Sign in to follow this  
Gabbal

Somali doctor's fulfilling their role?

Bakar   

Qorshel,

I am just in a quest for historical lessons, though i find it very disoppointing. But i am very optimistic that they'll help me gain some understanding in regards to the topic.

Bakar   

Maakhir says:

dadkan kale ee digil iyo mirifle, magacooda goormaa la aasaasey? waa dad isu tegey horta .

The Digil-Rahawiin People (Maay-Speaking) of Somalia

Location: The Maay-speaking peoples are found primarily in the Lower Jubba Valley of central Somalia, between the Shabeelle and Jubba Rivers and south of the Jubba River. These are primarily the Digil and Rahawiin peoples. Because their language is called Maay, they are sometimes called the Maay people. Many of the Gosha people also speak Maay language. Since the civil war and aid efforts, Baidhowa is a well-known town of the Digil-Rahawiin. Ajuuran speakers of Northern Somali live to the southwest of the Digil-Rahawiin. However, many different clans and tribes are interspersed in the inter-River area (between the Shabeelle and Jubba Rivers), and to the southwest of the Jubba.

History: The Maay speakers (basically Digil and Rahawiin), along with the Jiddu and Tunni (two related peoples speaking languages previously classified as dialects of Maay), are descendants of the earliest wave of Somaloid peoples and also the most southern. Firm evidence for the history of the Somali people dates back to only about 1000 AD (Ahmed, Ali Jimale, Ed. The Invention of Somalia (New Jersey, U.S.A.: The Red Sea Press, Inc. 1995) p. 233-256.) Linguistic, cultural and historical evidence indicates they came originally from the southern highlands of what is now Ethiopia. The Somali are from the same broad group of early Cushitic peoples from which the Rendille came. The Somali-Rendille are one broad group with similar language and culture.

This Maay-speaking group came in contact with the northern Bantu peoples the on the coast from Mogadishu south and inland and were an initial cause of migration back south of the Swahili and related peoples. Later the Digil and Rahawiin themselves suffered incursions from northern Somalis and then Oromos, the latter from about 1500. They maintained trading relations with the Arabs, Persians and remaining Swahilis on the coast, though preserving their nomadic cattle herding. There were clashes with the Italians in the colonial period from the late 19th century.

Identity: The Digil and Rahawiin are two of the clan federations of the Somali peoples. The Somalis are not a unitary people group, but a grouping of broad clan federation divided by language and by clan conflicts. The Somali group of peoples and languages is very complex and confusing. Many segments of the same clans speak several languages, so clan and language profiles don’t match easily.

The Somali group of the Somali-Rendille languages of the Eastern Cushite group includes dozens of clans and sub-clans and separate tribes not in the Somali clan system, and numerous languages, some of which are Garre, Garre-Ajuuraan, Somali, Jiddu, Maay and Borana. Some clans and individuals are bilingual. Language and clan affiliations are maintained separately. The Digil-Rahawiin speak various dialects of what is known as the Maay language. The Jiddu, whose speech is classed as a separate language, are closely related to the Digil and Rahawiin. The Tunni also are an allied clan whose language was previously classified as a Maay dialect and has now been classified as a separate language.

Many Gosha peoples also speak Maay, while some Gosha speak Garre (an Oromo language). The Gosha are a mixed group of peoples living in the Lower Jubba Valley, mostly descendants from former Bantu slaves. There are about 2,400 Gosha speaking Maay on the Kenya side of the border. About 20,000 Garre in Kenya also speak Maay. The Leysaan clan of the Somalis also speak Maay and are allied with the Digil-Rahawiin, as is the Daraawe division of the Garre clan.

Language: The Maay language is a member of the Eastern Cushite family of languages. Until about 1992, all the Somali family of peoples were listed as one group. More information on the languages led to a reclassification of Maay, Tunni and Jiddu as three separate languages, distinct from Somali. These southern languages retain more of the proto-Somali-Rendille language characteristics than does Northern Somali. The Digil federation clan of Debarre in the Dhiinsoor district speak a very distinctive language called Dabarre. All these peoples, however, speak Maay as a second language.

Maay is a language, not a people name. The main speakers of Maay dialects are the Digil and Rahanwiin (Rahawiin or Reewiin) clans of the Somali people. Many of these peoples also speak "standard" Somali, since that is the language used in broadcasts and most publications. The Somali Bible is in standard (Northern) Somali. There is no Bible or any other publication in Maay.

Political Situation: Digil and Rahawiin were affected in their social and political character by the Italian colonial administration. There were some violent conflicts as the Italians tried to tighten their control. After the unification of British Somaliland (north) and Italian Somaliland (south), the Digil-Rahawiin were disadvantaged in the leadership positions of the new Somalia. Somali peoples had never before been in any unified political structure. The British had developed a strong infrastructure and educational system, whereas the Italians had done more exploitation than development. The Digil-Rahawiin and allied clans have felt oppressed by the political and military domination of the Northern clans. In the anarchy after the death of Said Barre, the Rahawiin Resistance Army (RRA) has fought a guerrilla war against Farah Aideed.

Ahmed Farkeeto

PS. this is a abridged work of farkeetro.

Gabbal   

Bakar, I do not mean to sound haughty, but you have failed to understand the meaning of my latter posts and as such, I decline to continue this debate of sorts any longer. You are submersing the topic into the hypotheticss, while I am looking at the reality of things. I might sound biased toward one side, but you make it up with a strong bias on yours. We are equal in that regard. smile.gif

One of the most important sentences you have failed to decipher is the one sentence that explains why Ceel-Waaq has become a war-zone:

... [The Ceel-Waaq problem] also has much to do with current Somali parliamentary dictations and the value of having cradible
deegaan
in the
Somali Republic
to be included
permenantly
in the future convening of the Somali parliament
-transitional era. So you can therefore understand the almost fanatical claim to Ceel-Waaq coming from the group who has deegaan in and around Mooyaale and Nageyle.

MAAKHIR-

Like British Jubaland (From Kismayo to Liboi) was proposed to be given to Kenya but SYL fought hard to retain this part of our land.

Not accurate sxb smile.gif . SYL was not an organization during the time the British seceded control (however nominal it was) over Jubbland to the Italians. Jubbaland was seceded by the British to the Italians in 1924, because of 1.) the Awl-yahan unrest combined with Ugaas Maxamuud Qhalib Dhoore's resistence to British rule and 2.) to reward Italy for joining the allies during WWI. The Italians then named it a seperate colony called Oltre Giuba, before combining it a decade and some later with Italian Somaliland in 1936. The Italians combined the seperate colony with Italian Somaliland, because Jubbaland itself acounted for 70% of the economic revenues they gained from their colonies in east Africa.

The present-day Jubbaland that is being groomed to become a maamul-goboleed has exactly the same borders, albeit a little bigger.

This is a stamp issued for Jubbaland when it was a seperate colony.

giuba.jpg

Xudeedi   

Thnx for the correction. Let's preserve the history. I hope the administration of Jubaland be implemented. We really need another autonomous region to bolster Puntland's sphere of influence, looking at the very far picture and the rival competition that sees an opportunity in our conflict of interest.

Jubaland has abundant resources, seperate colony and history and i think if simple calculation attends the decision to placate the local clans through power sharing and fair system, Jubaland has a bright outlook and potential to compete with Puntland and Somaliland. It even has a competitive edge over both of these unrecognized states because of its unmatched natural resources, and port.

Bakar   

Originally posted by Maakhir:

Let's preserve the history. I hope the administration of Jubaland be implemented. We really need another autonomous region to bolster Puntland's sphere of influence, looking at the very far picture and the rival competition that sees an opportunity in our conflict of interest.

The word conspiracy, as it relates to your dormant ambition, fits in the context of above quotation: to act in harmony toward our common end, which is expansion and control of land through the extinction of the original inhabitant. Hence this is the sole purpose of building Jubaland administration. This is exactly what I call Jewish conspiracy. I never once expected a muslim person harbour this kind of troubling thought in his/her mind.

Again it is immensely essential to employ a holistic approach when one conducts historical, social and political research of the subject of his study. Because the narration he/she leaves us can be very comprehensive, and whenever it is subjected to scrutiny, at leas it paves the way for subsequent investigation. But when we take a hasty glance at past, we became politically and historically stagnant; most of all there arise a social and political crises. For instance most Nomads in this thread fail to present historical facts that transcend colonial period, and, strangely enough, their historical claim has never been documented, except that of which became known to us by European colonies.

Sky   

Originally posted by HornAfrique:

Maakhir, sxb expect a president to be named any moment now.

That's interesting considering there is no charter, no parliament and no expensive Grand Shir between ALL parties to complete the state-building process. Mise waxaad ka waday madaxweyne ku sheegga to be named as soon as possible, before C/Y comes and Reer Gedo are left to bite the dust.

Originally posted by Bakar:

The word conspiracy, as it relates to your dormant ambition, fits in the context of above quotation: to act in harmony toward our common end, which is expansion and control of land through the extinction of the
original inhabitant
. Hence this is the sole purpose of building Jubaland administration.

Interesting. Precisely, who is the original inhabitant? And, if the original inhabitant can't self-govern, doesn't he automatically invite foreigners - and I use the term loosely here - to govern him?

Originally posted by HornAfrique:

expect a president to be named any moment now.

*clears throat* Drum roll please...And the winner is Colonel B.A.S.H. *clap* *clap* *clap* ;)

Gabbal   

Mise waxaad ka waday madaxweyne ku sheegga to be named as soon as possible, before C/Y comes and Reer Gedo are left to bite the dust.

Exchanging discussions with you Sky, as is the case with Duke, always seems to leave one with the notion that either we are on Politics for Dummies or you are on it.

WIND-

What!? Two Puntlanders in a row urged to participate in this thread just because of one of my innocent sentences? :D Jubbaland markii la gaadhay, high friction miyaa meesha ka bilawmatay? War waa kula kaftamayaa, but a president will be named soon.

*clears throat* Drum roll please...And the winner is Colonel B.A.S.H. *clap* *clap* *clap* [Wink]

And no, the president will not be the infamous colonel. icon_razz.gif More like Dr. Maxamed Xaashi Cigaal, who has been in Kismaayo for the last year building the state apparatus. Even men such us Sultan Sokor, Col. Cabdi Mahdi, and Minister Tarax have given him their support.

Exchanging discussions with you Sky, as is the case with Duke, always seems to leave one with the notion that either we are on Politics for Dummies or you are on it.

That is cold man. :D

Anyway somalis mis-use the word occupying way too much. How can someone occupy a land he was born in, his father and mother were born in and even great grandparents were born in and raised. Original inhabitants kulahaa. People move around a lot and places change hands over time so some people better get used to it. As pastorialists, we moved from one place to another, sometimes going as far as the deep interior of ethiopia and kenya.

Bakar   

Salaam Wind_talker

You said:

Interesting. Precisely, who is the original inhabitant? And, if the original inhabitant can't self-govern, doesn't he automatically invite foreigners - and I use the term loosely here - to govern him?

Saxiib, There are historically-proven source which predates those that came known to us through colonial period. If you make a little effort, you will discover that what was presented here holds no certitude. Please read the article posted by MMA in the Dood Wadaag thread, though irrelevant to this topic, you will find some answers to your question.

Gabbal   

Saxiib, There are historically-proven source which predates those that came known to us through colonial period.

This is quit ridiculous now! :D If we were to reconfigure Somalis into original lands that predate colonialism, the headache would be greater then trying to reconfigure post-colonial Africa into tribal, ethnic boundaries. smile.gif

The first stance was that the land was stolen "post-colonialism" in 69 and 91. That was refuted by the history recorded by impartial colonialists, so now the stance is "pre-colonialism" and individuals wishing us to believe the history recorded by their side is more accurate then the other side. How are you any more different in that regard then say, HornAfrique, who unflinchingly supports his claim :confused:

If we keep going back to the "pre", we will have no choice but to concede all the Somali lands to the Oromo nation of Ethiopia. I mean, of course, the Somali race begun in the northernmost areas of the peninsula and gradually expanded southward, conquering land from the Oromos and Somalizing any that chose to live there. smile.gif

A hundred years is much more then enough time to call a land yours, especially in a society that is overwhelmingly pastoral and nomadic. smile.gif

Bakar   

HOnAfrique says:

This is quit ridiculous now! If we were to re configure Somalis into original lands that predate colonialism, the headache would be greater then trying to reconfigure post-colonial Africa into tribal, ethnic boundaries.

According to you, everything is ridicules so long it provokes our half awakened intelligence. The assumption you have is, there are unsuspected minds who are easily pliable to absorb unsubstantiated claim. I have said again and again, don’t underestimate SOL youngsters’ ability to decipher your version of Somali history.

This is how your tribilistic version interprates history:

Second, Ugaas Maxamuud Qhalib Dhoore will always have a respectable claim to Gedo history. He was essentially the main reason why the British government seceded Jubbaland to the Italians. Treaty, after Treaty did they bestow upon him, all sent back to them ripped in pieces. The British could not manage to enter his territories without suffereing dire repercussions, and as a result they called him the Mad Mullah's Half. Here is a short story about the legendary Ugaas:

Whose version of history is this?

You Said

The first stance was that the land was stolen "post-colonialism" in 69 and 91. That was refuted by the history recorded by impartial colonialists, so now the stance is "pre-colonialism" and individuals wishing us to believe the history recorded by their side is more accurate then the other side. How are you any more different in that regard then say, HornAfrique, who unflinchingly supports his claim

I am not dismissing the history of massive migration to Bardheere, Luuq Ganaane…. It is true that there was no such thing as gobolka gedo; it was part of what was then called Alta Juba. It is incontrovertible fact that Bare’ tribe forcefully deprived D&M of their land. If you missed gist of all this, I am contesting the claim made by reer cabuud waaq and gal gaduud to the aformationed lands. Saxib, I ahve all the facts you need, alas it will fall into deaf ears.

Salaama

I have said again and again, don’t underestimate SOL youngsters’ ability to decipher your version of Somali history.

SOL youngsters? Meaning horn is a old guy :D;)

Walal which "reer cabudwaaq" is claiming Gedo?