Sign in to follow this  
QUANTUM LEAP

Somali Governement In waiting seems to be having ahard time.

This pretty strange not only to us as Somalis but to the rest of the world where any it is said that once ademocratic government is elected it should be based at home rather than in hotels in atotally different country. Strangely enough there is talk of it moving now to Egypt. What is going on here?

Nomadic Government without ahome.

OG_Girl   

hehehe, they don't dare to back home cause what their hands done. Their hands full of poor people's blood. they scare even from their shadows..lol

Salam

Nonsence, the government shoud not rush to going any where and should take its time.

As for the media well they like to portray the government as one in exile. But its coming just wait a bit.. :D

Disagree with you there Smith and I wont say that what you said is nonsense either. However, a government in waiting shouldnt be seen as a government in exile. What is it that is keeping it away from its own base? Now why would they move to another country when they should be going back to lands that it should be governing?

Brother who said the government was moving to another country?

From what I heard the issue is to eaither go to Badoa temporarely or stright to the capital Mogadiahu. A number of MP's have gone back as the first wave, one is going through Puntland as we speak several have gone to Badoa and Mogadishu and at leat four are in Kismayu and Juba.

I dont see anything that hinders the government apart from the steps to take, Badoa or Mogadishu etc.

Bro Smith this is just ascenario that is just being milled around and if you read the article, it looks like the timetable is not certain.

As the reconstruction of Somalia continues to receive less enthusiasm from the international community compared with Sudan, it is emerging that some members of the Inter-Governmental Authority on Development (Igad) - under whose auspices the Somali National Reconciliation Council was held - are thinking of contingency plans, should the international community take too long in facilitating the relocation.

One such plan, which is yet to be fully developed, is the possible shift of the interim government from Kenya to another country with fewer Somali nationals, but with historical and cultural links with Somalia. Egypt is emerging as an ideal country where the new government can work on its programme without undue influence and direct repercussions from what is happening in Somalia, though sources close to Igad maintained that this would only be an option once it becomes clear that the international community will take longer than expected to lay the framework for a smooth relocation.

The Gov't. in waiting seems to be waiting for help from outside than from within. A few people going back to Baidao doesnt suggest anything is happening unless the elected president and his entourage have to really go and take whatever backlashes that they are certain to receive and maybe arrange their own security temporarily rather than expect it from outsiders.

This looks like it wont be very different from Cabdi Qassims period where instead of doing something, he decided to chill and fly to different countries for favours instead of showing his countrymen how determined he was to bring peace by adopting new policies and creating atleast the environment in which people would have felt a change. Like clean the streets and make sure the free labour that was available to him was put to use.

Bro I dont see why they dont go back now ...may just turn out to be another 3 or so years b4 it is realised that nothing would work. Better take the bull by the horns I would say...

QL, thanks for the frank response. Brother as you know the government is not even two months old and the PM is still in the task of naming his cabnet. Its important to note that so far the major clan groupings are on board, that the USC for once is united and adamant that it will play the leading role of pacifying the capital.

There is ground work being done in Mogadishu that suggests that this is not like ARTA.

For example there is news that today a delefation of business men and MP's are assesing the condition of the old sea and air ports in order to determine the cost of reconstruction, now for the last 9 years the port was a no go area.

I think we should not rush into anything and plan for every eventuality.

Gabbal   

Abdiqasim lost the momentum before, but because he diddn't take advantage of the early hope the people were showing.

I would advise Abdulahi Yusuf not waste any more time.

would advise Abdulahi Yusuf not waste any more time.

I think its Geedi who will decide when the government relocates and to where?

It was never gonna happen stright away bro..

Gabbal   

It was never gonna happen stright away bro..

I know that Smith, but you must understand people aren't looking at nor do they care very much about Gedi. They are all looking at, guess who? Yes, Abdulahi Yusuf.

What he does, will the seal the fate of this government.

No plane has ever landed on tarmac laid with guns, "technicals," ammunitions, and dead people. This reminds me of the old English idiom: "Look before you leap."

This government is very strategic. With Arta, Abdiqassim wasn't offered the opportunity to land at Muqdisho Int'l Airport. But this government has been offered such an opportunity. And PM Ghedi already stated that he'll be landing at Muqdisho International. The world is watching - and waiting to see the sort of reception this government's leaders can get in Muqdisho.

My prediction: PM Ghedi will select a Cabinet that will consist of many Muqdisho-area politicians (incl. ex-warlords). Who can deny Muqdisho politicians (led by Muqdisho's own son, PM Ghedi) the right to land at the Capital's airport?

Let them relax at their hotels: they've got a hard task up ahead.

And what's this talk of Egypt? Only a fool would believe such a notion!

Thank you Horn...No momentum no government, No good will no government...No desire no government; No trust no government. No hard work no government.

If the present government is to succeed, it has to heal the people first and foremost and make sure everyody is treated with the respect they deserve. Clean up the cities and show that the sheriff is in town. Rememeber Somalis are not as ignorant as they were once upon a time.