Sign in to follow this  
Gabbal

Somali Warlord Threatens African Peace Force

Gabbal   

Waa waray the division concering the peace-keeping force issue is rearing its ugly head! I'm 'fraid that this single issue is what can determine the failure or success of the current transational gov.

code:

Somali Warlord Threatens African Peace Force

MOGADISHU (Reuters) - A warlord urged Somalis on Wednesday to attack foreign peacekeeping troops being sent to support the Somali government when it returns home this month after last year's peace accord for the lawless state.

The call by Osman Ali Ato, a government minister, for Somalis to attack troops from historic foe Ethiopia revealed fresh signs of division in the new government under President Abdullahi Yusuf -- elected at the peace talks in Kenya.

Diplomats said the remarks by Mogadishu militia baron Ato boded ill for a peace mission agreed this week by the 53-nation African Union (AU), which plans to send troops shortly from five countries including Ethiopia to shore up Yusuf's government.

The fledgling Somali government, which has remained in Kenya's relative safety since its formation, plans to go home on Feb. 21, Prime Minister Mohamed Ali Gedi said.

Ato, who is housing minister in the government, said in a radio interview broadcast on Tuesday evening and again on Wednesday that Yusuf's new government did not need AU help to stabilize Somalia, which plunged into chaos with the 1991 overthrow of dictator Mohamed Siad Barre.

He accused Yusuf of stirring divisions between Somalia and Ethiopia in a plot to further Ethiopia's alleged ambitions to control Somalia, echoing a widespread view of Yusuf and his closest colleagues as northerners manipulated by Addis Ababa.

"I urge all Somali people to prepare to fight against our enemies, be they Ethiopians or Somalis," Ato told Radio Shabelle from Kenya, where he and most of his colleagues are still based.

"President Abdullahi Yusuf is the first person who wants clashes between Ethiopians and Somalis.".....

Reuters

bilan   

first time i agree with a warlord.

what is wrong with abdulahi yusuf, from all people how he dares to bring ethiopians to somalia, i hope people in mogadisho will never accept it.

Osman Ato is trying to talk as usual. However callin out for the people to fight shows how desperate he is getting. Alas him and Musa Sudi are champions of Somalia against Ethiopia

NGONGE   

^^^^I admire your faith and enthusiasm, saaxib (not a dig).

Here we have a government based in another country, a cabinet made up of warlords and parasites and a president hated by most of his cabinet, yet you still persist in your argument that everything is going to be ok!

If it was marginal warlords who were talking, I’ll understand how you could easily brush their comments aside. But, when it’s the Trade Minster and the Housing Minster who are coming out with comments undermining the efforts of their very own government, surely some alarm bells should be ringing in your head, saaxib!

Still, I’m with you on one thing; the president will prevail in the end. He seems much shrewder, savvier and plays the politics game a lot better than these imbeciles. He’s going to use Ethiopian troops though, wont he? :D

N.O.R.F   

Here we have a government based in another country, a cabinet made up of warlords and parasites and a president hated by most of his cabinet, yet you still persist in your argument that everything is going to be ok!

Wasnt there a Beatles song called Dream Dream Dream? :D

Seriously though, some tough decisions have to be made in the Cabinet, i just hope it all falls into place sooner rather than later.

I think Ato came to calculation that he will lose most of his power if the govt. functioning in Somalia. He can scream or shout but the train started to move though a bit and will never stop for the likes of Ato, sudi. The president is in tune with ordinary people who are routinely had to put up with Ato and his likes. The momentum is with the president and not with those old warlords. Since when Ato become a national hero? Everyone knows its one of Ato's old tricks but who will buy it? Not me and certainly not the president.

think Ato came to calculation that he will lose most of his power if the govt

Aint that the truth.

NGOON, I am a Somali nationalist and I can not agree with any warlord who is trying to derail the peace process for his own ends. Like I sadi before we have a government, it has massive support in the country. It lacks the infrsutructure and institutions and finances but it has a clear agenda. To improve the national security of the nation. That means raining in the warlords and factions in and outside of the government.

Jumatatu   

How soon people like Duke forget the capability of Ato. But that is typical isn't it? The cowards hiding behind force other than theirs, however when the Axmaars whom you are expecting to reinstall your tyranny is giving the hiding then you will be open and , mark my words, history will be re-written all over again.

And then Duke sxb your immunity for being a 'step-son' will be null and void.

36_2_15.gif

A government that is being torn to shreds by the minute as there is no consensus and not mandate by the very elected ministers and MPs.

Ethiopia lost a 30 year old war with its neighbors Eritrea. Now if the troops involved are the right mixture and not entirely from Ethiopia then there is a chance that something good may come of it but to push the agenda for Ethiopian troops to be let lose in Somalia is a frightening prospect. The are a landlocked country and can only survive to trade and do most of international trade through another country and now that Somalis don’t see eye to eye, its ripe to be taken over very easily whilst others just think its for the purpose of security only.

It is landlocked country and entire coastline along the Red Sea was lost with the de jure independence of Eritrea on 24 May 1993. 67,851,281 is its growing population. Estimates for this country explicitly take into account the effects of excess mortality due to AIDS; this can result in lower life expectancy, higher infant mortality and death rates, lower population and growth rates, and changes in the distribution of population by age and sex than would otherwise be expected (July 2004 est.)

Somalia has the land but hasn’t got the population to fill it with and is a brilliant gateway to most east, central and South African countries. That means a lot of wealth for the Somali unlike the Ethiopians.

Its may well be very easy for Ethiopia to get in through the pretext of providing security but you should be aware of its main motive which is to try and settle some if not all its population with Somalia and that may well mean another 30 year war to get them out.

So beware of the consequences of what is being proposed by some here loudly. You may just be the target of tomorrow and Ethiopia can’t do without ports and Somalia has in abundance.

Juma, what capability of Ato, he is an old has been who is pushing his luck. As for Qb analysis, what on earth are you on about? The AU is made up of 50 odd countries each with different interest so why should Ethiopias alone supercede all others?

As for this troop deployment, its important to note that its only 7500 troops from Igad countries and there for a limited time.

Ethiopia's Tigray Junta needs a stable Somalia without which its very survival will be in danger. Consider that the Tigray are around 6 million out of a population of 67 million. The Oromo, Afar, Amhara and Somali all want a peace of the action.

I only see a mutual interest, while others are overplaying the power and significance of the Ethio-Somali alliance.

Duke have you been promised aposition of power that we have no clue about or what? You seem to ignore all the rest of us by just brushing everyones opinion down the drain thinking your opinions only reign supreme despite the majority here having reservations of some kind or other.

As for Ato and co, they happen to be the members of the elected Govt in transition and by the way that includes uncle yey too. So if they think that bringing troops would just add to the already existing problem, wouldnt it prudent to atleast acknowledge their misgivings especially since they hold the cards right now. People of somalia dont need another war just peace and you should be advocating for that rather than just want to use some gangho kinda tactics.

By the way its QL and not QB thank you very much.

To QL,

Yes Ato and Musa are part of the government, however they need to understand that governments work in consensus their opinions don’t mean nothing if they cannot convince the rest of the cabinet or MP’s in the parliament.

The cabinet have passed the request for foreign troops and it will be put before the parliament soon. Why and who on earth has given the right for these two or three individuals to encourage the Somali masses to rise up against a peace keeping force their government has requested. If they don’t agree why not resign instead of using blatant clan tactics?

These individuals seem to be afraid of change and do not quite know how to resist or overcome this change.

As for starting a civil war, what proof have you got for this? The factions have been given notice that the government is focusing on improving the nation’s security situation. Obviously there needs to be help from some quarter to fulfil this aim.

As I have said before on numerous occasions, there is no alternative and the government cannot be held hostage to any clan. It has a right to assert its authority around the country that’s its job. If one faction leader or a clan wants to go against this then they have to be dealt with.

7500 troops will not be and will not be able to occupy Somalia, however it can help the government settle in and then take care of business.

The president should sack these disruptive elements in his cabinet, saaxib. Can he though?

Brother he will if they keep puching their luck :D

Ato had a game all along however he has not managed even to convince the other Mogadishu ministers, this shows his weakness for while he wants to derail the government from within using emotive claim of representing the clan.

Those from Hiiraan, South Mogadishu and even his own subclan do not trust his intentions for they have all been there with him in the past.

Now he has to deal with the PM, Mohamed Dhere, Qaynyare, Finish, Bashir Rage. So why sack him when he will be so frustrated that he will resign, then you can replace him.

The point is that A/Y has welcomed all his rivals, highlighting the moves towards reconciliation. Now those who support the actions of these individuals are not doing so because of any noble notion other than to support the clan politics. If this is the case as it seems with Juma, then he must be proud of Ato's but the old man is cornered we wait to see what his lackeys like Juma can pull out of the hat.

AYOUB   

^^Smith ,if foreign troops forcibly disarming the militias is good thing, where do you think is a good place to start? smile.gif