Sign in to follow this  
NGONGE

A President Or A Geography Teacher?

NGONGE   

I notice not one single person dealt with any of my questions ( on this thread)! Let me give it yet another try.

Where shall I start? Shall I bore you all and go right from the beginning or should I assume that you already know the history?

Ok. Here is what I’ll do. I’ll start from the beginning and those that already know can skip the boring parts and hop on at whatever point they feel is the juiciest. Deal?

Once upon a time, a city was in ruins. Warlords and ruffians roamed the streets. For a decade or more, these criminals controlled the city and oppressed the poor residents. Then, one day, a benign Islamic Courts grouping that was always there but only concerned itself with settling local disputes and dealing with religious matters, was trampled on by the Warlords. Furthermore, the warlords had American support and everybody knows how Islamists would oppose anyone with American support!

The Courts rose up. Fought back. Won and conquered. The clouds of oppression dispersed and the sun of justice shone on the city. Those of us watching events unfold from our faraway residences cheered and hollered. ‘These are good men’ we shouted. They are not after wealth or power. They are not political animals. They are men that got fed up with the constant abuse of the land and wanted to put an end to injustice. Hail the Courts! Long live the Courts!

But there was a fly in the ointment. The country already had an internationally put together transitional federal government. This government resented the Courts and their potential for taking over the entire country. The government was populated and run by the worst elements of the Warlords era. Still, because these were politicians and were getting expert foreign advice, they extended a hand to the Courts and invited them to join the government. However, the Courts, still consumed by the euphoria of victory and the sense of invincibility that the people’s support gave them, refused the overtures of the TFG and went on making unreasonable announcements about how they plan to conquer the whole of Somalia and parts of neighbouring countries (you can dissect that last statement at your leisure). They accused the TFG of harbouring foreign troops and gave them a seven-day ultimatum. War broke out and the Courts lost!

At the head of the Courts, stood a humble, genuine looking, educated, gentle speaking Geography Teacher. He was something different. He dressed like a peasant and spoke like the man in the street. He captured the imagination of most Somalis and people hailed him as the man to lead Somalia back from the abyss. His hypnotic power was so strong that when he spoke of war and Jihad nobody blinked or even questioned such reckless statements. He was given the benefit of the doubt because he seemed genuine (some would swear the wildest oaths possible that the man was genuine). When he donned the camouflage outfit and brandished a machine gun whilst promising hellfire to the collaborators and foreign puppets, people cheered him on and nodded their heads in total agreement. When he ran away and left his comrades dying in the arid fields, people made excuses for him and reminded any that would listen that the man was not a fighter but a mere geography teacher!

After quick visits to Kenya and Yemen and a couple of meetings with CIA operatives, the man resurfaced in Eritrea! He was still dressed like a humble geography teacher and he still spoke in that gentle way of his. But, this time, he was heading the resistance. He made endless speeches about foreign interference in Somali affairs and the shamelessness of the collaborators. He set up his own organisation for the re-liberation of Somalia! It was a clear statement of how he viewed the deployment of foreign troops in the country. He and his supporters were vehemently opposed to it. That he was based in and getting support from a foreign country did not seem to him (or his supporters) to contradict with his avowed position! When challenged, he and his supporters shrugged the whole thing away and invited people to focus on the bigger picture. Somalia was occupied and needed to be liberated.

All the while, the humble, simply dressed geography teacher was metamorphosing into a wily, trendily dressed statesman! With the help of the UN, he managed to outsmart the former TFG president and force him to resign. An election of a new president was required and he now was in a position to claim the top seat and become the leader of Somalia that all his supporters always knew he would be. But this was not some coincidence that came about as a result of some chance and circumstance. This was a well-planned, well-considered and cleverly executed coup. The man came with his very own members of parliament and his very own agenda (or was it someone else’s?).

In a very transparent and seemingly fair election and to the shock (and delight) of all his naive supporters, the man was elected as president! The naysayers pointed to the clear stitch up that took place there. They questioned the possibility of a man with his OWN 275 MPs losing an election where those MPS constituted half of those taking part in the vote! But the supporters shrugged all that aside again and went on about how fair this election was and how THIS was a great day for Somalia. The humble geography teacher, they told us, was not like his predecessor. He will get rid of foreign troops. He will return Somalia to the Somalis. He will reach out to all his opponents and include them in his government. He is a genuine man who means well and has Somalia’s interests at heart!

The man became president and the first thing that this humble, Armani-wearing geography teacher did was to visit Addis Ababa and have a photo opportunity with the man who, up to that moment, was supposed to be Somalia’s biggest enemy! He had no choice, his supporters shouted. He did not kowtow to the man; he went there because it was part of his job. Besides, this is a new era of leadership. Our humble geography teacher is reaching out to everyone, friends AND enemies.

His former comrades disagreed with him and rejected the path he chose. They accused him of being a traitor who went back on everything he formerly believed in. They vowed to continue the fight and never stop until the last foreign soldier was out of Somalia. The geography teacher found himself cornered. If he were to remain safe in the presidential palace, he had to make use of the foreign troops that were still in Somalia. He and his supporters explained this one away by saying that though such troops were indeed foreign, they were not the dreaded Ethiopians. These were Ugandans (and others). When did Uganda ever do us wrong? They asked!

The metamorphosing did not stop here. Now the geography teacher was happy to associate with Americans and others that he strongly opposed a mere two years previously. Now he was happy to request the assistance of the world in the form of more foreign troops and financial aid! Now he was comfortable with the idea of fighting his former comrades and wiping them out of the face of the earth. Now he was nonchalant about spitting out statements regarding terrorist outsiders and the plans they have for Somalia. Now he was ready to distinguish the difference between all Islamic groupings. Now he was, in words, actions and deeds a fully formed Abdullahi Yusuf!

Yet, his supporters still make excuses for him. They still shout about how innocent and genuine the man seems. They still argue that he has a plan and that his plan is one that is good for Somalia! They do not see the contradictions, never notice the doublespeak, refuse to acknowledge the worrying signs and totally brush aside all protests. To them, the publically scrutinised journey from being a humble geography teacher to becoming a fully-fledged clone of Abduallhi Yusuf does not exist. Like a mother of a mass murderer, they still see that innocent baby who brought her lots of laughs and love! They still look upon the man as a humble geography teacher.

And, maybe he IS. Maybe this is a simple man that stumbled his way into the presidency of Somalia. Maybe it is his faith and easy way that finally landed him this difficult job (despite all the obstacles and hurdles). Maybe he was used by all those foreigners he came in touch with (from the Eritrean despot all the way to the UN mastermind and all those in between). Maybe, maybe and maybe! But if that were true then there is a very good chance that things are going to go belly up in a very spectacular fashion (because the man would have no idea of what he is doing).

But, what if it isn’t. What if it is him who is canny, clever and calculating? What if it is he who has planned this all along? What if it is he who would discard all his principles and values for the sake of becoming the president of Somalia? Could his supporters still love him and view him as the same religious and humble geography teacher that they always thought he was?

Abdullahi Yusuf, Riyaale, Faroole and all other Somali politicians do not and did not pretend to be things they were not. With them, what you see is what you get. When you support them, you do so with your eyes widely open and you know where their shortcomings lie. It becomes a choice between supporting them in spite of these shortcomings or not supporting them because you cannot reconcile such shortcomings with your own principles and ethics! But how does one deal with humble geography teachers that contradict all these rules? And if one chooses to support such a man, how would one explain it? I have already shown you that his track record does not show him to be the humble and genuine man that his supporters keep trying to shove down our faces.

He is either an amateur that is being used and abused by foreigners or he is a ruthless politician that would use anything (including religion) to get power. The first case would (in a natural, rational and logical world) merely evoke cautious support for such an underdog. The second SHOULD induce total rejection and repugnance (nobody likes to be hoodwinked after all).

What I find strange here and what keeps me banging on about the shortcomings and obvious contradictions of the man IS the wild and crazy support he still has. Seemingly intelligent and rational people should not accord him such a cult like, unconditional and unrealistic support. It makes no sense at all.

------

Saf ii so wada gala..jaahlkaad teheen cuna..

His former comrades disagreed with him and rejected the path he chose. They accused him of being a traitor who went back on everything he formerly believed in. They vowed to continue the fight and never stop until the last foreign soldier was out of Somalia. The geography teacher found himself cornered. If he were to remain safe in the presidential palace, he had to make use of the foreign troops that were still in Somalia. He and his supporters explained this one away by saying that though such troops were indeed foreign, they were not the dreaded Ethiopians. These were Ugandans (and others). When did Uganda ever do us wrong? They asked!

The metamorphosing did not stop here. Now the geography teacher was happy to associate with Americans and others that he strongly opposed a mere two years previously. Now he was happy to request the assistance of the world in the form of more foreign troops and financial aid! Now he was comfortable with the idea of fighting his former comrades and wiping them out of the face of the earth. Now he was nonchalant about spitting out statements regarding terrorist outsiders and the plans they have for Somalia. Now he was ready to distinguish the difference between all Islamic groupings. Now he was, in words, actions and deeds a fully formed Abdullahi Yusuf!

Yet, his supporters still make excuses for him. They still shout about how innocent and genuine the man seems. They still argue that he has a plan and that his plan is one that is good for Somalia! They do not see the contradictions, never notice the doublespeak, refuse to acknowledge the worrying signs and totally brush aside all protests. To them, the publically scrutinised journey from being a humble geography teacher to becoming a fully-fledged clone of Abduallhi Yusuf does not exist. Like a mother of a mass murderer, they still see that innocent baby who brought her lots of laughs and love! They still look upon the man as a humble geography teacher.

that might be - but perspective and hindsight are wonderful things - might you think?

Also you forget that the man clearly said to his opponents - Came and talk to me - put your requests to me - had they done that and pledged allegiance to him - i am sure all their request would have been met - including kicking out foreign troops.

Now Ngonge answer me this - why aren't his opponents aren't talking to him - what is wrong with talking to someone and either agreeing or disagreeing with them.

he lost his chance the moment he decided to keep amisom after he took power and never set foot in islamist controlled areas.

he thought the support of the intl commiunity was good enough for him.

NGONGE   

Sayid,

This is not a defence of his opponents, saaxib. That his opponents are wrong is not even open to questioning. They refused to talk to the former TFG (when he was on their side) and they still refuse to talk to Sh. Sharif. Their crazy position has not changed. We know what they are and what madness they are capable of. Could you say the same about Sh. Sharif? Does his constant pragmatism (for lack of a politer word) give you an inkling of what he would do next?

This is about Sh. Sharif, saaxib. Don't try to turn it on its head and make it a trial of others. Our suspect here wears Armani not a cumaamad. What do you have to say in his defence (if any)?

NGONGE   

^^ Some people have the same wish for slightly more humanitarian reasons. Lets just hope it does end so that the people can get peace (of all kinds). icon_razz.gif

BiLaaL   

Originally posted by NGONGE:

The man became president and the first thing that this humble, Armani-wearing geography teacher did was to visit Addis Ababa and have a photo opportunity with the man who, up to that moment, was supposed to be Somalia’s biggest enemy!

This and like points in your thread are inconsequential.

The humble geography teacher, they told us, was not like his predecessor. He will get rid of foreign troops. He will return Somalia to the Somalis. He will reach out to all his opponents and include them in his government. He is a genuine man who means well and has Somalia’s interests at heart!

It doesn't happen too often but here's where I am in partial agreement with you (i doubt if we'll ever be in total agreement on anything). The parts I agree with include his reneging on removing foreign troops. This has led me to question his genuineness and indeed of whether he truly places the interests of ordinary Somalis at the heart of his policies.

As I've indicated in an earlier thread, his single biggest mistake to date is his insistence on keeping AMISOM troops in the country. Too many innocent Somalis have perished as a consequence of this misguided policy of his.

This doesn't excuse the reckless actions of the opposition groups - who have been responsible for most of the casualties amongst the civilians. One wonders though, how many innocent civilians would have been saved if Sharif heeded the 'Uluma council's call and asked AMISOM to leave?

NGONGE   

^^ Adigo you have no leg to stand on, saaxib. Remember our discussion on that Qutable Quotes thread? Are you now ready to support the TFG? What changed? ;)

BiLaaL   

Read the post in the thread that I referenced above. Ironically, you and I seem to be on the same page in that I don't support either side in this conflict. Whatever benefits the poor civilians caught in the middle is all i care about. Neither side cares much about the civilians - hence why I support neither.

BiLaaL   

^Mahasanid. Perhaps you should remember to put on your logical cap more often smile.gif

I have equal respect for some of the stances you take in this forum.

Juje   

Ngonge sxb Somalida waxay tirah 'nin meel uu cadahey meel ka madow' or something like that - since yesterday and over the last couple of months you have labelled President Sharif as an amateur, naive, traitor and any other negative aspect you can throw at him. Fair enough that is your perspective but however it is not fair on the Hon. Sheikh. There are many Solers marauding around as political analysts throwing dirt at the president though we know their reason does not expand more than the fact that it is purely bitterness. What puzzles me out of all the others is why Xaaji Raami. I know he is not an ex cabinet who lost position because of the new dimension , I also know he did not have a wager on another nor interest in any of the political saga in south of the border. I am also certain he is not a newly found Somali intellect who is on hire like the famous Samantar brothers. May be the real reasons will prevail at some stage in the near future and me among many others will be more surprised.

Ok, President went to Ethiopia he is a good friend of previous enemies like the CIA and so on. Thus he is a traitor or an amateur who is being used , or much worse he is a wicked politician who will kill his brother in law to get to the helm and stay there. So he is either of the three he can’t be all of them, certainly not.

As far as Ethiopians are concerned sxb Ngonge – they are not there and have left the country. Lets be clear on that . This mambo jambo that they are here and there and are present are used by only those who have no other reason but strive on the continuation of the current mayhem. And as I said sometime to you before sxb the primary condition the ARS under Sharif set to engage in a dialogue with the TFG was the timely unconditional and immediate withdrawal of the Ethiopians. And that happened beyond the believe of many , including me Juje. Thus give them that credit.

He went to see Zenawi the day after he was elected . So what ? Zenawi is the President of the next door neighbour who we share hatred above anything else and if he can bring that to an end good. But he did not go and see him – like he did not go and pay homage to Zenawi . President Sharif went to Addis for the AU meeting. However can President Sharif go and visit Zenawi if the need arises , YES HE CAN. For heavens sake he is the president of a nation but not the leader of a rag tag army of abu- hebel and abu-hebel..

AMISOM troops are present in Mogadishu and the President along with the rest of government set time for them to be withdrawn , while on the other hand the also met with the society in Mogadishu including elders, Islamic scholars, and many reputed figures who were among those who were opposed to the Djibouti agreement. The core of the meeting was find ways to bring the opposition on board and cease any more armed conflict in the capital and progress from there. If you remember Ngonge sxb during the early weeks when Villa Somalia was being shelled by those who claim to be ‘Soldiers of Allah’ yet their victims are none other than the pious people of Allah SWT. President Sharif ordered AMISOM troops not to retaliate in the assumption and hope of finding a breakthrough . Nothing prevailed, not even an inch of progress was made towards the opposition who had no valid reason against Sharif other than that he was an agent of the enemy. While he was there and asking them to join him in governance, to bring peace to this nation which has known nothing but devastation for many years. But their answer was different and deemed themselves to be righteous and others to be nothing but infidels, including you Ngonge, trust me sxb. Their principle was not that of interests of restoring this nation but making it the base and bunker for religion war against non-believers.

Ngonge sxb, President Sharif has offered peace after peace to those who oppose him and the establishment of Somali State, but their rejection was evident in the numerous assassination and assassination attempts made against his cabinet pr those who were aligned with him. He knows first hand the dangers facing the establishment of a Somali State whether now or even after him. He is adamant to fight them to their elimination and eradication of their ill conceived thoughts from the Somali society however much it takes and yes he will use any means of assistance and tools necessary. Whether you call him traitor , amateur , naïve or similar , at least he knows the dangers we are facing and has vowed to challenge them and a man of that character is far beyond than your description.

NB: You were complaining of Tube Strike yesterday - well sxb today we have a power problem I hope you will be hasty with your response.

Fabregas   

^^His point was not to prove ze presidente is a bad man or that the opposition is better. Rather he is saying that the man is acting like any other politician before him (and probably after him). Moroever, his words and actions are ridden with pure inconsistencies. However, his supporters will not accept criticism or hold him accountable like other politicians. It's a different rule for him and another for everyone else. One can't be a peace loving wadaad and then vow to destroy "extremists" in Somalia on Ethiopian media, right after you get picked. As Mobb Deep said: aint no such thing as a half way crook.

good post Abu Fowler. ;)

Sayid,

This is not a defence of his opponents, saaxib. That his opponents are wrong is not even open to questioning. They refused to talk to the former TFG (when he was on their side) and they still refuse to talk to Sh. Sharif. Their crazy position has not changed. We know what they are and what madness they are capable of. Could you say the same about Sh. Sharif? Does his constant pragmatism (for lack of a politer word) give you an inkling of what he would do next?

This is about Sh. Sharif, saaxib. Don't try to turn it on its head and make it a trial of others. Our suspect here wears Armani not a cumaamad. What do you have to say in his defence (if any)?

Ngonge - you said 'That his opponents are wrong is not even open to questioning'. consequently it would stand to reason that he is right since they can't be both wrong as they stand polar opposites on politics.

The minor mistakes and miscalculations are not the fault of his own but rather that of his teachers and advisors.

give him time and space and i am hopeful the man would come to his own in short time. i reserve my judgement on the end of his tenure. in the mean time i wish him success and victory, hopefully which will benefit the Somali peninsula.

my advice to all the naysayers is give the

man a chance.

NGONGE   

^^ Fabregas above is not as verbose as I usually tend to be. He has given it to you in a nutshell there!

Shame that you still argue the mistakes and miscalculations were not Sh. Sharif's! (do you see my point at all?).

As for giving him time and space, he's got it all saaxib. Our cyber rants will not remove him for villa Somalia. If he eventually sorts it out, good luck to him (and Somalia). But if he does not, I reserve the right to say I TOLD YOU SO. icon_razz.gif

ps

They can both be wrong. They are (so far).