Sign in to follow this  
Khalaf

[Soomaali Galbeed]

Sayid   

They are called the "Ooga-Dageen people" or the Higlanders as they are called from within Ethiopia. Anyway, it is a political suicide fo a member country to lay claim to take on another's recognized land. Unless by force and about in your face approach. The western-Somali groups are there as well, they do exist with reduced activity eclipsed by the ONLF group. Why the dreaded O is there? they are the only people who are available to continue this alone. In fact, the rest of the Somali groups (clans) went against the "struggle" by surrendering all their ambitions to the "enemy" or friend as they call them.

Sayid   

There is the Somali Republic flag inside the ONLF organizational flag. The bottom red means the current struggle and the green freedom on top.

Originally posted by Faarax-Brawn:

You dont need an answer,you need inaad isku noqotid and aad isku xishootid.

Labadiina adigaa u baahan the above doze :D . How do the Somalis say? “Gardaro garrab og”. In the same theme “ignorance relying on ignorant” will never escape self-defeating mentality and desperate measures.

If I understand you correctly, the use of this tribal name for this specific region in Somali areas in the Horn of Africa was invented and popularized by the British colonial officers back in the mid-1800s. Have you ever asked why? Yes, I know you have because I am sure you have heard countless times the infamous policies in the manuals of the old European imperialists of “dividing the African people, is more economical and less onerous to rule them efficiently”.

Make me understand, man, why would the elite of ONLF resist dropping the narrow and divisive characterization of the region inherited from the imperialists? What is wrong if they use the fitting name “SomaliGalbeed Liberation Front”, (SGLF)? Why would they create unnecessary suspicion and questionable language among Somalis from whom they in their calculations expect unwavering moral and material support? As the acronym for their movement shows it does not contain the letter “S” which would have made their organization prestigious enough for many Somalis to find homage in it.

Just like a Somali objective poet, I say as it is ;) . Like it or not. The answer for these questions lies in the thinking of the elite of ONLF impacted by the Djiboutian factor. Their philosophy is if they ever gain control over the region and drive the tigrean militia out, they will be in a position to declare their own O-land nation-state as an independent sovereignty. I am not hypothesizing this to fit it into the obvious facts but we saw an oxymoronic behavior from the previous mentors of the ONLF's current elite in 1970: help us get liberated from the amxaaros' oppressive tentacles so that we may seek protection from amxaaro because we can not have our own independence from other Somalis just like Djibouti does . Yeh, don’t try to deny it. Ask DHOODAAN and his crew what they did when the Somali National Army drove the amxaaro out from our lands in 1970, with more than 5000 Somali casualties from every segment of our society.

Please, before you defend the indefensible notions, learn your history…..jac jac jac..jac

Malika   

Dahia that was the 70s no?, i am talking about now. Even when money is collected its done on clan basis, the media, the propganda its all clan based. Why doesnt that defeat the purpose of a somali struggle? The purpose of this thread was to ask one why is this important struggle in the ogdaden seen as a clan struggle maybe not in the 70s, and more important why does this struggle not receive much support from the greater somali community, I mean financially, media wise, ect? And two symbolism is very powerful in my opinion, even though somalia is in its current state we still have our repersentive flag the blue and white in the world. This area of dispute is between Republic of Somalia and the Republic Ethiopia. What then is the significance of the ONLF not fighting under the somali flag-blue and white? Why don’t they fight under the flag of the republic of Somalia, don’t they support and believe in somali wayne? [/QB]

Khalaf, like all Somali issues the struggles for the liberation of ******ia is a complex issue. The damaged done by the colonial powers in creating boundaries in Africa, especially the horn of Africa where it separated the people of the same ethnicity into different countries is one that of atrocities [my opinion].Nevertheless brother you need to understand ,despite the school of thought of the former republic in creating the Greater Somalia, hence the Ethio-Somali war. The war was miscalculated and ended without the results hoped, this action took the struggle for ****** back. Ethiopia made moves to make sure ****** was not going to be only occupied by the Somalis, and resettling of Ethiopians began and the oppression of the Somalis continued.

As for why the ONLF isn’t fighting under the blue flag, the Somali flag was a product of Independent Somalia,where ******ia is still under occupation. Somalia abandoned its support[it needs support from it self hadaa],we turned on each other. The dream for a Greater Somalia , hence the no support from the Somali community…As for the monetary funding, would you give money to ONLF?

I hope I had answer something, as its 2am..the girl got to go to bed.. smile.gif

Xargaga   

There is a simple answear to the question by Khalaf which stated why The ONLF wont use the Somali Flag?. The answear lies with the 1988 peace treaty signed in Djibouti, between the two disparate dictators. Barre of somalia and his counterpart Mengistu. The conditions of agreement was that Ethiopia eject the SNM fighters from Ethiopia, then the Somali republic would cease from laying claims to the disputed teritories.

Now tell me Khalaf what would the Somali flag raised in this region achieve while the Somali republic has voluntarily given-up the territory?

Waxaan macno badan lahayn baad ku daalaysaa, Nayruusow! Faarax may need a history lesson as you assert, but it's you who desparetely needs to keep in touch with the current reality adeer.

Before aadan harraadin about this name and its impact on the larger struggle you need to swallow two bitter facts:

1- Today’s struggle against Ethiopia’s vandalism in that region is much larger than ONLF. In fact ONLF is but a small part in this fight. The biggest burden of fighting this struggle falls on the backs of good Islamists who have successfully injected the needed dose of religious orientation and military discipline required to sustain such a long war, and who also garnered the support of masses for this war against Ethiopia, some thing ONLF failed to do in many ways. That fact alone reduces this trivial emphasis on some movement’s name tag to the petty it really is.

2- ONLF fights for the independence of that region, and it does not limit its struggle’s aims to only free the areas inhabited by thier clansmen. And that’s even if we agree with your implied point that ONLF is the only movement fighting this struggle.

Khalaf, I believe your tone and the way you formulated your argument makes your whole effort stillborn, and that’s assuming yours was a noble impulse to begin with. Adeer today is not the day to query about the legitimacy of this movement. The fact they have been keeping up with this wearing struggle for decades is itself a primer illustration for their commitment, desire for liberty, and exemplary heroism they have demonstrated. What you have is a tragedy that’s befallen on these Muslim Somali people. They have been let down by their fellow Somalis not necessarily by design and shrewd calculation from their part but rather by the politics of convenience resulted from the absence of the Somali state. You wonder why other clans are not joining this struggle adeer. But what other people are you talking about? Puntland and Somaliland are both barely surviving and are under leaders that entered unholy alliance with Ethiopia, the felon itself. The South has been the scene of instability, and still continues to be. The clan thing still reigns supreme in the Somali communities that live abroad.

I don’t get you, really!

Viva *******, and may Allah help them succeed.

[ August 21, 2007, 01:28 AM: Message edited by: Miskiin-Macruuf-Aqiyaar ]

Forget about the name, support this movement with everything in your power. The name doesn't make any difference here. This is the card ethiopians used telling other nomads (clans) that this is not their war.

khalafow, they have answered your question indirectly. this region you are talking about is the land of the people whose name bares. the centrol government of ethiopia has divided these people. the name has been changed to the somali region and minority which does not even live there but in dire dawa (which is not part of ********) rule the state. Put in short the ONLF is fighting for o lands and the alien administration in Jijiga where minorities have entranged themselves taking advantage and have painted the rightful owners of the land as rebels and anti-state.

[ August 21, 2007, 01:29 AM: Message edited by: Miskiin-Macruuf-Aqiyaar ]

Baliis, do not use clan names as a title. It is one thing when it is a copy-and-paste article and neglected to edit the clan names within the posts, however completely another, when one posts a clan name deliberately and as a title.

Some people took this leisure of posting this particular clan name lately on this section, as though it was officially condoned. There is a reason why this clan name -- and all other Soomaali clans mostly -- has an asterisk. Ee marka mar labaad, do not post clan names on here, idinkoo raali ah.

Originally posted by Sayid:

Anyway, it is a political suicide fo a member country to lay claim to take on another's recognized land.

Soomaaliya is not claiming Xabashi's land. Soomaaliya is claiming its rightfully stolen, Xabashi-annexed, British-ceded land. The international community you speak of knows this too, hence most official maps have the doted provisional lines between the "border" of Soomaaliya and Itoobiya, instead of an international line.

map_of_somalia.gif

It has never ratified, that is why the "border" between Soomaaliya and Itoobiya is always provisional, instead of a settled international one.

Sayid   

MMI, If it is that simple as the above dotted line dictates, so why not we get it by now? And what is with the solid line from the above near Hargeisa, Groowe? ONLY one sided?

Khalaf   

Dahia, walaaleey yes and thanks much, you have answered something. smile.gif My believe however is walaaleey, that even though somali union is in its current state or regardless of the stage it enters in the future or whomever the leaders will be, good or bad, the flag stands in principle we should never lose that sight, the flag raised on independence day, we have one somali flag that represents our people and country in the world and the realization of 5pointed stars one day. Sometimes vision is greatest weapon one can have.

Xiinow adeer mines was only simple inquiry nothing to do with questioning the legitimacy of this movement or their right to fight, that much is clear. Mida kale the term “islamists” is derogatory term coined by the Kufar, I don’t know why some muslims are keen on labels.

I found the answer I was looking for on the ONLF website, which states their resistances struggle is not a struggle between two states of Somalia and Ethiopia, hence as Naryuus noted above if they succeed in this struggle they would form their own independent state. My opinion beforehand has always been, this region considered itself part of the Somali Republic a at least in principle and supported the realization of the 5points on the flag. Unfortunate however is Ethiopia not only their government but in principle their country and people as a whole also claims this land, and I find it highly unlikely how people of Somali origin in SomaliGalbeed can ever liberate this land without a united front or support from the broader community, even the active somali community in Somali galbeed some work with the Ethiopians and do their bidding.

Make me understand, man, why would the elite of ONLF resist dropping the narrow and divisive characterization of the region inherited from the imperialists? What is wrong if they use the fitting name “SomaliGalbeed Liberation Front”, (SGLF)? Why would they create unnecessary suspicion and questionable language among Somalis from whom they in their calculations expect unwavering moral and material support? As the acronym for their movement shows it does not contain the letter “S” which would have made their organization prestigious enough for many Somalis to find homage in it

Why Should they change the name? Why,must you dwell on a trivial useless issue as a name over an entire struggle that has cost millions of lives and property that has spanned over 50 years?

What must a native fighting an amxaaro askari do to get your support? Should he first worry about what Dear Nayruus is thinking in Galkacyo or worry about the Xabashi raping his sister? Does he convince Khalaf or confront a xabashi looting his geel? What a dilemma yeah?

The priority of the people on the ground,the leaders and the people is to liberate their land from a gaalo occupier. To free the people from daily rapes, killings & looting. Righht now their energy,struggle and muruq is all in this fight. They do not have time to dwell on a simple matter as a name. When,Inshallah,God Willing those brave soldiers liberate their lands, then the people of that region can decide on a name change. You have no say in this anyway?

What is your fear of this clan having their name on a region? Fear that another clan has whole region while your clan(insert clan A) doesnt have? War ileen, you wonder why Xabashi soldiers are in Somalia's Capital today, Imagine 100 people like you and Khalaf with such a mentality. Because, there is only clan hebel and clan hebel in that region, My clan has no business fighting those that are killing other Somalis waaye arintada haye?

You have the nerve to speak of History? While you are here trying to convince people that a name change is in order before any other Somali clan can help the people of that region, dare i say,Isku xishoo??

Jacpher   

The priority of the people on the ground,the leaders and the people is to liberate their land from a gaalo occupier. To free the people from daily rapes, killings & looting. Righht now their energy,struggle and muruq is all in this fight. They do not have time to dwell on a simple matter as a name. When,Inshallah,God Willing those brave soldiers liberate their lands, then the people of that region can decide on a name change. You have no say in this anyway?

Well said Faarax. Tell him. Khalaf has his own priorities. Deliver Shariica rule to Moqdisho in Meles tank and peace by gun barrel. Somali Galbeed is as Somali issue as you can get, not a clan issue. Neither TFG & Amxaaro nor their fans (read: Khalaf & Co) see as Somali issue.

Malika   

Originally posted by Khalaf:

Dahia, walaaleey yes and thanks much, you have answered something.
smile.gif
My believe however is walaaleey, that even though somali union is in its current state or regardless of the stage it enters in the future or whomever the leaders will be, good or bad, the flag stands in principle we should never lose that sight, the flag raised on independence day, we have one somali flag that represents our people and country in the world and the realization of 5pointed stars one day. Sometimes vision is greatest weapon one can have.

Glad to be of service yaa Khalaf.. smile.gif I think brother Sayiid had answered your question in regard to the flag.As for the vision,its trully is foggy right now to see or predict the future of the Greater Somalia,20yrs ago we fought for the liberation of our brothers and sisters,20yrs later we call upon the same oppressors to liberate us from our selves...isnt this ironic! :rolleyes:

Subhanallah!