Sign in to follow this  
- Femme -

Disrespecting the Masjid--and Fellow Muslims

On Eid ul-Ahda I was looking forward to praying with my fellow muslims and listening to the qudbah by the Imam (which is always interesting and makes me try harder to be a better muslim...for a while at least--> but thats a different problem for a different time smile.gif ). Well, I guessed it would be different from the regular juma qudbahs because this was EID AFTERALL. People should respect that for half of the prayer is listening to the qudbah (its actually part of the prayer..same as during juma)...but it was absolutely horrible (I had similar experiences in the past...but this was by far the worst.)

Most of the women thought it was a social gathering, a time to meet their friends and catch up on old gossip and news, so they sat around in groups and -talked talked talked-..the children were undisciplined, had tons of energy, and seemed to test the limists of their healthy young lungs. Not only were they screaming and yelling (which was bad enough in of itself), but running around the room playing tag and just being a complete nuisance. A couple of sisters would periodically stand up and tell the women to control their children and/or quite down themselves...but no one paid any heed and they went on with their business.

The noise was so bad that I couldn't, try as I might, make out one word that the Imam was uttering...and worse that that (humiliaing I would think)..the Imam himself paused for a moment to tell the women to quite down and calm their children because they could hear it through the wall. It got to the point that it was disturbning the brothers in the next room, on top of everything else.

Now, I spent alot of time thinking about this and I think I have come up with the best solution to this annoying problem. I believe that all boy babies/toddlers should go with their fathers and girls up to 5 years old too. Children would be intimidated by the presence of men rather than women and would quiten down. Furthermore, the physical presence of the Imam who they could see and listen to would probably make them think twice about causing such a disturbance.

BTW, how is it that the children in churches and temples are so quite and well-behaved and our muslim children are such monsters? They have absolultey no respect for the masjid and I'm thinking would it be better if there were no partitions to be placed between men and women. It was afterall, that way in the prophets time.

richmond-mosque_small.jpg

Salaam,

Peace iyo Bariis

in the Middle East!!!!

STOIC   

FF, are you saying the boys are the black sheep(causing the nuisance)?,if so then i think your idea is great.I think the parent need to be more officious towards there children.

Beard   

Bismillah,

Sorry abayo to hear that.

I over heard a somali lady asking last week "salada malagalay?" and we were in second raka'ah.

So many children were making noise around her.

The men can't tolerate that kind of children.They will confront the parents.

The Imams should check the microphones before every salad supervise parents with children.

Most of the somali parents tell the kids to come to the masjid but I dont think they tell them to behave. Also, its not the only women section where kids terrorize the place but walaahi even the men section is full some monster kids some of them threaten you when you tell them to keep it down.

Besides, not only kids disrespect the Masjid....haven't you seen how old folks gossip and make their enclaves to talk all kind of worldy stuff---sometimes you even overhear reer hebel iyo reer hebel. Haven't you seen how constantly phones ring in the Mosques? Somalis dont use common senses...they dont read written posters.Knowing this, the Mgmt put up signs to convey the message but this too does not work with us-somalis

juba   

^^You shouldn't isolate this case only to somalis! i believe its a collective thing, and i have noticed it happens much more in the womens section because they are expected to take the kids with them! (at my mosque anyway)

Yes FF i have noticed the problem not only are some pple disrespectful but unsanitary!! some masjid's are plain dirty and this is wrong in the house of Allah. i think its about a lack of dicipline and good behavior which starts in the home.

Stoic:

Walaal it is mostly the little boys but the girls are annoying also. The parents have absolutely no control over their children it seems or they might not just care. I mean how can one tell their children to quite down..if they themselves are making gossip and laughing with their pals? This will confuse the kids of course. But I do reall believe that the men should take the younger kids...it is well known that children are scared of their fathers and always test their mothers. The mothers are too forgiving and make allowances for their children's wild behaviour. But this is the masjid, not the playground and there is a time and place for everything. THe masjid is the house of Allah and its amazing how people continously disrespect it when in fact they came to worship Allah and seek his blessings and mercy.

Beard:

Aboowe, but neither can the women! Eitherway..little boys should go with their fathers and not stay with the women. Why are the women taking the boys anyway if their husbands, fathers, brothers, cousin, etc. are in the men's section? It would teach the boys alot to be surronded by other men in the masjid. The prophet (scw) always had hassan and hussien with him even when they were toddlers.

A Ladiif:

Not only reer hebel, but what heblaaya was wearing and how was talking to who, and who had the best dirac at what wedding. I can't speak for the brothers...but gossip is gossip I guess.

Juba:

I agree. If those were one of my kids...qanduufada aan saarilahaa diig baa ka soo daadhanlahaa. Really. icon_razz.gif And its not only the Somalis...but it is the MAJORITY of the people I encounter. If we are being honest with ourselves...most somali children have no manners at all walahi. Some of them need to have a nice spanking. When I was younger my mother had only to look at me and I would pee in my pants...but the children now the mothers beg, plead, threaten, hit them (in front of the othe people) and they still misbehave. They are so hard-headed.

Som@li   

FF,i have noticed that too,and in last Eid prayer,one of the spokesman of the mosque,an arab, took the mic after the salat, before the sermon,and said "stop making noise and be quite ,specially SOMALI WOMEN",most somalis were angry with him for pciking somalis,but again it was obvious where the noise was comig from. redface.gifredface.gifredface.gif ,how embrassing!!

Mostly Somali kids are really pain in the azz,behaving badly and my advide would be not to bring them at all, sending them to men's section won't help,,DISCIPLINE STARTS AT HOME..

i have observed closely families who came with well disciplined kids among somalis,and also other communities. i asked one somai guy,whose kids were behaving gently, how did u do this? he told me at home,while he is performing his daily prayers, he makes his kids,age 3-8,pray with him, thus they know exactly what to do at mosque.

wasalaam

Farxan