Sign in to follow this  
Peacenow

Islam has made Somalia Weak

Peacenow   

I think Islam is dying. Look at the modern world. No one cares about Islam. It is synnous with torture and killing.

I think Somalia would have progressed more if we didn't have it in our culture. What you have now? Somali women raped by Ethiopians. Cold hard reality is that Islam makes you weak.

You don't produce anything, manufacture anything, no technology. you wail and pray, but the ground beneath you doesn't move. Then you wonder, why you are all weak and occupied. Today, the whole Muslim world is a humiliation.

Steps to make Somalia Strong in the future.

Releagate Islam to the lowest level in society. It functions only in places of whorship and charity.

Abolish the clan system, forbide discussion of it in any form at state level

Invest in EDUCATION, EDUCATION, EDUCATION

Insitgate a pragmatic foreign policy, based shrewdley on self interest

Look across the ocean and towards India, as a trading partner and build a strategic alliance

Peacenow   

Dhucdhuc, don't worry about me, lets address the issue.

The issue of persistent weakeness in majority Islamic states.

What causes it, why does it happen, what has led to it. Does Islam have a part to play in it. I would say strongly it does.

These belief in that everything will play out ok, that it is better to die than to live, the fatalism. Worship of the afterlife and penury in the present. Lets see how that has played out in the present existence of most muslims and especially Somalis.

Ms DD   

Peacenow

What aspects of Islam do you think is holding us back from having prosperity and peace. Before we attempt to analayse your assertions, lets list the parts of Islam that weakenes us.

Johnny

We really shouldnt go there smile.gif

Taliban   

Originally posted by Dhucdhuc & Dheylo:

DO we have another apostate in our hands here?

peacenow meant this topic to be a heated one with +10 pages.

Xoogsade   

PeaceNow, Some islamic countries that I can recall who are performing well are Malaysia, Indonesia, Saudi Arabia, Dubai, Kuwait, Qatar and Bahrain, all progressive islamic countries. Not perfect but doing well. These countries are not humiliated but stand tall among the nations. Islam doesn't seem to hinder their countries' progress.

If you look at Africa, there are many examples of nonislamic countries suffering greatly from corruption, violence and backwardness, our neighbour Ethiopia being one, very poor, Aids infested, corrupt and too violent that it transports the violence to other countries. That is all they know, to be violent. Freedom, christianity and being the vanguard of Western interests for a thousand plus years have given that country little to boast.

With our islam, we(somalis) were once a nation of great potentials, almost all literate, literacy extended to the nomadic lady tending to her camels who was given a chance to read and write under an acacia tree, with her animals waiting at a distance while she mastered the art of writing, poor nation we were but progressive. The regression and all the humility we face today is a culmination of many things which have nothing to do with islam. In fact, there is lack of islam in Somalia than there is the need to disassociate ourselves from it. Our problems are not islamic based but clan based. You already know your answer from your visits to the Politics section.

Lastly saxib, assuming you have beef with religion per se and think it inhibits progress, I must inform you that islamic scholars of ancient, obeying the directives of the quran to study nature in order to glorify god, laid the scientific foundation the world reaps its fruits today. They collected knowledge of otehrs, translated and expanded on it, invented and taught selflessly to any nation and people who would learn and listen.

Haseena   

Bismillah,

Salamu Calaykum wa Raxmatullah,

Baraka Allah fik Xoogsade...

We don't need to look far back in history to see what the right Islam can accomplish in today’s Somalia...for over 15 years the people was forbidden any peace...but when the Islamic courts appeared and even though their ruling lasted for 6 months, peace and prosperity among Somalis in Somalia was not for off....if Islam makes Somalia weak... then those 6 months would be the most troublesome and most disastrous....

Ameen   

Originally posted by peacenow:

I think Islam is dying.

Subhan'Allah

I never thought I would live to see the day when I wound find my own people giving up on Islam. Initially I thought to myself, these are words of a ____________(if you must know the last word, finish it yourself). However after thinking to myself and understanding the current day situation, the only conclusion I could make is, this (the problem in our Motherland) is happening to us because of OUR own sin. Allah is the Just and if we don’t change for the better as a people, than we will fail as those nations before us because Allah stands in no need of us, but we stand in great need of Him.

As for Islam dying, NAY...you will die (and I will die) and Islam will rise.

And Allah knows best

Chimera   

Originally posted by Xoogsade: we(somalis) were once a nation of great potentials, almost all literate, literacy extended to the nomadic lady tending to her camels who was given a chance to read and write under an acacia tree, with her animals waiting at a distance while she mastered the art of writing, poor nation we were but progressive

so true..

Cross-Cultural Approaches to Literacy By Brian Street

What has been hailed as the Somali miracle of instant literacy was iniated with the launching in 1973 of a concerted urban literacy campaign. Adult literacy classes drew large and enthusiatic attendences from the most educational deprived sectors of urban population, including women. The next step in this cultural revolution as it was proclaimed by the then Minister of Information and Guidance Ismail Ali Abokar was to extend literacy to the neglected Nomads. Accordingly in the late summer of 1974 a taskforce of 30000 secondary school students and teachers were dispatched in truckloads to the interior. These privileged students were thus to share the fruits of the glorious revolution -If you know,teach! if you don't, learn!

ansaar17   

the problem with these kind of mentality is we have people here who think the history of mankind began in the 1800s.

for god sake the westerners have only been at top for 200 yrs atleast, give it some time.

anything before the 1700s they were barbarians. I promise you their downfall of society will come as a result of the break down of morals.

A sign of a crumbling civilization is when the family breaks down, it all starts with the family and goes up the ladder. today many western nations divorce rates are upove 50%,

1 in 4 women are raped in most of the countries in the west.

if you read the statistics, you will be amazed at how far they are going down the ladder.

they loose the very bit of humanity with the passing of each day. each day the stoop to a new low.

another day they were arguing about making ecstacy legal in germany, forget about homosexuality.

popluation wise their women no longer give birth, they want to be "civilized" and don't want to put up with raising children.

they want to go parties and be like men.

Chimera   

Shutting Out The Sun

cover_med.jpg

The world's second wealthiest country, Japan once seemed poised to overtake America. But its failure to recover from the economic collapse of the early 1990s was unprecedented, and today it confronts an array of disturbing social trends. Japan has the highest suicide rate and lowest birthrate of all industrialized countries and a rising incidence of untreated cases of depression. Even more troubling are the more than one million young men who shut themselves in their rooms ("hikikomori"), withdrawing from society, and the growing numbers of "parasite singles," the name given to single women who refuse to leave home, marry, or bear children.

Xoogsade   

I quote a List of Muslim Scientists, not all are listed but this will encourage peacenow or anyon else intersted to read more of islamic history. Each man's name will lead to a link talking about him and hiw work.

Astronomy

Muslim astronomers

Taqi Al-Din, Ottoman astronomer

Al-Khawarizmi, Also a mathematician

Ilugh Beg, Also a mathematician

Omar Khayyam

Al-Farghani

The rest can be accessed at the main link at Wikipedia At the bottom.

Chemistry

Ahmed H. Zewail, Nobel Prize, 1999

Abu Musa Jabir Ibn Hayyan, (Geber)

Geography

Muhammad al-Idrisi, also a cartographer

Mathematicians

Muslim mathematicians

al-Samawal

Abu'l-Hasan al-Uqlidisi

Jamshid al-Kashi

Abu Kamil

Abu Sahl al-Kuhi

Abu Bakr al-Karaji

Al-Khwarizmi (Al-Gorithm)

Abu Nasr Mansur

Ahmad ibn Yusuf

Al-Jawhari

Al-Kindi

Alhazen

Biruni

Omar Khayyám, Persian poet, mathematician, and astronomer.

Nasir al-Din Tusi, 13th Century Persian mathematician and philosopher

Medicine

Abul Hasan al-Tabari - physician

Ali ibn Sahl Rabban al-Tabari - physician

Al-Zahrawi - physician

Avicenna, (Ibn Sina) also a philosopher

Saghir Akhtar pharmacist

Rhazes (Al Razi), also a chemist

Physics

Abu'l-Hasan al-Uqlidisi, 9th Century Arab mathematician

Averroes, 12th Century Andalusian mathematician, philosopher and medicine expert

Al-Jazari, 13th Century civil engineer

Mahmoud Hessaby, 20th Century Iranian physicist

Bacharuddin Jusuf Habibie, 20th Century Indonesian aerospace engineer and president

Abdus Salam, Nobel Prize, 1979, Pakistani physicist

Ibn-Al-Haitham

Retrieved

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Muslim_scientists