Sign in to follow this  
Yoonis_Cadue

SBS Australia-Out of Africa programme this wednesday..

Mr. Thom Cookes is currently in Hargeisa with a team of Australian Election overseers. He will do a documentary about Somaliland which will be aired on SBS around mid Nov.

Looking forward to the Wednesday's program.

Intel   

^^^ i hope he does better job there

what a complete useless crap thit was redface.gif

6270maalika_still_afar_edit_2.jpg

Maalika's story worth mentioning but.

^^agreed, Maleyka's was much interesting

It looked like he rushed the "report" - nothing interesting there. hmmm

The short interview with ICG's Mat was probably the highlight.

uchi   

Here is a Real media Video link to the program.

video_icon.gifVideo

By the way guys, did you know that Valerie Browning the old lady (Australian) in the doc. was in fact married to a Somali guy. Currently he is in Australia.

Sky   

Her husband is Afar, Ishmeal Ali Garod, and she helps the Afar people and lived with them for 3 decades.

The documentary was quite poor. I don't know if it was because Thom is a bad film maker or Somalia is a boring country. But to say that Bryden's interview was the highlight totally leaves me flabbergasted.

Rahima   

Forget the filmmaking. I kept cringing at the reports, from the ICG worker to the commentary on our president.

I kept cringing all the way through. A while back I was at my uncles house and Ciise Bari was there. It was then I first heard of this documentary and automatically laughing Ciise said that he was not responsible for any of it.

Now I understand why he was distancing himself from it- it was horrible and very bad for the government.

Going by that though, this government is failing. I wouldn't know so please the cheerleading brigade save the chants, but the outlook seems bleak.

I was in agreement with that hebel Yaasiin guy though (his sister owns stores in Footscray). He spoke very well and hit the nail on the head.

Originally posted by Rahima:

this government is failing.

Of course it is!

Reasons -

1. According to the 4.5 Formula, there are a group of people known as "Somalis." These "Somalis" are divided into "clan units", which in turn form a single (1) pillar of the 4.5 Formula. Then, there is another group categorized as the "Others" - apparently, they don't deserve to get a "1" because they're a "minority." (In reality, however, power was distributed strictly by weighing the number to "technicals" a clan unit has)

2. This "government" is led by the same people who destroyed Somalia to begin with - in fact, the President constantly brags about being the man who fired the "first bullet."

3. I don't mean to sound like a ranting racist, but I'm dead tired of Mudug and its survival-of-the-fittest politicians. Mudug politics lacks the finesse and the needed compromise to form the foundation of a new Somali Republic. As long as we line ourselves behind leaders from this region, we'll always be at each others' throats and Somalia will always be in a virtual state of war.

The solution?

Because we are our own enemies, we must find our own solutions. For example, how were Somaliland and Puntland - two mega-regions - able to secure peaceful and centralized governments? The people - traditional, civil and political - convened and agreed to form a government. Same thing in Middle Shabelle region - the people invited a new leadership, which in turn rules alongside a semi-legislative organ that serves as a form of regional parliament. Point being - Reer Benaadir need to find their own solutions, Reer Hiiraan, Reer Jubbas, etc. Internal solutions for internal problems - not mega-million-dollar "peace conferences" held in the comfort of foreign capitals.

P.S. I was bored and I felt like ranting, so if y'all don't like it, &$^* &^$! *Ducks from the verbal bombs of the cheerleaders.* :D

Emperor   

The report didn't reveal anything new that we are not aware of right now, so why you guyz jump on conclusions based on this video.

The fact that this guy put effort in going back home making this video and airing it to the world is itself a good thing, but beyond that no measurements can be deduced from this clip...

Lets await for the up coming results

I hope for a brigther future

Rahima   

2. This "government" is led by the same people who destroyed Somalia to begin with - in fact, the President constantly brags about being the man who fired the "first bullet."

:D , he actually bragged about this on the documentary. I was the first man who partook in the destruction of Somalia (and some here deny it when he says it himself) and therefore we men who did so should fix it he reasoned.

Yeah it would be nice if they repented and changed their ways, but that has not been done :rolleyes: .

3. I don't mean to sound like a ranting racist, but I'm dead tired of Mudug and its survival-of-the-fittest politicians. Mudug politics lacks the finesse and the needed compromise to form the foundation of a new Somali Republic. As long as we line ourselves behind leaders from this region, we'll always be at each others' throats and Somalia will always be in a virtual state of war.

That is not racism, it is reality and you are right. I can’t stand them myself. Most of Somalia’s trouble come from there.

The report didn't reveal anything new that we are not aware of right now, so why you guyz jump on conclusions based on this video.

Sugarcoat it as you wish, but for those of us who don’t follow all the ins and outs, that report was disturbing and shocking. It was embarrassing.

Originally posted by Suldaaanka:

Mr. Thom Cookes is currently in Hargeisa with a team of Australian Election overseers. He will do a documentary about Somaliland which will be aired on SBS around mid Nov.

If this is true then from what I have heard those letters they recieved which pointed out how incorrect and biased it would be to constantly focus on "failed state" reports on Somalia may have worked. :cool:

A source would be appreciated smile.gif

uchi   

Hmm...Sky i believe she divorced the Somali man around that same time, or perhaps I'm mistaken.

Anyway, if you guys are interested here are some photos Ciise took from the trip.

Production photos

From what he told me, he didn't have any access to post production at all. Also, I remember when I initially met Thom Cookes in person, I got the feeling he was going to betray Abdulahi Yusuf the worse possible way, hence why he decided to cut out a number of interviews, one being of Ali Mohammed Gedi (Prime Minister).

I read the extracts of the programm , we ained nothing new at all. The inteview with Shiekh Yassin was wihtout reason.

Like Qorshel stated above, lets wait and see for the results of this project. No blood shed or all out war so far and things are progressing... Insha Allah we wait for a better future.

Rahima & Wind, Kindly stop with the baseless out of touch negative generalised comments regarding reer Mudug. Its unfair to say the least.

Sky   

I don't mean to sound like a ranting racist, but I'm dead tired of Mudug and its survival-of-the-fittest politicians. Mudug politics lacks the finesse and the needed compromise to form the foundation of a new Somali Republic. As long as we line ourselves behind leaders from this region, we'll always be at each others' throats and Somalia will always be in a virtual state of war.

Waryaa, aflagaadada maad iska dhaaftid. Wax oo aan calaacal ahayn ma la timaadid. Your generalising of Reer Mudug is going overboard.

This "government" is led by the same people who destroyed Somalia to begin with - in fact, the President constantly brags about being the man who fired the "first bullet."
quote:

he actually bragged about this on the documentary. I was the first man who partook in the destruction of Somalia (and some here deny it when he says it himself) and therefore we men who did so should fix it he reasoned.

He wasn't bragging. Its a Somali trait and a Reer Mudug trait at that to be brutally honest. If you have the slighest sense of Somali culture, you'll understand he wasn't bragging. He was actually taking responsibility for Somalia's misery, even though we know who literaly destroyed the country in such a magnitude that coming generations shall suffer from the consequences.

Rahima   

Rahima & Wind, Kindly stop with the baseless out of touch negative generalised comments regarding reer Mudug. Its unfair to say the least.

Dude it’s fair and certainly not baseless or out of touch. I think it has something to do with the culture of the place. Everything bad about Somalia generally stemmed from that area. I’m not making it up and it isn’t something to be gleeful about but that is how I see it. Somalis in general share many evil traits but somehow I always find that reer mudug lead the race :confused: . They have so much hate and animosity. And of course we are generalizing, we do that everyday about almost everything. Just put most before reer mudug to be politically correct smile.gif .

Finally this is my opinion and a black man can tell a lamington joke right ;) ?

He wasn't bragging. Its a Somali trait and a Reer Mudug trait at that to be brutally honest. If you have the slighest sense of Somali culture, you'll understand he wasn't bragging. He was actually taking responsibility for Somalia's misery, even though we know who literaly destroyed the country in such a magnitude that coming generations shall suffer from the consequences.

I don’t know about you, but I don’t need culture to tell me whether or not a person who admits to being the first to destroy a country (and mind you not doing anything productive to change his ways) is bragging. Not doing anything productive about admitting of crimes is basically bragging in my books.