If US leaves Iraq we will arm Sunni militias, Saudis say

N.O.R.F   

· Fears of massacre prompt king's warning to Cheney

· Iranian influence across region adds to concern

Suzanne Goldenberg in Washington

Thursday December 14, 2006

The Guardian

King Abdullah of Saudi Arabia warned the US vice-president, Dick Cheney, that the kingdom would provide money and arms to Sunni militias in Iraq if America withdrew its troops from the country, it emerged yesterday.

The conversation, during a visit by Mr Cheney to Riyadh last month, was the most serious indication to date of Saudi concerns about a possible massacre of the minority Sunni community in Iraq in the event of a withdrawal of US forces, as well as rising Iranian influence in Iraq, Lebanon, and the Palestinian territories.

Saudi Arabia has been concerned for months about rising domestic pressure on George Bush to bring US troops home from Iraq, despite the administration's avowals that it has no plans for a troop withdrawal. Those fears were exacerbated by the Iraq Study Group's report, which recommends the withdrawal of combat forces in Iraq in early 2008 as well as the opening of diplomatic negotiations between the US and Syria and Iran.

Since then Mr Bush has held consultations with the Pentagon and state department officials in what seems an attempt to show the White House's commitment to carrying out a broad-based review of its policy on Iraq. The White House said it would unveil its new strategy in January.

Yesterday's New York Times reported that during the Riyadh meeting the king also expressed strong opposition to the recommendation that Washington open diplomatic talks with Iran, and called for a resumption of peace talks between Israel and the Palestinians. King Abdullah said that Saudi Arabia would move quickly, but acknowledged that the intervention on behalf of Sunni tribal chiefs might help insurgent forces who have been fighting the Americans.

Saudi officials and the White House both denied the report.

"That's not Saudi government policy," the White House press secretary, Tony Snow, told reporters. "The Saudis have made it clear that they're committed to the same goals we are, which is a self-sustaining Iraq that can sustain, govern and defend itself, that will recognise and protect the rights of all, regardless of sect or religion," he said. "And furthermore, they share our concerns about the role the Iranians are playing in the region."

In Baghdad the military spokesman, Major General William Caldwell, was also sceptical. "I don't think that came from the government of Saudi Arabia," he said.

But Kenneth Pollack of the Brookings Institution told CNN that Saudi Arabia had strong motivation to take sides in a civil war. "They're terrified that civil war will spill over into Saudi Arabia. But they're also terrified that the Iranians, backing the various Shi'ite militias in Iraq, will come out the big winner in a civil war," he said.

In addition, reports emerged last week that Saudi private citizens were funnelling money to Sunni militias in Iraq through charities or pilgrims.

The warning to Mr Cheney was the most high-level indication of Saudi concerns. In October the Saudi ambassador to Washington, Prince Turki al-Faisal, said that "since America came into Iraq uninvited, it should not leave Iraq uninvited".

The same message was delivered last month by Nawaf Obaid, a security adviser to the Saudi embassy, in the Washington Post. "One of the first consequences will be massive Saudi intervention to stop Iranian-backed Shi'ite militias from butchering Iraqi Sunnis," Mr Obaid wrote. "Options now include providing Sunni military leaders [primarily ex-Baathist members of the former Iraqi officer corps, who make up the backbone of the insurgency] with the same types of assistance - funding, arms and logistical support - that Iran has been giving to Shi'ite armed groups for years."

Prince Turki sacked Mr Obaid a week later, and the official Saudi press agency said there was no truth to his remarks. Days later Prince Turki told his staff that he had resigned. There has been no official confirmation from Saudi authorities.

source

Oromia   

Makkah and Medhina should be transferred to Iran to look after and protect. The Saudis are fit to have custodinaship of the White House or the Vatican. My humble opinion.

N.O.R.F   

I can only commend the Iranians for becoming a power house in the ME. Lets face it they are the strongest in the ME and are now flexing their muscles while the Sunnis were sleeping and relying on the US for protection.

"One of the first consequences will be
massive Saudi intervention
to stop Iranian-backed Shi'ite militias from butchering Iraqi Sunnis," Mr Obaid wrote. "Options now include providing Sunni military leaders
[primarily ex-Baathist members of the former Iraqi officer corps,
who make up the backbone of the insurgency] with the same types of assistance - funding, arms and logistical support - that Iran has been giving to Shi'ite armed groups for years."

Desperate times bring strange friendship. Saudi are alone on this one. Kwait is too afraid to do anything and doesn't mind the Saddam camp getting the short end of the stick. Yemen will not move anywhere with more than 15% of the population so does the gulf states.

Egypt will do only if there is tons of money from Gulf arabs and the Americans are looking the other way or helping. It will be bonanza for egypt from all places from Arabs, America and Europe.

Saudi are alone on this one

So it also means Ethiopia too as the chief financia & investor is Alamoudi non other than a Saudi.

So the Woyanes are in deep shi*T

It means that Father Paulos should be called in to pray for the Woyanes.

Saudis can do nothing ,,,,,,, that is just words on the mouth not more ,,,,,, do u know how many Shi'as in Saudi Arabia ?? ,,, all what they call Mandiqah Al-Sharqiah is now dominated by Shias ,,,, they are more vurnerable than Iraq Walahi ,,,,,,,,,

Taliban   

Originally posted by Oromia:

Makkah and Medhina should be transferred to Iran to look after and protect. The Saudis are fit to have custodinaship of the White House or the Vatican. My humble opinion.

I disagree. There are capable Saudis who are fit to have the custodianship of Makkah and Medina. They have excellent track record of fighting for Islam, the rights and interests of Muslims. One of them is Sheikh Osama bin Laden. If we are talking about non-Saudis who are fit to have the custodianship of Makkah and Medina, then Sheikh Dahir Aweys and Sheikh Sharif Ahmed are more than fit to have the custodianship. So is amir al-Mu'mineen Muhammad Omar of the Taliban.

Taliban   

Originally posted by Jacaylbaro:

isn't Mohamed Omar dead by now ????

Is that your wish? The death of a fellow Muslim who is a decorated mujahid? No, amir al-Mu'mineen Muhammad Omar is alive and well, in field defensive jihad, Ilaahey cimrigiisa dheereeyo.

N.O.R.F   

Waar wax maqla, this topic is about the current situation in the ME not who is best for being the custodian of the two holy mosques. Start a new thread if you want!

Taliban   

Originally posted by Northerner:

Waar wax maqla, this topic is about the current situation in the ME not who is best for being the custodian of the two holy mosques. Start a new thread if you want!

Sorry, it was Oromia who hijacked your topic. Irrelevant suggestion was made about people (Shia) who aren't fit for the custodianship of Makkah and Medina, and I had to rebut and set the record straight.

N.O.R.F   

Include Oromia,,

These are dangerous times in the ME for Sunnis. Youhave Lubaan, Syria, Ciraaq iyo Iran all stirring an unknown combination.

Oromia   

Include Oromia,,

These are dangerous times in the ME for Sunnis. Youhave Lubaan, Syria, Ciraaq iyo Iran all stirring an unknown combination.

First, I wholeheartedly agree that the ICU is more worthy of custodianship of our holy masgids than the Saudis.

Second, regarding the Sunni-problem:

-- in Lubaan Sunnis are themselves to blame by being the friends of the majnoon/america and the jews.

--in Ciraaq the bathists (only a few sunnis) are massacring Shi'a civilians and destroyng masgids. As you very well might know intentionally targetting innocent civilian muslims and masgids is a Kuffr profession.

--in Suriya and Iran are not threat for Sunnis at all. Especially Iran is the only Islamic nation Allah Subaxanaa raised in this epoch to protect and defend the Ummah. It is only the Saudis and also thier friends in the gulf (all of them best friends of the George Bush family) try to defame /badmouth Iran. You should also know that the Saudis and thier Gulf states made the International Kaffir economy super-strong by financing its development. You can read books on international economics or a few minutes of the Michael Moore's fahranite 9/11. as Mohammad Mahatir of Malayaia eloquently put it " if the Gulf Arabs were not financing the US economy the US would not be able to provide help to the Jews".

Of course, there are good Saudis too. However they are too small to change the equation.

Jaylaani   

URL=http://www.guardian.co.uk/Iraq/Story/0,,1971581,00.html]source
[/url]

I thought they were doing that already.