Sign in to follow this  
Liibaan

Somaliland “Maxkamadaha nabadgelyo ayay sameeyeen, iyagga sabab u ahaa inay burburto”

that is what i've been saying ,,,,,,,,, they built a good peace and they destroyed it by themselves ...........

Now is time they realize that ,,,,,,,,,,,

Xoogsade   

I love when an Ethiopian has better sense of justice than so called somalis. Even ethiopians didn't and still don't buy Melle Zenawi's line of of "ICU" aggression.

Zenawi, U.S. and meddling in Somali affairs

By Tadesse Tadele Dec 10, 2006 —

In my recent commentary, Somalia, Not Our War, I have expressed my view opposing the current war waged by Meles Zenawi against the Somali people.

In that piece I tried to express how this war contradicts the Ethiopian culture of patriotism, self defense and patience. I indicated that, in our previous wars, we were always been invaded by foreign aggressors and the Ethiopian people stood in the sense of self defense. Therefore I have argued that this war against Somalia is not Ethiopian war and there should be no single Ethiopian life lost.

Few people who read my article accused me of supporting a “terrorist” group Union of Islamic Courts (ICU) that is showing aggression against Ethiopian sovereignty. In this I will try clarify how Zenawi is the aggressor and why ICU cannot be blamed for any wrong doing against Ethiopia. I would, further explain how Zenawi misinformed and misled the United State of America.

Zenawi’s involvement in Somali internal affairs goes back as far as his early years in power. Between 1992- 2000 , Zenawi’s military and security forces repetitively massed in Somalia in pursuit of members of the Ethiopian opposition forces who fled Ethiopia due to fear of prosecution. The security forces killed a number of ONLF and OLF supporters and sympathizers. During those oppressions, Zenawi’s forces received olive branch from some Somali warlords who collaborated in handing over and arresting Ethiopian refugees. This relationship grew in to the level where Ethiopian military directly involved in conflicts in support of pro Zanwi warlords, whom Abdulahi Yousuf is one.

Due to his direct involvement in Somali affairs, Zanawi obstructed the many Somali peace efforts which he thought would not give upper hand for his warlords. In 2004, when Abdullahi Yousuf finally became the visible leader of the proposed Transitional Federal Government (TFG), he gave green light. The TG which most Somali’ and the international community thought was bringing an end to the misery once more was dead on arrival due to its refusal to make the capital Mogadishu its seat. Instead the regimes decide to stay in Badao, the seat of Abdullahi Yusouf. This did not only lead the Somali people to mistrust the TG but also created an opportunity for ICU to emerge as united and strong national force for first time in 16 years.

I would not mind to say that ICU cannot be categorized as terrorist group at this time. The reason is that this group is the byproduct of the frustration of Somali people and resistant against abuse by warlords who murdered, raped and robed Somali civilians. With the coming of ICU, the residents of Mogadishu and its environs breathed peaceful air for first time. For first time in 15 years, Somali mothers sent their daughters to school with out fear of rape, harassment by local thugs. Somali children played on street without fear of been blown up by grenade. Major ports have been open, no more road blocks and taxis at every turn. In general the Somali people felt safer under the ICU leadership. In a very short period of time the ICU proved itself to the Somali people that it can bring security and stability, and therefore have been received by all sectors of Somali society so far.

Up to date the international communities haven’t seen a single terrorist attack against innocent foreign and Somali citizens. Then why is ICU accused of being a terrorist group by the US and Zanawi? The west particularly US have been following a misguided policy towards East African for decades thanks to their incompetent charge de affairs for Africa. Their mistake in miss handling and failing to understand the complexity of Somali politics will hunt them for decades to come.

After the failed intervention during 1993, the American policy makers clearly developed fear towards the Somali people. As result the US has followed the ‘proxy” approach in many cases to avoid direct engagement. As a result, the CIA sponsored “The Alliance for Restoration Peace and Counter-Terrorism”, a coalition of Mogadishu based warlords many of whom were directly involved in the 1993, and “Blackhawk” crisis. While sponsoring these groups, the US failed to consider how much public support these warlords have within their constituency let alone the general public. Sadly, President Bush who promised to democratize the world, turned blind eye on the human right abuse by the Somali warlords, and he rather preferred to finance their manslaughter project. This miscalculation in the side of US was exposed when the little known ICU swept out the warlords clearing up and putting Mogadishu under control of single leadership. The US policy once more is defeated and CIA is proved to be ill-informed by Zenawi.

Regarding why Zenawi accuses this group of being a terrorist, it will not surprise any Ethiopian who has observed the behaviors of Zenawi’s regime the EPRF. Zenawi’s minority government for years has been accusing those who opposed his failed policy. Let alone the armed groups such as EPPF, OLF and ONLY, Zenawi accused the CUD leadership, who won the 2006 election by landslide for plotting terrorism. As every body knows, CUD is peaceful political organization that never had an armed wing. So it should not be a surprise to hear Zenawi accusing ICU to exploit and gain the support of Islam phobic groups.

Is ICU a treat to the US & Ethiopia? The answer would depend very much on what Zenawi and the US will be doing to deal with the situation. If Zenawi continues his bullying behavior and the war breaks up, yes there will be a clear danger to Ethiopian national security as ICU could surely take a revenge action within our territory. Similarly if the US continues its financial support for Zenawi’s war and proceeds with the proposed UN draft to give allow foreign intervention, then ICU would be valuable to foreign influences that could be potential threat to the American interest in the region. Therefore Ethiopian military confrontation would only make Somalia a save heaven for terrorists and foreign elements.

The way forward is for Zenawi to immediately withdraw our troops from Somali territory. There is no justification for the Ethiopian people to loose a single soldier to protect a warlord who’s rejected by his own people. Yusouf and Zenawi are both unelected and unwanted by the people they try to govern. Therefore there should be no bloodshed between the people of Ethiopian and the people of Somalia. The two neighboring people need to stand hands in hands and say no to war mongers be it in the name of Ethiopia or Somalia.

The Americans should re-visit their policy towards the Horn of Africa. The only way to win the war on terror is to support the leaders who are being selected to lead the country. America must open up to the plight of the oppressed people of the region. It must listen to the call for freedom, peace, development, security and rule of law. It must stop funding state terrorism against the people. The long term national interest of United State can only be protected if and only if, the people who live in the horn region are satisfied by the US role in the region. Therefore the US should stop Zenawi from escalating the war in Somalia. It should also drop the draft which calls for the UN to lift the arms embargo on Somalia. Lifting the embargo would only lead to more blood shade and most probably could be exploited by terrorist groups which US is intended to fight.

In conclusion, the war declared on Somali in the name of protecting Ethiopian sovereignty is a recipe for all out regional war that would benefit only those war mongers not the people. If it continues inflaming the war, the US particularly will once more make a historical mistake. In 1993, the ill informed US intervention led to the failure of UN mission in Somalia and of course the death of thousands of Somali civilians. This one could excel that. Somali could be become Iraq, in worst case scenario the outcome could be more failed states. Is the international community ready to deal with that?? Still this is NOT Ethiopians war!!

* The writer is an Ethiopian college teacher residing in Dire Dawa and can be reached at tadessetadele@yahoo.com

http://ethiopiahagere.objectis.net/Articles/zenawimeddling

LANDER   

Originally posted by Xoogsade:

I love when an Ethiopian has better sense of justice than so called somalis. Even ethiopians didn't and still don't buy Melle Zenawi's line of of "ICU" aggression.

You probably also realize that Somalis are some of the most treacherous and dishonorable human beings on the face of the earth. Although most will argue to the contrary.

A.J.   

Lander you are right,

but it is like you said there are many on here who would dispute that.

Somalis are some of the most treacherous and dishonorable human beings on the face of the earth.

Xuuman iyo foolxumo qofkii raadiya wuu hale.

I'm sorry Lander, but that's most ignorant thing that any intelligent human ever said.

Fabregas   

It was always clear the Islamic courts were never going to acceot the conditions(surrender or else) laid to them by Ethiopia. Nor was Ethiopia ever going to accept an Islamic group(Alitixaad) with a history of combat against Ethiopia on her doorstep. Which even laid claims to region of Somali Galbeed. This was even less likely given the history of combat between key players in the crisis( Abdullahi Yusuf vs Dahir Aweys). Therefore, there was always one solution, that is, the bullet and gun, as cold as it may sound. The Courts declared Jihad because they knew full well that the Ethiopians would attack sooner or later. Thus they needed to prepare their gurmads and finances for the war effort. So i fail to see how they broke any peace.

A.J.   

Che,

Maybe the truth hurts too much but i agree with Lander's sentiment there. i feel that is the main reason why the Somali's can never have peace with eachother

I couldnt agree more

The shame of it all is whilst even an Ethopian can give a more truthfull and accurate account of what has been happening, A lot of our own brethrin cant!

Why.....

In any case this conflict has served to really educate me and open my eyes, a lot of people i knew personally and respected have exposed themselves. I guess it doesnt matter anyway so long as they feel that they interests are being served.

Originally posted by Renegade:

Che,

Maybe the truth hurts too much but i agree with Lander's sentiment there. i feel that is the main reason why the Somali's can never have peace with eachother

Please don't a confuse an opinion with the truth. You are only expressing your sentiment, not an actual fact.

A.J.   

Che,

Bro, i didnt say it was a fact but sadly enough Somali history does indicate my and Landers sentiments do have serious grounds to stand

Khalaf   

Originally posted by Che-Guevara:

quote: Somalis are some of the most treacherous and dishonorable human beings on the face of the earth.

Xuuman iyo foolxumo qofkii raadiya wuu hale.

I'm sorry Lander, but that's most ignorant thing that any intelligent human ever said.
Look at the other Muslims Countries! Their regimes have committed some of the worst crimes against innocents, killings for greed, power, torturing opposition cats, even asking for the Help of US troops to safeguard the Holy Lands of Islam, Allowing air space to be used against other Muslim States, and Assisting the non-muslims! That is known! But never, never, when it comes to shacabka (community), the people of the Muslimeen in the world have they in wars ever killed each other as we did in the civil war, burned each others dead bodies, and worse worse in my view dishorned gang raped the Muslim Women by the thousands even in the Masjids of Allah wa subhana tala! Therefore Lander's statement rings truth!

^^^A word of advice Khalaf...Refrain from using the words like NEVER.

And what Muslim nation do you know that went through a civil war?

The only country I can think of is Afghanistan. Crimes agianst the citizenry in Afghanistan are notoriously as bad as those in Somalia. To know the extent of the horrors there, just ask an Afghani who has lived through the civil war.