Sign in to follow this  
Haashim

Irish Nationalist turned Muslim to address Muslim Identity Conference

Haashim   

Abdul Qadeer Draper, was born in 1947 to a Loyalist family in Northern Ireland. Growing up in a Loyalist environment, he began to question why he should support a foreign country like Britain in oppressing a part of the Irish people. His loyalty to Britain began to fade, and his identity began to sympathise with his Irish countrymen, which led him to join the Irish nationalist cause. However, nationalism did not give him an identity that he felt comfortable with either, and his mind remained at unease.

Abdul Qadeer will address the Muslim Identity conference, entitled “British or Muslim?”, to be held at the National Indoor Arena, Birmingham this Sunday 24th August. He will explain his path to discovering Islam and adopting the Islamic identity, which he embraced in 2000. His talk will highlight his quest for identity, and how could never rest till he found the Islamic identity.

Also speaking at the conference will be Aqib Hanif, a city worker from London. Aqib was a man who many people in this country would regard as having everything. Working in the rich financial capital, his position afforded him the comforts and luxuries that many people only dream about. Owning a portfolio of exclusive properties, having cars custom made for him, living with the privileged elite, and all by the age of 25 - he fitted the perfect Capitalist identity. However, even with his wealth Aqib never attained tranquillity, rather the more he had, the more he wanted.

Aqib will present to the conference his encounter with a young Muslim da'wah carrier. This young Muslim was diagnosed with cancer and had weeks to live, yet even in this grave situation he possessed a tranquillity that had eluded Aqib. The presentation will cover the discovery of the Islamic identity and thoughts -such as Rizk and Tawakul - which uniquely allow people to find peace of mind and comfort in life, no matter what the situation.

Also speaking at the conference will be Abu Yusuf, a freelance communications engineer who worked for CNN during the Iraq war. Being in the thick of the action, he was exposed to the truth of what was really happening in Iraq, and what the real feelings of the Iraqi people were towards their colonialist occupiers. He had the choice of remaining quiet over the biased reporting and propaganda, in the national interests of his home country, just as his British and American colleagues chose to do so. Or he had the choice of speaking out. It was a question of identity, and allegiances.

Abu Yusuf, will present to the conference how his experiences fortified in his mind the vast expanse between him and his British colleagues. And how the natural affinity he found he had with his Muslim brethren in Iraq solidified his Islamic identity.

These case studies highlight the issues of identity, values and vision that confront the Muslim community in Britain. These important issues impact our daily lives, and hence require resolution in a way that agrees with the fundamental beliefs that Muslims carry about life.

This weekend's conference is set to discuss all aspects of the Muslim identity, in the largest gathering of Muslims ever convened for this purpose in Britain. The conference takes place at the National Indoor Arena, Birmingham this Sunday 24th August. Coaches have been organised from all major towns and cities throughout Britain. In addition to the speeches, there will also be food and bookstalls. Prayer and crèche facilities will be available at the venue.

wardi   

thanks muraad nice post, Muraad how many times i have to tell you leave alone my adeer Muse...

did he said that ?

asalaamu alaykum,

Muraad I've heard so much about this conference I REALLY REALLY wish I could've attended. Mainly bc it's the first of its kind that I've heard of atleast, tackling the identity issue of the Muslims which is soo very vital. All the conferences here in N.America are all about teaching you how to be a good American-Muslim or Canadian-Muslim. I remember 2yrs ago, I attended an ISNA-Canada conference and they had the Canadian armed forces there recruiting Muslim youths!! :mad: I couldn't wait to get out of there and I've never went back since.

I look forward to reading all the speeches from this conference and hopefully there will be some audio on the web too.

If you've attended I'd really like to know what you thought of it.

salaam

Haashim   

Wardi & CM Thanks, the conference is going on now in Birmingham and i'm in London, so i didn't attend it for personal reasons, i hope we will hear about it soon INSHAALLAAH.

Wardi, I will leave adeer muse alone, Calashaanak.

Finally he did say what i wrote and many more and if u want i will send you the whole interview.

Inshallah i will try to get some information conspicous_M, as a few brothers from my uni attended

You see Islam continues to spread from day to day getting stronger in numbers it seems by the hour. Indeed Allah (swt) is Ar-Rahim

-----------------------------------------------------------------

The more I learned and accepted the better my life became. My inward rebellion and self-pity dissipated as I submitted to Allah. Peace entered my life.

Islam Came into My Life Unexpectedly

8/20/2003 - Religious Social - Article Ref:

By: Lisa Moore

IslamiCity* -

Islam came into my life unexpectedly, at a time I was feeling very discouraged. My parents were getting older and had developed serious health problems. My brother's disabilities from multiple sclerosis had increased to the point my parents and I were having difficulty caring for him. I was middle-aged, with no husband and children, trying to cope with the failing health of three people. I did not even have a good career to help, for although I had obtained a PhD I was by nature very shy and had never been able to promote myself successfully.

At this time I happened to get into a discussion about Islam and realized how little I really knew about it. The next time I had access to a computer I decided to search some sites about it. On one of the first sites I found, I saw a translation of the Shahada: "There is no God but Allah and Muhammad is his prophet." I was stunned. "But I have always believed that," I said aloud.

For although my parents are Christian, my father had always had a translation of the Qur'an in our home which I had sometimes looked at but not really studied. So I had grown up believing Muhammad (pbuh) was a true prophet of God. And I had never been comfortable with the Catholic division of God into three, but had known in my heart there was One God alone.

I now felt compelled to learn more about Islam. I sent for some literature from IslamiCity, and corresponded with a sister there. I began reading my translation of the Qur'an with the intent to learn. I ordered books about Islam and the history of Islam. The more I learned and accepted the better my life became. My inward rebellion and self-pity dissipated as I submitted to Allah. Peace entered my life. I quit considering myself a failure because I was not financially successful. My sister was moved to take my disabled brother to live in her city where he could receive better care. Although my parents' health continued frail, I was now better able to help them without the care of my brother as well.

The day I made my Shahada I was nervous, but also overwhelmed with gratitude to Allah for my guidance to the peace of Islam.

Sr. Lisa Moore took the Shahada (declaration of faith) in August 2003. She resides in the United States. May Allah (swt) always bless and guide her on the Straight Path (ameen).

-------------------------------------------------------------