Sign in to follow this  
Juje

The First Youngest President ever For Somalia

Masha'allah. Good choice, our somali Obama! I am currently listening his victory speech. Allaha la garab galo.

Juje, how old is he by the way?

Juje   

Originally posted by Allamagan:

Juje, how old is he by the way?

2009130104815986580_8.jpg

Sheikh Sharif Sheikh Ahmed, 44, won a majority of the votes when the Somali parliament elected a new president on January 31.

He is the former leader of Somalia's ousted Islamic Courts Union, which waged a bitter war against the country's weak transitional government.

In late 2006, he was forced to flee the country amid an Ethiopian invasion supporting the government.

Ahmed currently chairs a group of opposition leaders called the Alliance for the Re-liberation of Somalia (ARS) and is an influential religious leader in the country.

Considered a "moderate" Muslim, he was born in the Mahaday district, about 100km north of Mogadishu in 1964.

After attending Islamic schools in Somalia, he went on to study in Sudan and Libya during the 1990s before becoming a geography teacher in a Mogadishu secondary school.

He has said it was the kidnapping of a young student for ransom that drove him to set up an Islamic sharia court to rid the capital of banditry.

He has led the Islamic Courts since July 2004. The organisation drew together more than a dozen sharia tribunals set up in the 1990s to restore a degree of law and order to the capital Mogadishu.

Islamic courts rule

By the summer of 2006, the Islamic courts had managed to unify Mogadishu, and under Ahmed's leadership, the Islamic Courts and the allied al-Shabab armed group gained control of most of southern Somalia.

In its six months of rule, the movement was credited with bringing peace and stability to the region for the first time in 15 years, but was also criticised for strict religious practices.

Seeing the movement as a threat to both itself and the UN-backed transitional Somali government, Ethiopia entered its Horn of Africa neighbour in December 2006, forcing out the Islamic Courts.

Ahmed surrendered to Kenyan authorities on the border in January 2007, although he was released days later.

He returned to Somalia last November under UN-sponsored peace agreements with the transitional government signed in Djibouti in July and October 2008.

Presidential bid

Under those deals, Ethiopian forces have pulled out of the country - a situation Sheikh Ahmed has claimed credit for.

Seats in the Somali parliament were also doubled to 550 in order to accommodate 200 members of Ahmed's group, as well as 75 other opposition figures.

Ahmed was banking on that, and support from his numerically-strong Abgal clan of northern Mogadishu to win him the presidency.

"My first priority is to bring peace to Somalia and I will serve the nation to the best of my ability," he has said of himself.

Sharif Hassan Sheikh Aden, former speaker of the Somali parliament, has also backed his candidacy, saying Ahmed "is one of the most prominent figures in Somalia".

"Sheikh Sharif is the best choice to overcome the current crisis," he said.

Al-Shabab, Ahmed's former allies, have rejected the Djibouti peace deals, and are expected to fight against Ahmed when he takes office.

call me naive...but this guy has alot of secret bags that stings to hi heaven.

1- what happened when he was locked up in Nairobi

the cia interviewed and released so fast. Is he a spy now? most probably. a wanned man released just like that...hmm! since that day, he was singing a different tone.

2- He betrayed his former group by showing up in keneya. that shows hes fuleey...and u cant trust a fuleey. why is he the only one who did this?

3- now all of sudden hes the sweet-heart of westerners to become the leader...while a yr ago they wanned to kill him... dont make no sense.

4- hes now pimped up as a clan leader since hes counting on his clan in xamar to help achieve his dreams... deja vous.. wc to warlordism.

my prediction...tuff n ruff shabaabs will toast him to high heaven!!

NASSIR   

I heard a rumor that when Sheriff, Aweis and their circles were fleeing in the swamped mangroves and jungles of Jubooyinka, somehow they were precisely air striked for a number of times. Then one of the armed men known for his bravery and honesty got suspicious and ordered the men to drop all their cell phones on a white rectangular piece of cloth. Upon hearing the roar and urgency, sheriff retreated with his cell and disappeared all of a sudden. So he hitched a small pick-up truck headed to Afmadow district and asked the strange driver to transport him to Wajeer, Kenya promising him driver a huge amount of rent money. He made it to the place and surrendered himself to the Kenyan law enforcement and was soon transfered to a secret area in Nairobi where he met CIA officers. His opponents allege that was the time that exposed Sheriff's deal with the secret agents.

Credible story there but I refuse to believe its veracity or truthfullness; there's definately something fishy about the new selected President.

Well. Congratulations to Sheekh Sherif. A real change from the warlord and failed politicians.

The good Sheekh has talked the talk so far. We need to see how he walks the walk. As they say, with Power comes responsibilities.

My two cent advice, choose your new Prime Minster carefully as it is your first test. When choosing, have "Banadir issue" in your mind - and choose someone that will help you in bringing about peace to that warravaged region of yours. But if you think about bringing peace to Somalia as a whole, you are only fooling yourself. Ha lagugu xasuusto as the man that brought peace to Mogadishu instead of as the man who tried to bring peace to Somalia and failed.

Good luck Good Sheekh.

Originally posted by Koora-Dadab:

I heard a rumor that when Sheriff, Aweis and their circles were fleeing in the swamped mangroves and jungles of Jubooyinka, somehow they were precisely air striked for a number of times. Then one of the armed men known for his bravery and honesty got suspicious and ordered the men to drop all their cell phones on a white rectangular piece of cloth. Upon hearing the roar and urgency, sheriff retreated with his cell and disappeared all of a sudden. So he hitched a small pick-up truck headed to Afmadow district and asked the strange driver to transport him to Wajeer, Kenya promising him driver a huge amount of rent money. He made it to the place and surrendered himself to the Kenyan law enforcement and was soon transfered to a secret area in Nairobi where he met CIA officers. His opponents allege that was the time that exposed Sheriff's deal with the secret agents.

Credible story there but I refuse to believe its veracity or truthfullness; there's definately something fishy about the new selected President.

4 sure...he was weired!! lool.

Kamaavi   

It is in vain, sir, to extenuate the matter. Gentlemen may cry, peace, peace -- but there is no peace. The war is actually begun!

Emperor   

Waar hadaan hurdo kasoo kacayee, soo Sheikh Shariif mabadinna? Waa wax la ogaa weeye, Somalidu waxay kumaah-maahdaa, War laqabaa Xiiso maleh

Congrats to President Ahmed, now lets drop the Sheikh Shariif bit of the name, that would look like a fake President, only President Ahmed will do...

I hope the new President succeeds in the hard task aheads of him and finally peace to prevail in my homeland.... Let's all pray Insha'alah.

Abwaan   

Lool...rudy let me just try to debate against your points here and show you things on a different angle.

Originally posted by rudy-Diiriye:

1- what happened when he was locked up in Nairobi

the cia interviewed and released so fast. Is he a spy now? most probably. a wanned man released just like that...hmm! since that day, he was singing a different tone.

Did you listen to the interview that he then gave Aljazeera? Which was to continue fighting against the Ethiopians even though he faced arrest and being shipped to Camp Delta.....yes he was released but where did he go to? A holiday trip to Rio De Janeiro? nah...he went to Eriteria and he was elected to lead the RSA.

2- He betrayed his former group by showing up in keneya. that shows hes fuleey...and u cant trust a fuleey. why is he the only one who did this?

Yes he went to Kenya but his Coalleages also went to Asmara...and Yemen why is he different. According to someone who talked to Sh Sharif about his journey from South Somalia to Asmara who I personally met, his journey was nothing like you mentioned.

3- now all of sudden hes the sweet-heart of westerners to become the leader...while a yr ago they wanned to kill him... dont make no sense.

4- hes now pimped up as a clan leader since hes counting on his clan in xamar to help achieve his dreams... deja vous.. wc to warlordism.

lol...The guy is elected as the president of Somalia not Xamar...so why should he only rely on Xamar...is Xamar the only Somalia that exists and all the other places are just tuulooyin...?

bro rudy I don't beleive that Sh Sharif is perfect and I don't think that he has the solutions for all Somali problems but atleast we did not see someone with similar age, personality, intelect, speech, education and manner in the Somali Political arena or I should say the top job for some time.

By the way I myself am concerned on his experience and decision-making.