Sign in to follow this  
Jewel

Hijab: what's holding you back?

Originally posted by Opinionated:

Walking around without your hijab is not like walking around naked. I think we're taking this a little too far, don't you think? [/QB]

Opinionated,

I think it all depends on how the queen was brought up or the Islamic values she currently carries. People are not the same.

Hijab is one of the few things both Sunnis and Sheites agree on. There is absolutely no question about its validity.

If one distorts the interpretation of the Koran, there is always the Sunnah which is the word of the Prophet(pbuh). The Prophet(pbuh) clears up many things Alhamdulillah.

Saalixa   

salams to all

this is why i wear the hijab,

it's part of me, spiritually,

it's takes away the attention(you all know the sort of attention i mean) i don't like ppls attention on me

it's a matter of fullfilling your duties and all that you are aqauinted for. WE HEAR AND OBEY should be what comes out of every muslimah,,, not "that sheikh said that" or "but we live in a western society". They are very lame excuses to me.

it looks nice on me, soo cute,

it's gives me self confidence,,,power(woman power)

sometimes it is hard living in the west where you are all attacked coz you look alien

and all my friends have experienced this and they have been harrased one way or the other, which really scares me, but in the same time gets me more connected to my hijaab...

There was this stroy i heard a couple of years ago,,,

An arab girl (don't know where she exactely came from) was in a train late at night coming from a friends house. She was very scared as she was all by herself. As she sat there were a group of other young men also in the train. she became very scared but read ayatul kursi and some other ducooyin, anywho she got off and went home safe.

the next day she heard the news that at the same trainstation there was a girl that got raped by a bunch of Arab men. she found out that they were the same men that were in the same bus as her. She visited them in the detention centre and asked them why they didn't rape her and as she was in the same carraige, in the same train. They looked puzzled and told her she must be crazy becasue they didnt see a single girl in the train or the staion except for the one they have raped.

Allah subhanallah sheilded her from the group of men,,,and they didn't see her at all while she was sitting infront of them.

thats how much value the hijaab has and who ever fulfills what is put upon them, she will truelly get protection and mercy from our creator.

Stop the excuses girls and don't neglect who you are, and where you came from. Your a muslim female and thats all there is to it,,,no other excuse nor say against the demands of Allah or teachings of our prophet (saw).

hukri   

I was raised with the hijab and never has it really come to mind why I should take it off. The western world keep harrassing muslims keep saying the women need to liberated yadi yadi yadi!...I don't wear the hijab because I'm forced I wear it with fear of Allah.

I mean good luck all the ladies who are trying to adapt the hijab to their everyday life!

And rayaana what you just said...wow makes you think doesn't it? Maybe the ones who believe I need to be liberated need to read your post and understand it's for my own good and don't wear it because the men in my family are forcing me!!

A women actually stepped up to me and said that my clothing was very beautiful! and don't even bother thinking about comprimising with their half naked "modern women" piece of crap!...once you start comprimising...where will you draw the line??

Once again best of luck! ;)

|Peace|Love|Respect|

i want to say one thing,which is islam clearly did defined what hijab is,GOd says in holy quran oh prophet of GOd, say to ur wives,ur duaghters and wive of bellievers to cover themselves their veils( jalaabiib) that ought make them known and not disturbed doest it matter what cloth sis to wear as hijab,the answer to that question is postive,becuase there must be one main attribute which the cloth must not be transparet(kaashif) which mean if the cloth used as hijab doesn't make the body invisible then we can say that cloth is not hijab.doest matter what type of cloth? i think , and this my opnion, that there is particular type which moslim sis are obligated to wear as long as cloth not designed like men's wear.

originaly posted by:lst

Hijab is one of the few things both Sunnis and Sheites agree on. There is absolutely no question about its validity.

i think sunis and sheite do agree upon alot of things not few things.we can say 85% of islamic issues,so let us look the positive side and make harmony

Khayr, may I ask why you posted what you posted? If you are trying to portray me in the wrong light by using that past thread, you go right ahead cuz I still think the same way.

Somali caadi!

Originally posted by Libaax-Sankataabte:

quote:Originally posted by Opinionated:

Walking around without your hijab is not like walking around naked. I think we're taking this a little too far, don't you think?

Opinionated,

I think it all depends on how the queen was brought up or the Islamic values she currently carries. People are not the same.

If one distorts the interpretation of the Koran, there is always the Sunnah which is the word of the Prophet(pbuh). The Prophet(pbuh) clears up many things Alhamdulillah. [/QB]
I know.

Nur   

Hijaab is wonderful, I have never seen an attire that brings the best out of any woman than the Hijab. When men run to a Hijabi woman, they get the message written all over the sister, she is walking billboard of all good virtues, no man can get confused with a Hijabified woman, and when men talk to her, its not about her body parts, rather about issues that are discussed with them, addressing her intellect and humanness. Once a man discusses wit a woman in a Hijab, he cant help but admire her resolve in going her own way amid a society drievn by fashion, TV and peer pressure.

The Hijaab leaves a lot to be desired in a woman, it shows that she is confident about her feminity, that her body is not an ornament for strangers to view, and that she is in control of her desires, A hijabi woman seldomely attracts sexual harassment at work or at school, she just goes about her tasks without disrupting the dormant desires of weak men who cant control their hormones.

Nur

juba   

i am thinking of wearing the hijab this summer it will probably be the most important and hardest thing i have to face! i see hijab as liberating and purifying and i think its about time i wore it. yea my friends will be :confused: and pple will be rude and stare but thas what we go through for Allah.

so for all those about-to-wear-hijaberz like myself, do it for Allah and for the next life:) smile.gif

FARIID   

opionated wrote

There are many women out their with more spirituality than those who observe the technicalities of the religion, like the hijab. Then again, that is just my personal opinion!

I have never read a more contradicting statement. Dear, the hijab is part of ones faith, walahi one's faith in his clothes(hijab), beard e.t.c

Allah says

" and whoever holds in honour the symbols of Allah, such (honour) should come truly from piety of heart"

I hear a lot of people say you can't judge my imaan from the clothes that I wear, my heart is pure!. Imaan brothers is to attest with the tongue, do with the limbs,and certainity(yaqiin) in the hearts. The answer to those people is if your heart is indeed pure, then it would not flagrantly disobey allah. The heart is like a king , and the limbs are its soldiers. If the king is good , he orders his soldiers only good!

I hope all the sisters who don't wear the hijab will come back to the right path and i pray the ones that wear it, allah will give them the strength to continue.

I hear a lot of people say you can't judge my imaan from the clothes that I wear, my heart is pure!. Imaan brothers is to attest with the tongue, do with the limbs,and certainity(yaqiin) in the hearts. The answer to those people is if your heart is indeed pure, then it would not flagrantly disobey allah. The heart is like a king , and the limbs are its soldiers. If the king is good , he orders his soldiers only good!

Subhanallahi wa bihamdihi, Such a sound understanding!Jazakallahu khair

"It is only those who have knowledge among His slaves that fear Allâh. Verily, Allâh is All­Mighty, Oft­Forgiving."

for the sisters thinking of wearing hijab it is by far the easiest thing you could possibly do to please allah and its benefits are even greater. its sooo easy and it feels sooo good youll wonder why you didnt do this earlier. you feel covered, clothed, uninspected by wandering eyes. you feel proud, chaste and pleasing to allah. all this by just changing how you dress. i sometimes think about it and wonder why its such a big deal? its the shaydaan bringing barriers between us, sisters who wear it and those who dont.

Source: www.thestar.com

BY: JUDY GERSTEL

.............."But you cannot get away with walking around half-naked and not expect bad stuff to happen.

Proclaiming our sexual power, we're willing accomplices to a society that exploits female sexuality and, perhaps more than ever, treats women as erotic objects. "

Not all that long ago, says Francine Pelletier, "women who flaunted their sexuality lost all credibility. She'd be deemed a floozie —and that was it."

But that's no longer the case. Au contraire.

Now, a brazen display of female sexuality is not only tolerated, says Pelletier, former host of Fifth Estate. "It's encouraged.

"There's a real pressure, a bullying, to be that hottie no matter who you are."

How and why we got from there to here, and how it feels for women, is territory Pelletier explores in her documentary television series, Sex, Truth and Videotape, airing Monday nights at 10 on Newsworld.

The introductory show last week focused on confessions about sex by such celebrities as comedian Mary Walsh and novelist Susan Swan.

It gets even better over the next five episodes.

Coming up on Monday, "Sex and Beauty" looks at the relationship between a woman's appearance and her sex life. Do beautiful women have more and better sex? Future episodes explore sex and age, the matches people make, and "the first time."

What possessed Pelletier, a self-described feminist, to explore the status of sex in the lives of women?

In a word, Afghanistan.

During the war there, Pelletier says she was "bowled over by the sharp contrast between, on the one hand, images of women veiled from head to foot and on the other hand, the images of women here — Sex and the City images."

She found it "unimaginable that we actually live on the same planet."

The tension between the two sets of images stirred Pelletier to investigate how the dichotomy between the madonna and the ****, "which still exists so strongly in that part of the world, could have disappeared altogether in so short a time in this part of the world."

The 51-year-old veteran journalist began with no bias.

"I just waited for the answer," she says.

Society, she thinks, forgot to ask the question.

"We think because we're awash in sexual imagery, that we're a permissive, liberal society and that everyone's happy with that."

But are women really happy and comfortable with this? (And, she wonders, parenthetically, are men?)

One conclusion Pelletier reached, even after hours of videotaped conversations with women, is that it's difficult to make sense of the "progression" from an era in the recent past that was oppressive to women to the liberated present, which, Pelletier believes, is nevertheless "not women friendly."

And yet, she acknowledges, "Part of it is our own doing as feminists."

We've gone from centuries of being seen as "erotic objects," she points out, through the feminist era of "wanting to have a bigger say in things" and therefore deliberately sidelining our sexuality to, finally, a post-feminist reclaiming of female sexuality, a sexual liberation promoted by the likes of Madonna and Camille Paglia that is almost assaultive.

"If a young woman today thinks — and I think they do — that it's perfectly all right to have her tits hanging out of her blouse, because everyone does it and it's her body, that's (considered) `girl power.'

"But you cannot get away with walking around half-naked and not expect bad stuff to happen.

"For men, this dichotomy of **** and virtuous woman is much more alive than it is for women, especially young women. There's a dissonance."

Besides, she says about this "tremendous rush by women to be sexual, to look like the buxom, long-legged blonde" — "it's become ridiculous. And men don't even like it that much. They can appreciate the esthetics but they're not overly impressed by the women. In fact, they're embarrassed by the behaviour. Women are looking more and more like whores in their eyes. It's gone out of all proportion."

So where does the pressure come from for women to be openly sexual, to show up at work and on the subway with cleavage (even in winter!)? Pelletier calls it "a real bullying aspect to sexuality — you will be a hottie: that is the new commandment.

"This model of the perfectly desirable woman has become the model overriding all others and it's impossible for women not to want to be that, in a way."

In the end, Pelletier suggests, we women have fallen into a trap of our own making.

Proclaiming our sexual power, we're willing accomplices to a society that exploits female sexuality and, perhaps more than ever, treats women as erotic objects.

"The influence of Sex and the City gave the overriding impression that women were totally controlling their own lives, had developed healthy sexual appetites and would go wherever these appetites would bring them," she says. "But, at the same time, they were still looking for Mr. Right. They were these gorgeous, sexy girls who flaunted themselves and suggested the world is a better place for being able to do that and that there is no price to pay: `men will like you, you are who you are, you can make mistakes and carry on.'

"But I think it is more complicated than that. Much more. Every woman over 40 knows it's much more complicated than that."

As for those women wearing burkas in Afghanistan who inspired Pelletier, she says, while acknowledging the oppression and terrible constraints, "It must be a relief to be someone invisible and not have that pressure."

"We have our own uniforms here. We think we're so free, but we are living under our own constraints." smile.gifsmile.gif