ayah in the Quran wherein

Allah (subhanahu wataala) tells the Rasul (salallahu caliyhe wasilm) that If He were to have All the Correction Situations i.e. Tribal alliances,Peace, Money etc., he (the rasul) would still not be able to UNITE the HEART of the BELIEVERS, but it is Allah that Unites and Guides!!! (If anyone has the exact quote, feel free to ref. to it inshallah)

In anycase, the point is, you want to Participate in something with FALSE HOPES and Illusions.

Why go to 20/20 for? What u gotta prove to people?

He sang for them for the 9-11 benefit concert and on many occasions spoken agains 'terrorism'.

Why in the world should u still HUMULIATE yourself? :confused:

Fi Amanillah

^ There are countless reasons as to why muslims should venture into the media world. For one, if it hadn't been for many websites (sincere in their approach of Dawa), thousands of people wouldn't have reverted to Islam. Its said that 50 people a day revert to Islam (not sure if its around teh world or just in n.america). I agree with you that your character should speak the light of your deen. Many of us have to work on that department, I agree.

If you are in a position to be Daee in Islam, in a position of Dawah, going the route of Media or your own MEDIA whether it is Videos,movies,Internet etc.. is not the wayyy to go about.

I have trouble with that, and many pple in dawaa would too. Media is a crucial tool to spread the word of Allah. Infact, we should do it for the sake of our own ummah. Alot of us are lost unfortunately, and fall for the trap set by the media that Islam is a religion of hate. We should do it for the our generation, and the generations to come. But not everyone can embark on this task. God has endowed special pple with this talent and they don't need anyone's approval/critism to do what they're suppose to do. That's my take on this subject.

Laters.