Sign in to follow this  
Libaax-Sankataabte

OUR BREAKING NEWS: The war

AUN   

I recommend that if you look at this website by Robet Fisk one of few neutral reporters from the Middle East who has been working there for more than thirty years. He regularly writes for the British Independent but even better he writes at his own website which gives him more freedom than his newspaper allows the link is

http://www.robert-fisk.com/

Kool_Kat   

Saddam Urges Iraqis to 'Draw Your Sword'

By HAMZA HENDAWI

BAGHDAD, Iraq (AP) - The first day of war turned Baghdad into a city of contrasts: Explosions rocked the capital at dawn and hospitals cared for a few wounded, but most of the city was quiet and some children were on the streets riding bicycles or playing soccer.

Iraqi officials said at least one person was killed after U.S. forces pounded Baghdad with cruise missiles and precision-guided bombs Thursday morning at the start of the fight to depose Saddam Hussein.

Nine people were in serious but stable condition with shrapnel injuries at Baghdad's Al-Yarmouk Hospital, Dr. Jamal Abed Hassan said. They included six members of one family that was having breakfast when their town 20 miles west of Baghdad was attacked, the doctor said.

``Bush, Bush, listen carefully. We all love Saddam Hussein,'' one family member, Hamad Abdullah, said as she recovered from injuries in both legs and recited a chant from recent government-organized demonstrations.

Al-Kindi Hospital in the working class Al-Nahda district treated five people for wounds, including Iraqi TV journalist Anmar Waheed and his 36-year-old sister, who were hurt as they tried to reach a shelter, according to Dr. Osama Saleh al-Dilimi.

Air sirens first blared about 5:30 a.m. in the Iraqi capital, and yellow and white anti-aircraft tracers streaked through the sky. Strong explosions could be heard. Most seemed to be outside the city, but one was followed by a ball of fire toward the southern part of Baghdad.

Allied warplanes also hit targets in western Iraq, bombing at least one mobile Scud missile site. Frequent sonic booms and the aircraft sounds also could be heard in northern Iraq, above the city of Sulaymaniyah in the Kurdish autonomous enclave.

Some U.S. strikes were aimed directly at Saddam himself. CIA Director George J. Tenet had told President Bush that U.S. intelligence believed it had a probable fix on the residence where Saddam and other Iraqi leaders would be sleeping in the early morning in Baghdad, U.S. officials said, speaking on condition of anonymity.

Those other Iraqi leaders were believed to include Saddam's two sons, Qusai and Odai, but officials said it was unclear Thursday whether any of them were actually near the target, or had been killed. Both sons hold high-level security positions in Saddam's regime.

A subdued Saddam appeared on state-run television after the air strike on Baghdad, accusing the United States of a ``shameful crime'' and urging his people to ``draw your sword'' against the invaders. It could not be immediately determined whether the message had been recorded before the attacks, although U.S. officials said the broadcast appeared to be a fairly impromptu production.

``We will resist the invaders, and God willing, we will force them to reach the limits where they will lose their patience and thus lose the illusions they have entertained,'' the Iraqi president, in full military uniform, said in an address peppered with citations from the Quran.

The initial firing in Baghdad stopped after about 30 minutes and the capital fell still. A mosque's muezzin issued the call for dawn Islamic prayers. Soon after, anti-aircraft fire and distant explosions broke the silence, setting off car alarms.

Information Ministry spokesman Mohammed Saeed al-Sahhaf said coalition forces hit a customs compound and an Iraqi TV facility in western Iraq and had jammed an Iraqi satellite TV station. He said two civilian locations were hit south of Baghdad.

Hundreds of armed members of Saddam's Baath party and security forces took up positions in Baghdad after the sirens went off. The streets were mostly empty of civilians - and of regular army troops or armour.

Many people had streamed out of the capital on Wednesday for the relative safety of the countryside. Nearly every store was shut, and many people taped their windows.

Some coffee shops and cheap restaurants were open, and even some of the city's double-decker public buses were moving in very light traffic. Some children were out on the streets riding bicycles or playing soccer.

A Baath Party member, Hussein Ilwan, 47, spent the night the war began on his guard post, behind sandbags in the upscale al Mansour area of the capital. Ilwan said he wants ``one of two things: Either a dignified life, or an honourable death.''

03/20/03 09:36 EST

Curly   

The full text of President George W Bush's speech and curly_sue’s comments if she was there! lol :

"My fellow citizens. At this hour, American and coalition forces are in the early stages of military operations to disarm Iraq, to free its people and to defend the world from grave danger. (What danger? The only country able to cause great danger is America. And the people were fine before you started melding with them, anyways…I don’t see you after Korea and their weapons of mass destruction their so public about!)

"On my orders, coalition forces have begun striking selected targets of military importance to undermine Saddam Hussein's ability to wage war. These are opening stages of what will be a broad and concerted campaign. (Saddam wasn’t planning to wage war ever, the whole Iraq scene had been quiet for years, till you decided you wanted revenge for September 11th)

"More than 35 countries are giving crucial support from the use of naval and air bases to help with intelligence and logistics to deployment of combat units.

"Every nation in this coalition has chosen to bear the duty and share the honour of serving in our common defence. (Wrong! They’re actually not with you in this one! http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,343-617614,00.html)

"To all the men and women of the United States armed forces now in the Middle East, the peace of a troubled world and the hopes of an oppressed people now depend on you. That trust is well placed. (You’re planning to kill and make homeless thousands of Iraqi’s, so run that by me again! So this will bring peace how?!)

"The enemies you confront will come to know your skill and bravery. The people you liberate will witness the honourable and decent spirit of the American military. (Please don’t make me sick! honourable and decent are definitely not words I’d used to describe the American military!)

"In this conflict America faces an enemy that has no regard for conventions of war or rules of morality. Saddam Hussein has placed Iraqi troops and equipment in civilian areas, attempting to use innocent men, women and children as shields for his own military. A final atrocity against his people. (Hello, are you really that dim-witted or did you miss the whole bit about how Hans Blix’s hasn’t found any weapons!?)

"I want Americans and all the world to know that coalition forces will make every effort to spare innocent civilians from harm. A campaign on the harsh terrain of the nation as large as California could be longer and more difficult than some predict and helping Iraqis achieve a united, stable and free country will require our sustained commitment. (What like you did with Afghanistan?)

"We come to Iraq with respect for its citizens, for their great civilisation and for the religious faiths they practise. We have no ambition in Iraq except to remove a threat and restore control of that country to its own people. (Yeah right like you’d care about the thousands of innocent civilians you’ve killed by placing Iraq under sanitations for years, due to your hunger for Oil)

"I know that the families of our military are praying that all those who serve will return safely and soon.

"The people of the United States and our friends and allies will not live at the mercy of an outlaw regime that threatens the peace with weapons of mass murder. (in that case shouldn’t America be invaded and their weapons disarmed?)

"We will meet that threat now with our army, air force, navy, coastguard and marines so that we do not have to meet it later with armies of fire-fighters and police and doctors on the streets of our cities. (Still using September 11th as an excuse to wage war over Iraq, isn’t revenge a sin?)

"Now that conflict has come, the only way to limit its duration is to apply decisive force and I assure you this will not be a campaign of half measures and we will accept no outcome but victory. (Who are you fighting?, I thought you were going to disarm the country!)

"My fellow citizens, the dangers to our country and the world will be overcome. We will pass through this time of peril and carry on the work of peace. We will defend our freedom. We will bring freedom to others and we will prevail. (I’d love to send a dictionary to Bush, and explain to him the meaning of freedom; I think he’s got it twisted with incarceration!)

Senora   

(QUOTE)"The enemies you confront will come to know your skill and bravery. The people you liberate will witness the honourable and decent spirit of the American military. (Please don’t make me sick! honourable and decent are definitely not words I’d used to describe the American military!)(/QUOTE)

One thing i try and tell people is that the military is in no reason to be at fault here. Their main goal is to protect their nation, and to abide by the instructions given to them by the superior officers. In fact their are a number of people serving who disagree with the war. Some are trying to get discharged, but others understand that their positions as military officials are to withhold personal opinion and protect and serve their country. That is one thing i appreciate and admire about them. That is what makes them honorouble and decent. Please, point your finger, and do your name calling to the real culprits, the ones who are giving these orders to these men and women( say for the instance the commander and chief?)

(QUOTE)"In this conflict America faces an enemy that has no regard for conventions of war or rules of morality. Saddam Hussein has placed Iraqi troops and equipment in civilian areas, attempting to use innocent men, women and children as shields for his own military. A final atrocity against his people. (Hello, are you really that dim-witted or did you miss the whole bit about how Hans Blix’s hasn’t found any weapons!?)(/QUOTE)

I think you misread this a bit. It is in no way referring to the assumptions or suscpicions of WMD or other types ff weapon defiances. It is merely criticizing Husseins war strategies. He is trying to say that the fact that Saddam stationed his troops in civilian locations, which puts his people in danger, therfore stating that Hussien is in disregard for the typical convention of war and is in disregard to rules of morality.

(QUOTE)"I want Americans and all the world to know that coalition forces will make every effort to spare innocent civilians from harm. A campaign on the harsh terrain of the nation as large as California could be longer and more difficult than some predict and helping Iraqis achieve a united, stable and free country will require our sustained commitment. (What like you did with Afghanistan?)(/QUOTE)

Now i know you understand that fighting a nation-state is much more easier than fighting a sub-nation and even individuals!

(QUOTE)"The people of the United States and our friends and allies will not live at the mercy of an outlaw regime that threatens the peace with weapons of mass murder. (in that case shouldn’t America be invaded and their weapons disarmed?)(/QUOTE)

the problem with this is, even though i don't think it's fair, the United States, legally has the right to won their weapons( yep even the WMD!) However after the Gulf War, Iraq has underwent a lot of punishment, and under many resolutions legally doesn't have the right to possess such weapons. I know, it's totally unfair, by thats what You get when your dealing with a hegemon.

(QUOTE)"My fellow citizens, the dangers to our country and the world will be overcome. We will pass through this time of peril and carry on the work of peace. We will defend our freedom. We will bring freedom to others and we will prevail. (I’d love to send a dictionary to Bush, and explain to him the meaning of freedom; I think he’s got it twisted with incarceration!)(/QUOTE)

I don't see how that word fits?

I have to say other than these few things, your arguments were very justifiable, i agreed with some, and even if i didn't agree, they were legitimate arguments that i couldn't argue with or make counterpoints. Next time, it's better to have legtimate evidence to base your opinions, and it also makes you look smarter when you criticize cetain policies, opinions, or just targeting the credibility of a person, rather then targeting the person individually as a whole. Other than that, your arguments were well stated.

Curly   

Sorry luv but I wasn't trying to prove anything, I was simply voicing my opinions, If I wanted to I could insult the whole of America for what Bush and his regime has done and I wouldn’t be bothered whether you agreed or disagreed with me, it’s still my opinion. Thanks anyways (no hard feelings smile.gif )

Ariadne   

I'm not taking any sides here, but something princess sexy said has made me a tad bit angry.

Originally posted by Princess_Sexy:

One thing i try and tell people is that the military is in no reason to be at fault here. Their main goal is to protect their nation

Really? you don't say! because it seems to me to protect a country, you're on the defensive and to be on the defensive means of course defending

the country ;) . So how are they protecting their country if they are attacking?

Honesita   

May Allah grant the Iraqis the victory.....it might be unbelievable, but i believe Allah has the power to do the unbelievable...!!! I learned when i was younger about a battle in the times of the prophet where the Muslims were very few in number compared to the Gaalos...and they won...with the help of Allah...he sent them Angels that faught with them...!!! Even though it might be hard for Saddam to win this war...i would honestly appreciate it if he caused some major destructions to the Americans and of course our worst enemy...Isreal...!!!

Salaamz

HEY GUYS AM PRAY FOR MY COUNRTY SOMALIAN WE BEEN THROUGHT THIS SHIT AND WE LOSE THOUSANDS OF PEOPLE AND NO HELP US SO WHY I CARE ABOUT IRAQ IS NOT MAKING NO SENSE TO ME YALL DONT EVEN KNOW WHAT HE DID TO OUR SOMALIAN RUFFEGES HE HURT THEM OUR SOMALIANS FAMLIY SO BAD. FORGET HIS ASS AND LETS PRAY FOR OUR COUNRTY THAT IS ALL AM GONNA SAY.ISAKATAYA CALOLJILECA.

Khayr   

Salamz,

Anybody hear of the sandstorms that have increased around the war zone areas.

I was listening to the news earlier today on the radio and they indicated that Dust Storms had risen and increased.

You know these dust storms disable the precision targeted missiles from their warships and planes.

Cause they can't see what they are trying to hit.

But like they care what they hit, as long its in a muslim country its a

'GOOD TARGET AND CAN'T BE MISSED'.

Senora   

S.O.S.

you know you bring up a very good point that i can't help but agree with you on. I'll have to look up a few more things before i just retract my statement, but thanks for enlightening me on that part, i guess i can say some things that i dont think through thoroughly.

Haashim   

Honesita, You're absouletly right, although they were fighting against IRAQ through the last 12 years by sanctions, so called no fly zones and destroying their weapons through the so called UN inspectors, despite all these long weakining process yet they're fearing to go inside IRAQ. and ALLAH will show us his MIRACLE in IRAQ, just we have to help them our DUAA, the best weapon of MUSLIM person.

LAX WALBA SHILALKAY IS DHIGTAA LAGU QALAA

Miriam1   

The Arab Press agonies over the war.

Well naturally execpt the Kuwaties :rolleyes:

The USA is launching a war to intentionally kill and wipe out a people, land and nation by using destructive missiles

Tishrin - Syria

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It is not enough for them to see some Arab territories bleeding, our airspace and waters turned into passages of death. They want to add our bodies to these, to complete their portrait, which they have been preparing for decades.

Al-Thawrah - Syria

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Even if the Iraqis hate Saddam they cannot love those who light fires in their airspace and destroy their positions.

Al-Riyadh - Saudi Arabia

The media is a common weapon during war. The American media has been turned into a weapon of attack. The Iraqis are using it as a weapon of defence in the war.

Al-Watan - Saudi Arabia

The war in the Arab territory of Iraq, where victims are being killed, invalidated all the humanitarian values invoked by the force which has launched the war. The least we can say is it is a clear aggression on an Arab independent state. The Americans, British and all those who took part in the war will pay a heavy price for this adventure.

Al-Jazirah - Saudi Arabia

The ongoing confusion within the international community is disturbing and worrying. We wish the US administration could see this and not allow the war to be prolonged, which would destroy the unique bilateral relations with the USA.

Ukaz - Saudi Arabia

We have to acknowledge that these are the days when we should rejoice over the misfortune of the Iraqi Ba'ath Party. We are happy for the Iraqi people, who will be freed from tyranny and occupation after three decades of darkness and crime.

Al-Ra'y Al-Am - Kuwait

:rolleyes: redface.gif :mad: :confused: :mad: :rolleyes:

A few more days and the media will rush to report on Saddam, his angels and how they have fallen

Al-Watan - Kuwait

We learnt that Saudi Arabia prepared itself for months to raise a 50-million-barrel oil reserve to supply the market in order to compensate for the deficit in the US reserve so that it does not suffer from the interruption in the Iraqi oil supply. We still hope that Saudi and all the Arabs will move to stop the premeditated, unjustified and illegal aggression on our proud struggler Iraqi people. Maybe they will wake up, since defending Iraqi means defending themselves. The hostile US plan imposed by Zionism will not exclude anyone.

Al-Arab al-Alamiyah - London-based

US justice burns Iraq. Those who fire rockets and huge bombs to kill thousands of Iraqi are war criminals, and should be tried as war criminals. Shame on the Arab nation standing there watching this crime. Shame on the Arab nation standing there like observers following the burning and destruction of steadfast Baghdad. Shame on the Arab leaders who can only blame the Iraqi regime and hold him responsible for what has happened

Al-Quds al-Arabi - London-based

President Bush did not expect his disdain for the United Nations to cause such angry reactions from the Pope, the Archbishop of Canterbury, Kofi Annan, Jacques Chirac, Vladimir Putin and Gerhard Schroeder, particularly as the logic Bush used to justify striking Iraq was derived from the logic used by [israel's] Menahem Begin to justify striking the Iraqi nuclear reactor in 1981. The French president saw a violation of international law in that political judgment, and a return to the mafia gang wars which terrorised American towns in the 1930s and 40s.

Al-Hayat - London-based

Miriam1   

Salam these are just more i foundthe military conflict.

It is not an exaggeration to say that this war will bring about three different wars in the form of political, ideological and psychological disturbances.

Al-Quds - Palestinian Authority

In this difficult situation, Arabs must unite and agree on a unified stance because individual opinions and adventures have led Iraq into this situation.

Al-Watan - Saudi Arabia

If the USA continues to target Saddam Hussein in this manner, firing missiles at one position, more massacres should be expected among civilians.

Al-Jazirah - Saudi Arabia

What worries us is the USA's support for a group of evil people in the Iraqi opposition. No country can entrust them with leadership.

Al-Watan - Kuwait

The US administration lacked the blessings of international Christianity.

Al-Ra'y Al-Am - Kuwait

Jordan will not stop performing its humanitarian duty towards the Iraqi people... We totally reject interference with the unity of Iraqi territory.

Al-Ra'y - Jordan

We hope this war will not be prolonged and are calling for efforts to provide humanitarian aid to the Iraqi people, to use logic and reason to end the suffering.

Oman Daily - Oman

If the USA really wanted to get rid of weapons of mass destruction, it would have let the United Nations weapons inspectors do their job, and if Iraq really had nuclear weapons like North Korea, the USA and its allies would not dare to go near Iraq.

Al-Watan - Oman

Any issue regarding international law or the UN has now become political heresy, after the US attacked the law by launching a war against Iraq. The USA has definitely committed the greatest crime against humanity.

Al-Watan - Qatar

Without doubt the war against Iraq will leave behind a devastating effect on the international community.

Al-Ahram - Egypt

The Iraqi crisis will not end with the strike launched against it... President George Bush's decision to launch the attack without the UN and the international community's backing will open doors of evil in the region and the world at large.

Al-Akhbar - Egypt

The war has begun, and it will not cease to continue as long as there are those who have gone blind for the love of power and forget the problems facing their own people.

Al-Ittihad - UAE

The war has began and it marks a collapse of international conventions and humanity at large.

Al-Khalij - UAE

The world has been alarmed by what the USA has done, and for us Arabs yesterday was a remorseful day, and at the same time it is to be considered a black day to be recorded in our history books.

Al-Bayan - UAE

The Arab leaders will be held responsible for any child who is killed in Iraq.

Al-Jamahiriyah - Libya

The USA might benefit in installing an allied regime, but this will certainly force it into losing many regimes in the world.

Al-Shams - Libya

Iraq in the hands of the US could be better than under Saddam Hussein's rule, his dictatorship and the Security Council's sanctions which have dislocated the fabric of the Iraqi society.

Al-Hayat - London-based