Sign in to follow this  
Amistad

Has anyone traveled from Saylac to....

Amistad   

Saylac/Zeila to Berbera on the road that goes through Bullaxaar? I note that road is 300 kms/ 180 miles to Berbera. Is it possible to make it in a 3/4 of a day? How many hours driving straight through from Saylac to Berbera?

Anyone traveled this route? All info would be helpful and appreciated!!

Thankful   

Originally posted by General Duke:

The ONLF have recently traveled from Zaylac to the ******, and it took them 2 days of strolling to cover 150KM..

:D:D

They were 300 people, so you can probably move a lot quicker!

The Zack   

Originally posted by General Duke:

The ONLF have recently traveled from Zaylac to the ******, and it took them 2 days of strolling to cover 150KM..

:D:D

The poster might as well call an ONLF commander for more info about this route.

Amistad   

Zack...funny man, LoL. Others, I am American by birth, my wife is Isaac / Djiboutian National & friend and acquaintance of General Duke and some leading Somali PHDs .

I am assisting in setting up a tour company for handover to Somalis once it is established in Somaliland (Puntland next), but it is not for tourism. Researchers, NGOs, Diplos, Politicians etc will participate in the tours for research, discovery. Read into this as you may regarding certain new policy shifts.

We currently have other slated projects in Somalia, one of our main goals is to start interviewing folks from all walks of life from (to start) major cities, then moving down the scale.

We do not want to speak with politicians, but people from every day walks of life to get ground truth. We say from the Police Chief on down. Cad-astral surveys, GIS/GPS Geo-Human & property mapping to help settle boundary/clan disputes etc etc. I will be seeking interviewers and interview-ees as soon as we are setup.

I will certainly post here in hopes of finding quality help. Believe it or not, we even want to conduct interviews with Shabab, Hizbul Islam /ARS whomever to get a full complete picture of feelings on the ground. Individual Interviews to last at least one hour, participants paid for their time.

Amistad   

Day 6. Depart Saylac/Zeila early morning for Berbera. Long Trek 300km/180 miles dirt track. Possible overnight (time, darkness constraints, in Bullaxaar (camp out). Nearby waterholes - Bulhar (0.6km) Dabakadol (10.3km) Badoleh (13.2km) Tukaleh (22.9km) Jana Gahin (29.7km) Kabad (41.7km) Bullaxaar approx 90 miles from Berbera. Contigency Camp (ie vehicle breakdown, overheat, vehicle stuck) light camp equipment good idea. Nearby populations at Geeri, Guban, Gerisa.

Chimera   

Get us some nice rare shots of the country will ya? We are dying for some epic Somali landscape panoramas, and those including historic architecture would be a bonus.

I wish you good luck & safety on your journey.

Amistad   

Originally posted by Taleexi:

Hope you don't base on your argument merely the findings on this excursion.

that would be ludicrous, to long of a history there to base upon any one or combination of recent events on one trip. I would hope nobody to be that arrogant.

Pics, yes we will take a bunch. Im especially interested in the area just east of Saylac where the road curves way out from the coast...must be very mountainous along there?

Chimera   

Sxb, the Somali Realm is so unexplored, you might end up randomly stumbling upon a lost civilization of Puntites, Adalites and Dervishes living side-by-side in peace, and probably a few volcanos & snow capped peaks here and there. :D