Sign in to follow this  
Alisomali

Can I live in Somaliland

I just finished my post graduate work in International Business at the University of California Los Angeles.

My hope is to open a financial institution (Bank)in the north of Somalia AKA Somaliland along with a African American friend of mine who go his MBA from the famed Yale University.

But there is one problem, some of my family members held high positions in the last Somali wide regime. The same regime that battered the people of Somaliland. Mind you at the time of this war I was only 9 or 8 years old.

Thus the question I pose is can i live and work in peace in Somaliland, and find acceptance amongst the people.

do it bro! u aint done nothing! dont let the past stop u from your furture dreams. besides, u know its africa maaan! $ talks, no $ u dead meat!! i am just kidding but u get my drift! just think of it as though u is correcting our immoral, corrupted x govt ppl!!

dude i am really proud of you and if u need any help with this endavour, pm and well take about!

good luck! u r the 2nd hommie that i came across within the last six months who decided to go back home and start a business! american is getting stale!...but in my case, if i got back, i will need bullet proof car!!

Bachelor   

Alisomali, that was a brilliant idea though you need to do a serious research before you take step.

But there is one problem, some of my family members held high positions in the last Somali wide regime

Dont worry about that, as long as you are investing good will who cares what your family were.

Yes, it is relatively peace incomparsion to the other part of somalia. But peace alone doesnt help, you need to know the system, understand the people and most of all you should have connection, connection and connection.

AYOUB   

Ali both you and the 'doctor with no tools' are welcome to work and live in Somaliland. People from all sorts of background do live and work in Somaliland and I don't see why you two should be the exception. In fact that is what Somaliland is all about as far as am concerned. If the people who were part of the dead regime have been forgiven I don't see why should worry at all. What I am not so sure about is what sorts of rights you (a non Somalilander I think) will have. I hope someone helps us on that.

African   

AliSomali, I agree with Bachelor that you need to do research (feasibility study) before you embark on this project. I'm sure you studied that in your course.

Setting up a Financial Institution, you need the right governing laws in place. I don't know how far those are developed in Somaliland, so please study very carefully before taking the plunge.

Thus the question I pose is can i live and work in peace in Somaliland, and find acceptance amongst the people.

With regards to your relation with the military regime, I believe that's history for them. I will not lie to you and say that they forgot what happen, however we can see that they have forgiven the big Sharks so why would they not give you peace and space to develop the country.

PS: We use to have a watchman called Cabdi Somali back in the old days in Xamar. You brought some good memories back. ;);)

Lixle   

AliSomali says, But there is one problem, some of my family members held high positions in the last Somali wide regime

Can you elaborate a little bit on this? what exactly where their functions/positions?

nuune   

mujaahid lol,

sxb Alisomali,i just came back this place about two weeks ago,and i have seen all sorts of peoplle,yacni all somalis are there,whether they are from the south or NFD blah blah blah etc,u know when it comes 2 BIZNIS,there is no wall infront of you,u just float like a pioneer,keep it up if u r making it real,peace

Ibtilo   

I have no problem with you going back, the question is though if you are going to live in Somaliland, do you support Somaliland's independence, if not why in the world are you going to live in a country that you dont believe in? If you dont supports Somalilands independence, I say you can live in Somaliland, but it would be better for you to live in Mogadhisho where there are like minded people.

However, if you do support Somaliland, and the wishes of its people then go ahead.

-Ibtilo

I left when I was young too, and am going back to Somaliland. If you are for the peoples freedom, and their self determination then go ahead however, if your not then stay where you are or go to Somalia.

Secondly, talking about Somaliland as Northwest Somalia is your first mistake, I wouldnt advise that as you walk around those that your family has killed, for your own safety ofcourse.

Ibtilo   

P.S. if you open a bank in Somaliland, it has to have Somaliland money only, since that is the country your in.

Or are you going to bring back ****** money?

If so start a bank in Somalia and stay away from, Somaliland yet again for your own safety ofcourse.

P.S. Somalilands central Bank is going to be started soon, so if you want to go back ask yourself the questions I have mentioned.

Because although ****** money is sometimes used in trade with Puntland, the government is launching a project to inforce the Somaliland shilling, so its not really time for a Barre child to come in no matter what and start putting in ****** money, Silanyo and many other leaders will take up offense and before u know it the bank is going under.

Blessed   

Actually in many parts of Sland they still use the Somali shilling. I know they do in Burco cos my Hooyo wnet there last year!

Back to the topic.

Your welcome in Sland. In fact people from different regions / countries inter-trad across Somalia. I guess money knows no boundaries.

Also, the people back home are alot more tolerant of each other than the qurbo geeks. I suppose they are too concerned with survival. I Can honestly say, that none of the ppl that visited Somalia /Somaliland complained about being un-welcome because they were from a different region.

However, you do get cursed out for being a 'dhaqan celis'. Learn perfect Somali, dress like the locals and act Somali .... was the advice given to me by my mates.

Saalixa   

ali somali

YOU are so lucky, man i'd die to finish my studies right now and go travel and work back home. Brother it doesnt matter where you are from you are welcomed as long as you have a degree, coz beleive me no qabilist no matter how much hatred he has for you will stop you coz the country is so in need of it. See people can steal your wealth, assests etc but they will never take your knowledge away from you. That is a really important saying i was given by an old teacher of mine.

so go for it. Just ask Yourself: whats in it for me not my qabil members because they aint the ones supporting u financially.

well i have years left till my post graduate degree and cant wait till i finish studies and go relax and work back home so u should see what you have is highly valued.

good luck. :D

Lixle   

Ameenah,

I guess that old Somalia money "giim baar" is the reason why Eastern Somaliland is as such shambles it is. If only as the Western Somaliland they used the more dynamic and economically active SLSH (pronounced Silish) money, they would have been in a better state then they are today.

As reer burco found out:

"Waxaan jaadna goynayn,

jeebkana dhex jiifo

giimbaar ah baa i'helay"

sing along using Saynab Cige's song "Dhabacaaye" tune.

LANDER   

Ali somali,

first of all, congrats on your finishing your studies,I'm myself doing an international business degree right now and respect your endeavours. I also respect your ambition to engage in business in Somaliland. I believe if you have vision and forethought there is no obstacle you can't surmount. However I suggest you take some of the advice given to you already by some of the other members and learn more about Somaliland before you decide to embark on such ambitious ventures. I'm sure you learnt in business school that part of evaluating the feasibility of a project is to assess the Political and economic environment. That being said, I'm sure you understand comments like "North west Somalia aka Somaliland" will not be very well received in the streets of Hargeisa so if you're really serious about this project you will learn to avoid such things that will get you unwanted attention.

lates

Blessed   

Mujaahid lol@ heestaa!

I'll sing it to reer Burco markaan booqdo, laakin hadii la shiido adaan kaa jari doonaa :D

I think East Sland is in shamlbes because of economic inactivity, seems like everyone wants to be in Hargaisa. And .. Lets not forget the high taxs they have to pay and the fact that our wonderful government fails to invest in the region. I mean, even shilinkii cusbaa ayeey la bakhayleen. I get thi feeling of deja vou :rolleyes:

But anyway, its all good, from what I've been hearing, UDUB had started a 'suck up' campaing in Burco recently. We are finaly getting the goodies (aid, i.e help with rebuilding schools etc) the rest of Sland (namely Hargaisa) was enjoying for a while.

I guess, wey yara baqayaan .. hehehehehhehe!