Sign in to follow this  
wind.talker

Borama is an evil town

The Dark Side of Borame Town and its Residents

Three select English proverbs states, “Appearance is deceptive,†“Better to be envied than pitied†and “Desperate diseases must have desperate remedies.†And in the case of Borame Town and its residents, all these three proverbs fit them squarely or are applicable to them!!

Borame, the largest and most populous town in Awdal province has a dark side to its deceptive appearance and it is rather a place to be pitied than envied as it is plagued by a desperate disease that may cause serious societal problems if unchecked and remedied immediately. Despite its scenic location and good climate, there is a curse lurking around every bend of this small which may continue to haunt its residence till the Day of Judgement if not reversed soon. The residence of this town have long chosen evil over good and have deliberately transgressed the universal divine system of morals, ethics and laws and seem to be ripping the fruits of their colossal sins.

Nevertheless, if the residents of this town don’t come to their senses and repent and seek forgiveness and refuge from their creator, The Almighty God and quickly begin a process to right the wrongs and pains they have caused to their innocent ***** brethren whom they have unnecessarily massacred en masse, tortured, robbed, and impoverished during the period they supported and fought along side the tyrannical military regime of Dictator Siyad Barre, every living man, woman and child living presently as well as every child born to them thereafter will carry forward a curse which may eventually corrupt their souls, wreck havoc in the fabric of their society and probably precipitate an affliction of an enormous calamity to themselves in the near future. Therefore, it is in their interest as a people to seek forgiveness and repent now for Allah is Al Ghafur, The All-Forgiving.

It is common knowledge that during the liberation war of Somaliland, Borame town became the centre of looted ***** properties from Hargeisa city, Gabiley, Arabsiyo, and other adjacent townships. In addition, there is no doubt that the residents of Borame took the lion share of the loot and benefited immensely from the illegal or “Haaram†***** properties and wealth they stole from them. Worse still, these looted goods were openly sold in an open air markets in Borame streets and due to the magnitude of the loot, the town became the major distributing centre for Lowya Ado, Zeila, and the adjacent townships, where looted goods were also sold in the open streets. These illegal activities attracted the merchants of death in the region who came by the droves from as far as Dire Dawa, Harar, Jigjiga, and Djibouti to illegally benefit as well from the looted ***** properties and wealth.

I must admit though that whenever I see Borame even by a picture, I begin to wonder how much of illegal ***** properties and wealth are still in its buildings or wonder how many of those shimmering roofs, doors, and windows were among those looted from the beautiful residential and commercial buildings of Hargeisa and elsewhere or wonder what their Mullahs, Traditional Elders, politicians, and intellectuals think about all these evil deeds or wonder whether the fat men with big tummies and the beautiful ladies with huge bosoms were fattened by the looted ***** properties and wealth!!

However, the residents of Borame who are fond of calling themselves the so called “Awdalians†or “Awdalites†or “Intellectuals, a futile attempt to designate themselves as a distinct society and inhabitants of an autonomous region within Somaliland seem to be drowned by the evil of their deeds. It seems that the curse has slowly caught up with them as these residents seem to be permanently confused, dissatisfied, demoralized, suspicious of themselves as well as of others, and known to be still disloyal even though one of them occupies the presidency, the highest political seat in the land.

Apparently, the causes for their political and social turbulence have arisen from their lack of support of the good such as democracy, good governance and the rule of law, adherence to the constitution and the laws of the land, justice for all, progress, and development of the citizenry and the country in general and instead supporting the evil that emanates from their continued support of dictatorial systems and leaders particularly for their adamant support of Mr. Dahir Riyaale Kahin and his cohorts who are clearly presiding over an inept and corrupt system that systematically represses the citizenry, commits gross injustices at all segments of the society, grossly violates the human rights, constantly suppresses the freedoms of the press, forcefully suppresses the of freedom of speech, arbitrarily arrests and unlawfully detains the citizenry, perpetuates an endemic corruption, practices nepotism, and tirelessly works to retard all kinds of development thereby dampening the spirit of the citizenry and weakening the country politically, economically and socially to its avowed enemies.

As a result, it is obvious that there is a dark side to Borame Town and its residents and a curse may have slowly creped into their veins and already circulating in their blood and probably disturbing their emotions and mental wellbeing. Therefore, the appearance of Borame is truly deceptive and the town and its residence are better pitied than envied as they seem to have been plagued by a desperate disease that surely may require desperate remedies in order to avert the looming catastrophe in this World and in the Hereafter. For these reason, it is in the interest of the so called “Awdalians†or “Awdalites†or “Intellectuals†to seriously turn inward and do some soul searching in an honest and Islamic manner and to return some of the looted ***** properties and wealth, seek a forgiveness them, and to repent to Allah, the creator of this universe and all that is therein.

Farah Ali Jama

Ottawa, Canada.

fjama022@uottawa.ca

http://www.awdalnews.com/wmview.php?ArtID=5400

Sweeping generalization is the habit of the fickle people. A known fact that I needless repeat, I must say. But why would logical wind. talker post such a nonsensical article and bother to even share it with us, I wonder? Could it be that he purposefully put it up for discussion to extract some wisdom from our fellow Boramians?

SOO MAAL   

This clannish author making too much lies, Borame people are most peaceful and educated people among all Somalis

In reality, if there is peaceful town in Somalia, it is Borame

And the title should be "Borame the peaceful city"

Haddad   

Originally posted by SOO MAAL:

Borame people are most peaceful

I have two Borame friends, and share with you the above observation. This article doesn't make a sense. It's too Medieval, as it talks about a curse may have slowly creped into their veins and already circulating in their blood and probably disturbing their emotions and mental wellbeing.

Johnny B   

From what i understand ( i don´t understand much),this article is written by an angery "Hargeisawi" barber who misses some "jiingad".

If both the city n the chicks are beautiful then there can NEVER be a curse, some ugly "Adhiile"(s)are acceptable too.

but this Hargeisawi barber has a point.

Ask a "Boramawi" to take bus nr 24 to your place and he´ll take bus nr 12 TWICE ,JUST to show off with his math skills.

All that in the myth of them beein intelligent. icon_razz.gif

Originally posted by xiinfaniin:

But why would logical
wind. talker
post such a nonsensical article and bother to even share it with us

SXB, you raise an interesting question. I posted this article for one reason: to make sure people notice the change of tone diehard SNM supporters have undergone in light of the Awdal News Network editorial entitled "SNM is Balance: The Need for a Truth and Reconcilliation Committee in Somaliland." Since that editorial, many pro-Somaliland cyber elements have drastically changed their political tone from one who's attacks were based outside the borders of the former British Protectorate to one who's enemies are increasingly from within. I ask myself: why would a true Somalilander write such garbage against a Somali region inhabited by his fellow compatriots? Its because the ANN folks dared to challenge the accepted norm of the SNM - that of a liberation movement that freed their land and people from the tyrannical rule of a Southern general. How dare ANN challenge this view, they intone. As if the SNM's history is written in sacred text!

To make matters worse, there are several other pieces published by diehard SNM fans that downplay the signficance of the SNM's alleged atrocities against innocent non-SNM clan victims during their self-styled 'war of liberation.' (These cyber analysts are also beginning to sound like GW Bush's speechwriters with an overuse of the terms 'democracy' and 'liberation').

And the author of this piece is a regular political commentator who's angered by the Riyaale regime's failures - and ANN's stance - and so he decries everything and everyone from Boorame (symbolic for a certain Somali subclan) and labels it 'evil.' What effect does such language have - other than to breed intolerance and deepen the rift between SNM folk and Reer Boorame? Yet, you'll be surprised how many folks agree with his thesis.

LANDER   

:D ^Right.

You care about reer borama so deeply you felt obliged to point out the real enemy, is that what can be drawn from this gibberish?

love it when people try to reason their way out of musuq masaaq . Perhaps you speak very prematurely with very little knowledge of the region in question, and maybe the obvious has to be pointed out to you but we'll give it a shot nonetheless, very briefly and plainly so you don't misunderstand. The people who reside in Awdal or the "Awdalians" if you must, and those who live in close proximity in such towns as gabiley, arabsiyo, agabar etc...share historical and cultural ties that are deep rooted. Inter-marriage is very common, historical tribal rivalries are common place, feuding... etc were also common. The very same people who had a dispute yesterday, can be the best of neighbors today and be in conflict again tomorrow. In the end however, unless one is blinded by hatred, most of these people (irrespective of tribal affiliation) realize that their destinies are intertwined. No amount of outsider meddling could really change the reality of a said group vis-à-vis their immediate neighbors and the brotherly existence that they share (at times literal, and at others symbolic or political).

Since that editorial, many pro-Somaliland cyber elements have drastically changed their political tone...

In response to the above article, let's see what one of the "villainous cyber elements", (otherwise considered one of the most respected) has to say shall we:

Ali Gulaid — San Jose, CA — 12 May, 2005

Maligning a City/Region/Clan is Offensive and Unacceptable

Unfortunately, on the advent of the burgeoning websites, we wake up every morning with headlines unfairly mauling someone. That we have become accustomed to but what is new is maligning the residents of whole city, region or even a clan. This is deplorable, unacceptable and this culture of “dhalaxda-soo-qaad†should stop. May be to some it is entertaining and gossipy and may be to others it is a fair game but to the majority of you out there, I am sure it is out right offensive and objectionable. Such everything-goes unsubstantiated mischaracterization demeans none but those who claim its ownership.

Few weeks ago, some one bad-mouthed a reputable Somalilander in a manner that goes against the grains of our culture and tradition and for whatever it was worth, I objected fiercely the unrestrained unwarranted personal accusation by posting my few cents worth then and I now object to this unprecedented accusation whereby the prolific Mr. Farah Ali Jama unfairly maligned a whole city in his article, “The dark side of Borama town & its residentsâ€. I know Farah through his writings and I am disappointed.

The Awdal region is rich in culture, history, religious and other legendary leaders and a civilization that goes back centuries that we all ought to be proud of but the moral point is, no region or a clan does deserve to be called derogatory names. That is unbecoming. In my view, the word “****** †characterizes the actions of individuals who belong to every region/clan but to divide the country between the “****** †and the “non-****** †is simplistic, inflammatory, and unfair and down irresponsible. Not condemning matters as OFFENSIVE as this can be construed as approval and I for one voice my objection. I say no to that path and yes to bashing Ali Gulaid and Rayaale.

http://www.somaliland.org/opinions.asp?ID=05051210

Generalising an entire city is not a smart thing to do if you want to be taken seriously. Like someone said above, Borame is probably one of the most peaceful cities in somalia/somaliland and has the most hospitable residents in the region.

This article lacks any semblance of sensibility or sanity. Seems like the ranting of a mad-lunatic deluded by unfounded and personal anger. I wouldn’t even dignify this with a response. This crap belongs in the bin.

[Edit] This is what some1 wrote in response to this in AwdalNews

Provocative writers like Farah Jama who has seen himself crème de la crème but is known to be loquacious and adept at manipulating clan doctrine and pander his peers, raising this SNM issue - especially by Awdalnews, has coaxed into making him to show his true colors; a sample of how ‘RED’ Farah is can be viewed from his article on Halgennews in which he implicitly made a plea to his peers ‘Isaaqs’ to take up arms and fight against other brotherly clans in Somaliland – a despicable act and an archetypal of a distorted mind and made him an anathema to the Somaliland intellectuals. His candor with which he could have acknowledged this committed atrocity in the name of SNM could have at least write off one of his recited catalog of offenses - nonchalant attitude to the plight of other Somalilanders. His long and trite articles usually carry no commendable ideas or contribution of any good to our country but instead his writings are devoted to catering clannism rather than Somalilandism that usually recompenses his nadir cogitation about mutual understanding. You cannot ruse us so please stop eviscerating Somaliland

Ditto.

NGONGE   

Mr. Jama A. Farah has always written such senseless drivel. The difference is that today, it was about Borama! Need I repeat my argument about the Somali attitude?

Wind talker, what site did you get this article from? What foolish editor allowed such claptrap to be posted to the masses?

Again, I despair. :confused:

ADNAAN   

The intentions of this article are crystal clear, it’s just a naïve attempt to inflame hatred among the peacefully coexisting people of s/land. Foolishly this writer underestimates the bond b/w the hargeisawis and the awdalian communities. There centuries long intermarriage is so extensive that you don’t need to look very far, the ANN editor Bashir Goth* and the two samatar brothers** who are hailed from awdal are of hargeysawi maternal side and many more. On the other side all it takes is to pay a quick visit to Gabiley (a town just outside Hargeisa) to see the miracles of intermarriage in action.

As for the looting of Hargeisa, it was the responsibility of the then Somali National Army who were from all parts of former Somalia. Logically one can make a rough estimate as to the numbers of the participating soldiers from awdal which was miniscule by all scales, mind you that some of those looters where of hargeisawi origin who collaborated with Afweyne.

I reckon if this Faarax gives it a serious thought after seeing the outpouring condemnations of his unwarranted crap which is based on gossip rather then solid facts, he will retract these baseless accusation and sweeping generalisations.

The only reason I responded to farax or faraax is to let others know that the majority of hargeisawis and s/landers for that matter do disagree with this guy.

Isn’t Farah a woman's name? :confused:

* ANN = ironically it’s the exact website that Farah posted his venomous article on.

Samatr Brothers = University lecturers in America.

LANDER -

I'm not sure why you're attacking me, sxb. I merely posted an article published on a pro-Somaliland website so that people can see the dialogue that has overtaken the Somaliland websites in the post "SNM in Balance" period. I know I posted it out of musuq-musuqnimo, but I'm always interested in seeing the various degrees of reactions from folks such as yourself. Everyone else responded pretty much along the same lines, immediately disassociating themselves from the writer. But LANDER sxb, you're attempt to kill the messenger (wind.talker) didn't even faze the message. As long as some Somalilanders believe 'Somaliland' is the exclusive Republic of a certain Somali clan, the process forward will forever remain stagnant and unproductive - and moisten the seeds of mistrust amongst the compatriots, neighbors, xidid , and socio-political bedfellows that make up the ideal national mosaic that is (some say once was) Somaliland.

NGONGE -

The opinion is published on Awdal News Network website @ http://www.awdalnews.com/wmview.php?ArtID=5400

ANN has seen its viewer volume exponentially grow in the post "SNM in Balance" period, so they continue to publish controversial articles and opinions to maintain their clientelle. Yellow journalism at its peak, no?