Minister calls Islam evil threat from pulpit

Oblivion   

Post your comments please.....thanks

"

(Tennesean.com)

Minister calls Islam evil threat from pulpit

By ANITA WADHWANI

Staff Writer

A Madison-area pastor has begun a four-part series of sermons on the ''evils of Islam'' and says his church's eventual goal is to convert Nashville-area Muslims to Christianity.

Maury Davis, pastor of Cornerstone Church, began the first sermon in the series Sunday, titled ''Hard Questions — Real Answers. Islam … The Evil Religion.''

''I want to go on record as telling you that I believe the greatest threat to the American way of life, to the Constitution of the United States of America and to the gospel of Jesus Christ, is the religion of Islam as it stands today,'' Davis said from his pulpit on Sunday to an audience of about 2,000.

''It is a great task that you and I have to infiltrate the Muslim community, but we can do it with the help of God.''

Some members of the Islamic community, alerted to the sermon, listened to a tape of it last night.

''We do not agree with the message,'' said Dr. Awadh Binhazim, spokesman for the Islamic Center of Nashville. ''It preaches hate. He is trying to convey Islam as a religion of hate and violence, but the facts he is using are wrong.''

Other Christian ministers condemned the sermons as messages of intolerance that could lead to violence and pledged to stand by members of the Islamic community.

''If you're going to sow hate, if you're going to sow ill-will, then you're going to motivate some folks to do some things they shouldn't do,'' said the Rev. Bill Sherman, pastor of First Baptist Fairview and member of an interfaith coalition of religious leaders. ''Violence is a possibility. Now don't misunderstand me. I'm not saying his sermons are going to end up like that, but it's a concern.''

Davis said that the events of Sept. 11 and beyond pushed him to educate himself about Islam.

''The more I studied, the more alarmed I became,'' Davis said.

He said he did not read the Koran but relied on those who had written about the religion. Davis said he expected criticisms of his sermons, but he asked his congregation on Sunday to listen to all four sermons together before judging them. He said he does not condone violence against Muslims but believes that ''political correctness'' has prevented many in the clergy from speaking out against Islam.

Those opposing Davis' messages said he has just gotten it wrong and said that efforts to promote inclusiveness and diversity in Nashville won't be affected.

''Members of Nashville's Muslim refugees in particular who are here did not flee Islam, they fled political extremists who misused Islam as a disguise for their violent agenda,'' said Carter Moody, chairman of the Nashville Task Force on Immigrants and Refugees. ''The mainstream Nashville community has made a lot of progress in building bridges across cultures and across faiths and will continue to do so.''

Davis said his sermons were also prompted by the increasing visibility of Islam in mainstream America, which has sometimes resulted in evangelical faiths like his being eclipsed. For example, at a Sept. 23 Yankee Stadium interfaith event in New York, Muslim clerics and liberal Christian pastors spoke. But, said Davis:

''There were no truly evangelical fundamentalist preachers on that platform. It was highly noticed by evangelical Christians throughout the nation. In our desire to make sure there is not a backlash against Muslims, it seems like we are exalting their faith. The problem is that I believe that faith caused people to fly planes into buildings.''

Cornerstone is an Assembly of God church, a Pentecostal denomination that claims 38 million adherents worldwide. Davis' sermons are not part of any overall doctrinal statement, said Gene Jackson, superintendent for the Tennessee District Council of Assemblies of God.

''It sounds like an attempt to stir up a crowd,'' Jackson said. ''Sermons certainly don't have to be approved. Each church is sovereign.''

Davis has been pastor at the church since 1991, when it had only about 200 members, 10% as large as the current congregation. Members credit Davis with the church's transformation, saying his honesty about his checkered past — serving an eight-year prison term on a 1975 murder conviction — has helped draw many new members.

Davis' message on Islam is already reaching beyond his congregation. On Friday he announced his sermon series on AM radio, Newstalk 1510 WLAC, which broadcasts across Middle Tennessee, Kentucky and Alabama.

The four sermons will be broadcast on the Inspiration Network, a national cable Christian television show that reaches 15 million viewers, according to its Web site.

"

[This message has been edited by Oblivion (edited 01-18-2002).]

Salaan...

Yeah and we know that he never read once--even a verse of it--the Quraanka Kariimka.

And would we care? No. Same as from the days of Jaahiliya up to now and to the future. We will always see a people like him, no matter what day it would be or time.

Macsalaama!!

True

Dude shouldn't even be alive because he killed someone and only got eight years in jail.

What Justice is that. Now people listen to him as a religious man. LOL

Hibo   

It doesn't bother me in the slightest. Kaafirs can't harm our religion. As MMA said there will always be ppl like him.

Hibo   

Subxaana alaaaaaaaaah.

Ilahay ha naga qabto galadaan waxaad ogataan wax kasta oo ay sameyaan waxay naga qadayaan baa iska yar ilahay baa na ilaashanaya,

Maata markaan waxaan arkay baan waxaan soo xasuustay ku meesheena jooga oo asagana internationale TV ka yiri islaamku waa shaydaamo waana in laga hortagaa waxii maanta ka biloowda waxuuna ku daray qof islam ha looma qaabilo karo qaxooti danbe meeshay joogaanba gaajo ha ugu dhintaan,

Subxaana alaaaah bal ma oga miyaa in ilahay irsaqadeena hayo.

Walaalayaal ogaaada gaal waa cadowgiina si walbaba ha kuugu qoslaane naclada ilahayna saara markaad aragtaan.

Asalaamu caleekum

jibril71   

weve heard of pharao and the rest so we arent surprised at all neither inteamidated.

------------------

jibril71

[This message has been edited by jibril71 (edited 02-15-2002).]

jibril71   

bytheway let me remind him(preacher)

allah subhanawataalah said in his holy quran that islam is his religion and he will safeguard it(protect it).

[This message has been edited by jibril71 (edited 02-15-2002).]

jibril71   

bytheway let me remind him(preacher)

allah subhanawataalah said in his holy quran that islam is his religion and he will safeguard it(protect it).

Hibo   

Salaaaaaaaaams,

You know what, Islaam is a threat! It is the only Ideology on the face of this earth that stands alone. The only ideology that truely challenges the western way of life. Wether it is in the form of religion, science, philosophy, psychology etc.

I don't really blame the kufaar for hating Islaam! Allah, (sw) told Us that they will hate you as long as U remain muslims .. up untill U leave your deen and join theirs!

I think, this rev / pope is rather honest ... I rate him for that, if anything.