Sign in to follow this  
Hibo

Western ethiopia to join the rest of somalia (maybe)

Cilmi   

I can sympothise with the position which the ppl of NFD found them self. But one cann't ignore the fact that the whole trouble and predictment that somalis found them self now is from the war 1977, which somalia challanged ethopia for the NFD region.

However consequently loosing the war, and been bushed back. as a result many cities have been raided by the ethopians, such as Hargeysa, burco and all the villages along the etho-somalian border.

Ever since then tribal fever has swept the country corrupted politicans crudely using tribe as politics game.

I would very much rather see peace somalis rather then united somalia.

Unity brought us inidgnity and injustice, so why don't we persue other policitcal goals.

salamz

Rahima   

Cilmi, easy to say such a thing when you’re living in safety. Brother Somalia is in the predicament it is in today not because of the war of ’77 but because out of our ignorance.

How can the people living in these Ethiopian occupied areas have peace when day in day out they have to face the cruelty of the filthy enemy. Do you know that in Somali galbeed in some areas it’s even dangerous to walk alone holding the Quran or even to appear in an Islamic manner? Do you know that our brothers and sisters have to live as prisoners in their own lands? Do you know that they rape our women, kill our men and massacre our children? Even know, as I write this my aunties husband is being help captive by the vile enemy simply for appearing as a Muslim. Just because you don’t see it on the news brother it doesn’t mean it's not occurring. You see September 11 finally gave them a good enough reason to wipe out the Somali race, for that is their aim. Don’t be fooled into thinking that anything other than unity on Islam will bring back dignity and justice to our people. It is our duty to assist our brothers and sisters in gaining independence and inshallah by the grace of Allah join the rest of Somalia. So long as they require our assistance we should be willing to give it.

Remember the words of Malcolm X:

Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it. You can't separate peace from freedom because no one can be at peace unless he has his freedom.

Nuruddin   

the problem is the christian goverment ho wont to make the south under christian dominans. If you go to Dire Dawe and harare you se 15-25% are christan ho have setld ther to make this citys christan. The setlement are inkorigt most of them are amhari and tigrey. So i want etiopia to be ruld bay muslims as they make majortey then ther is no ned for them to be part of somalia.

X.Playa   

Untill the terrorist OLF is crushed there will be no peace in Eastern Ethopia or the so called Somali Galbeed.

Those of you who are either ignorant or oblivious to the history of this organization should to through resarche about the origin of the OLF. In the late 1980's these people have commited conutless atrocities against their somali hosts, ironically Siyad Bare have settled the refugges form Western Somalin into:

1- Awadal

2- Waqooyi Halbeed

3- Hiiraan.

Its very obvious why had they and Said Bare chose to settle in these region which are naturaly devoid of their ethnic groups, it was grand scheme of land grabbing. They were welcomed fought for and what have they paid the somalis by, ???? everybody remembers well how these people bit the hand that fed them.

I would have no mercy absoloutly for these so called OLF. Ethopia is our neighbour and there are 2 Million somalis majority of them are Anti-OLF and they live in peace with the Ethopians from Adiis all the way to Jijiga, why only the pepole who support OLF are the exception given they are the minority in those region.. do they still think Papa Siad Bare is still in power.

Be honest to yourself Rahiima and learn the truth about this OLF of yours then you once you are mentally free then you might get sympathy from the main land somalis.As long you are playing the victim and going on with the old game of hit and cry, Ethopia would have the better of you.

Salamu Alaikum,

Some exceptional thinking here by all. Somalis should have regained this region along time ago when they had considerable political and military leverage on Ethopia and many other East African countries. I mean Somalis had strong power in this region once. For example, they had one of the biggest armies patrolling these regions during and after the Somalian and Ethopian war.

In regards to the present time, I am very optimistic and hopeful that Somalis will one day unite as one people and will recapture both Western Ethopian regions as well as not forgetting the NFD regions. The reason why I am excited is that many of the Somalis are beginning to realise that each Somali needs each other otherwise we will be taken advantage of by other people and everywhere we wil be rejected ? I mean in all over the world we will not be accepted by others until we accept ourselves icon_razz.gif

The Ethopian government have alienated these regions and do not provide basic needs such as food and shelter to their somali citizens. Consequently, may people suffered from diseases such as Malnutrition and high rate of infant deaths. No one has done anything about this for along time, since the decline of the former government. We have been concerned with coping with the disasterous effects of a civil war. It is now up to us to start thinking about these issues and ascertain remedies to capture these lands back.

W Salaam

Peace to All

~Where there is a will there is a Way~

Observer   

X.playa

What OLF has to do with somali ppl? Do we really care weather they are a terrorist or a freedom figther? By the way do you know who are the OLF? it doesnt seems you are and i will help out here OLF = Oromo Libration Front. I guess that helps alot. smile.gif ...jumping to a conclusion is alway dengerious.

Curious Observer

X.Playa   

no its Ogadeen Liberation Front, as it was known during the 1970's and the 1980's. So do your home work buddy and don't jump to conclusion

Rahima   

Nurudin brother i couldn't agree with you anymore. Without a doubt i believe that Ethiopia should be ruled by the Muslims since they are more than 50% of the population (approximately 51% i believe)and also without a doubt we as Muslims should have one central government. However, this is not the case, we do not have one central government as Muslims and Ethiopia is not an Islamic state. Even if this was the case, the somalis of Somali Galbeed want to be part of Somalia, shouldn't they be supported in their choice?

X.Playa:

Allow me to clarify a few things for you, you seem to be confused on my stance on the issue.Firstly, I couldn't care any less about the OLF or any other qabiil based group. Secondly, I am not from Somali galbeed, i just have family members living there so as for your inference that its my OLF, you couldn't be anymore wrong. I don't need any sympathy from the mainland Somalis (not that i agree with the term, but just for arguments sake)because technically speaking i am a "mainland somali" :rolleyes: . Our brothers and sisters of these areas don't need the support of the likes of you, just make sure you don't support the enemy ;) .

Nuruddin   

Rahima_

"Even if this was the case, the somalis of Somali Galbeed want to be part of Somalia, shouldn't they be supported in their choice?"

No we shouldn't suport bekoz then it is cald nationalism. So if ther is islamic goverment in ethiopia then we dont have the right to talk bekoz nationalism is evel and is the problem of meny contry. Maye clan liv in ethiopia they liv in peace with ther brothers oromo(the muslims) in citys lake Diri Dhabe. The somali and oromo muslims ho liv ther are diskrimineytid by the christans(tigrey and amhari) and that is the problem.

Rahima   

Brother Nurudin, i'm going to have to disagree with you on that point.

Ethiopia could be an Islamic State if the majority population are Muslims and the leaders are Muslims, but they don't necessarily have to rule by the Shari'ah (and i realise that is a sin in itself). For example, before our destruction, our homeland was considered an Islamic State because the people were Muslims and so was our leader, however you and I both know it wasn't governed by the laws of the Shari'ah (although that was what was written in the constitution).

So, IF a Muslim leader eventually rules Ethiopia but the Somalis still wish to be part of Somalia, then that should be their choice. Islam gives the people the choice akhi and should they choose to be in the borders of one Islamic state as opposed to another, then you cannot classify that as Nationalism. Nationalism is to believe that one person is better than another based simply on their birth. I was not arguing that point.

And anyway, i do believe that that land was originally the land of the Somalis and was invaded by Ethiopia when it was still a Christian populated land.

Originally posted by MeriDian:

Hey peoplez,

I waz wonderin if you people knew that it is stated in the Ethiopian constitution that any region of their nation may secede if they wish, all u need is a referendum with a majority of votes.

For the last hundred years, Ethiopia has been "Ethiopianizing" the Ogaden region with non-Somali Ethiopian ethnic groups like Oromos, Amharas and such in order to lessen the posibility of any legal sucession.

If a referundum was taken today in the Ogaden, I wouldn't be surprised if the vote turned out to be "NO" for separation. There is just too many Oromos and Amharas in JigJiga, Diredawa, Dhagaxbuur, and all over.

RaMpAgE   

Salam...

I was just reading this interesting topic about "pan-somalism" i hope u enjoy it smile.gif .

Despite the difficulties encountered in integrating north and south, the most important political issue in postindependence Somali politics was the unification of all areas populated by Somalis into one country--a concept identified as pan-Somalism, or Greater Somalia. Politicians assumed that this issue dominated popular opinion and that any government would fall if it did not demonstrate a militant attitude toward neighboring countries occupying Somali territory.

Preoccupation with Greater Somalia shaped the character of the country's newly formed institutions and led to the build-up of the Somali military and ultimately to the war with Ethiopia and fighting in the NFD in Kenya. By law the exact size of the National Assembly was not established in order to facilitate the inclusion of representatives of the contested areas after unification. The national flag featured a five-pointed star whose points represented those areas claimed as part of the Somali nation--the former Italian and British territories, the Ogaden, Djibouti, and the NFD. Moreover, the preamble to the constitution approved in 1961 included the statement, "The Somali Republic promotes by legal and peaceful means, the union of the territories." The constitution also provided that all ethnic Somalis, no matter where they resided, were citizens of the republic. The Somalis did not claim sovereignty over adjacent territories, but rather demanded that Somalis living in them be granted the right to self-determination. Somali leaders asserted that they would be satisfied only when their fellow Somalis outside the republic had the opportunity to decide for themselves what their status would be.

At the 1961 London talks on the future of Kenya, Somali representatives from the NFD demanded that Britain arrange for the NFD's separation before Kenya was granted independence. The British government appointed a commission to ascertain popular opinion in the NFD on the question. Its investigation indicated that separation from Kenya was almost unanimously supported by the Somalis and their fellow nomadic pastoralists, the Oromo. These two peoples, it was noted, represented a majority of the NFD's population.

Despite Somali diplomatic activity, the colonial government in Kenya did not act on the commission's findings. British officials believed that the federal format then proposed in the Kenyan constitution would provide a solution through the degree of autonomy it allowed the predominantly Somali region within the federal system. This solution did not diminish Somali demands for unification, however, and the modicum of federalism disappeared after Kenya's government opted for a centralized constitution in 1964.

The denial of Somali claims led to growing hostility between the Kenyan government and Somalis in the NFD. Adapting easily to life as shiftas, or bandits, the Somalis conducted a guerrilla campaign against the police and army for more than four years between 1960 and 1964. The Somali government officially denied Kenya's charges that the guerrillas were trained in Somalia, equipped there with Soviet arms, and directed from Mogadishu. But it could not deny that the Voice of Somalia radio influenced the level of guerrilla activity by means of its broadcasts beamed into Kenya.

Somalia refused to acknowledge in particular the validity of the Anglo-Ethiopian Treaty of 1954 recognizing Ethiopia's claim to the Haud or, in general, the relevance of treaties defining Somali-Ethiopian borders. Somalia's position was based on three points: first, that the treaties disregarded agreements made with the clans that had put them under British protection; second, that the Somalis were not consulted on the terms of the treaties and in fact had not been informed of their existence; and third, that such treaties violated the self-determination principle.

Incidents began to occur in the Haud within six months after Somali independence. At first the incidents were confined to minor clashes between Ethiopian police and armed parties of Somali nomads, usually resulting from traditional provocations such as smuggling, livestock rustling, and tax collecting, rather than irredentist agitation. Their actual causes aside, these incidents tended to be viewed in Somalia as expressions of Somali nationalism. Hostilities grew steadily, eventually involving small-scale actions between Somali and Ethiopian armed forces along the border. In February 1964, armed conflict erupted along the Somali-Ethiopian frontier, and Ethiopian aircraft raided targets in Somalia. Hostilities ended in April through the mediation of Sudan, acting under the auspices of the Organization of African Unity (OAU). Under the terms of the cease-fire, a joint commission was established to examine the causes of frontier incidents, and a demilitarized zone ten to fifteen kilometers wide was established on either side of the border. At least temporarily, further military confrontations were prevented.

Ethiopia and Kenya concluded a mutual defense pact in 1964 in response to what both countries perceived as a continuing threat from Somalia. This pact was renewed in 1980 and again on August 28, 1987, calling for the coordination of the armed forces of both states in the event of an attack by Somalia. Most OAU members were alienated by Somali irredentism and feared that if Somalia were successful in detaching the Somali-populated portions of Kenya and Ethiopia, the example might inspire their own restive minorities divided by frontiers imposed during the colonial period. In addition, in making its irredentist claims, the Somalis had challenged two of Africa's leading elder statesmen, President Jomo Kenyatta of Kenya and Emperor Haile Selassie of Ethiopia

hi all of u i think this topic had received very many replys cuz the subject was one that did dominated the somali politic for so long and i think will remain dominating in the future but let me try to say this, many of u confused about this issue,(if i may say so) i know u are all motivated by defferent factors,but one thing we must remember is that we lost a land to historical enemy (ethiopia) it is not something that we can easy forget,the people are our people they are somalis,they need the freedom as everybody else,whom should the call for help?america?eaurop?kenya?eretaria?

i know also many of us are furious of what happened in 1977,why did somali militry abandoned the ocppied county or region whatever u call it but remeember the somali proverb which is caano daatay dabadood ayaa laqabtaa i think it was big mistake to withdrew the somaligalbeed region after we liberated it,we should have remianed whatever the cost.

now what is the solution?do we have to seatback and wait untill ethiopia voluntraly give us our land back?will that happen at all?or we take arm against ethiopia and do whatever we can to help the brothersa and sister in prisons?there is an arab proverb which says every place has it's suitable words ( sory if i make mistransilation ) i think we have to think well and look closely the satuation so that we can act properly and actively.we know that our somali nation is crack.we know that we do not have the backing of strong nation.we know that if we flee from our region there is no where to go.so we in between hard and rock.that is our satuatin guys,that is the satuation of our bros ans sis in somaligalbeed,we do not need several group acting agaist eacher like o.n.l.f,itixaad and others.we need unity and understand of each other,we need to joinly fight for common goal,which is the freedom of somaligalbeed.the first generation did not succeed so we have to.

thank u all

sis maridian

I waz wonderin if you people knew that it is stated in the Ethiopian constitution that any region of their nation may secede if they wish, all u need is a referendum with a majority of votes.

there is also a clause in the ethio constitution that says the majority in the federal parlimant should aprove sach desire if and when a region decides so. do you realy think that uneven parliment votes for such rather adventure? sister the problem of Western somali is far from being the ocupation of ethios -surely its one of them and not the only one- but there are too many other problems such as proverty, tribelsm, underdevelopment, unresponsible politicians but to name a few. i think even if they receive their independence right now they start to kill each other as they are not capable of governing themselves. have you seen what is happeneng in their regional adminstaration. the people in that region need ceasefire and opening dialoge between their people and solve their problem no one eccept Allah can help them with their problems. and as somalis say labo qaawani is ma qaado .

i realy wish for those somalis success and their wished realised. i realy do.

best wishes