Sign in to follow this  
Haystak

CHILD SMUGGLINGS IN SOMALIA?

Haystak   

United Nations (New York)

January 17, 2003

Posted to the web January 18, 2003

New York

Somali children sent abroad in the expectation of a better life instead end up facing serious psychological and identity problems, and in extreme cases, are even forced into prostitution as part of an exploitative child-smuggling business, according to a new report released today by the United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA).

Faced with desperate choices and a bleak future in their own country, many Somali parents pay up to $10,000 to child traffickers, who "abandon" the children at airports and railway stations in European and North American countries, says "A Gap in their Hearts: the experience of separated Somali children," which was prepared by OCHA's independent humanitarian news service known as the Integrated Regional Information Network (IRIN).

The report quotes child smugglers who claim that up to 250 children - mostly teenagers but some two to three year-olds - are sent out of Somalia every month. Families blame poor education, sparse health facilities, poverty and conflict as reasons to spent thousands of dollars to smuggle their children abroad.

But while some "separated" children end up with caring relatives, some are burdened by serious psychological and identity problems; they are coached and intimidated to assume a new name, age and a made-up family history. The report also says that in extreme cases some fall into the hands of international criminal gangs. Houdan, a "separated" child studying biotechnology in Sweden, is quoted in the report as saying that for people like him, the problems outweigh advantages. "It is tragic they can't take advantage of the opportunities they are sent for because of their circumstances," he says.

The children also pose a challenge to host countries where immigration and security measures after the 11 September terror attacks in the United States have been tightened and their rights often come under question. With immigration one of the most important issues in the West today, the report says that development and aid is imperative rather than erecting more barriers in the host countries. After a decade of international neglect and collapse of the state in 1991, Somalia produces one of the largest groups of separated children who arrive in Europe and North America.

Ariadne   

I don't know what to say....except for the poor children with broken dreams and the families that are presuaded/tricked into trusting people only looking to make money off their kids.....whats is this world coming to :eek: ...

Lefty   

It is a very interesting topic indeed for the Somali-community in all over World. PErsonaly, I am not surprised this news of child smuggling at all. It's very well-known how somalis are always enthusiast and eagerly do whatever it takes for sake of going to foriegn countries especially Western countries. HOwever, this kind of thing explains how far Somalis are suffering post the civil war.

couple months ago, I finaly came cross with a Somali homosexual/ethiast in face to face. When we were somehow asked him why he chose that path, he reasoned because the lost of his parents in the war and the lack of any help from relatives or any other Somalis, he decided to change in order to turn his life around and finaly adopted the culture of those who helped him. Whatever he's, I don't think he's the only somali who did that. Imagine the future images and livings of all these smuggling children. NOt only would some of them join prostitution, drugs, and other religions, but their outcome from the majority of them would absolutely effect and influence the future picture of greater Somali people in the long term. No more ppl with same culture, religion, language, and etc. There are many things to come, just wait and witness.

We seem to be playing with our future in all our actions as acommunity. Destroying our country, sending our kids to foreign lands without proper parental guidance and help and most of all todays teenagers picking on all the bad habbits. The consequences of these actions will probably lose a whole generations input into what could have been.... "AN INDEPENDENT SOCIETY WITH RESPECT."

HONEY-D   

It's really sad to see those children who are brought to the west without their parents. I some times wonder if we would ever get the chance to rebuild our country and save what is left of without having to pay a high price. :(

Further to what Haystak wrote while I was at INDIA not western countries I met face to face a Somali man who Worship fire as part of the Hinduism and he reached a level that locals considered him a higher priest, apparently his parents sent him to India before the war occurs in boarding school and after the war his family died and an Indian family raised him on their believes....

• couple months ago, I finaly came cross with a Somali homosexual/ethiast in face to face. When we were somehow asked him why he chose that path, he reasoned because the lost of his parents in the war and the lack of any help from relatives or any other Somalis, he decided to change in order to turn his life around and finaly adopted the culture of those who helped him. Whatever he's, I don't think he's the only somali who did that. Imagine the future images and livings of all these smuggling children. NOt only would some of them join prostitution, drugs, and other religions, but their outcome from the majority of them would absolutely effect and influence the future picture of greater Somali people in the long term. No more ppl with same culture, religion, language, and etc. There are many things to come, just wait and witness.

It is indeed a frightining possibilty thats is occuring right now as we speak.

That's heartbreaking.

Originally posted by Haystak:

Houdan
, a "separated" child studying biotechnology in Sweden, is quoted in the report as saying that for people like him, the problems outweigh advantages. "It is tragic they can't take advantage of the opportunities they are sent for because of their circumstances," he says.

I know this is off-topic, but isn't that a girl's name?

Senora   

lol@ Barwaaqo

those poor beautiful children, I know many of them that are going through this right now.

Miskin   

Well, this shows how fragmented and desperate we are becoming as a community, sending our future to the hands of the enemy, (our future being our children). It also shows how ill-informed these families are. Let us pray for peace in our home land.

Peace & love

Miskin

underdog   

Most of us are now in so called developed countries and if you take the time to look around and see that its a sad state of affairs. Take an objective look at what happened to the Somali family unit upon arrival. The same thing that happens to any visible minority. The family is broken up using pure economics.

The man who went out everyday and busted his ass to put food in his familys mouth is undermined and made to feel absolutely worthless. The family that made it (together) through a war and then refugee camps and foriegn lands that neither liked nor respected them, made it to the "free" ( civilised, developed, frist)world. and that man was told he doesn't have the experience or skills to get a job. so what do they do? oh look this government gives out money at the end of every month. good stuff, why work? lets capitalize on this. Suddenly, the wife sees her man at home or at the coffee shop 24/7. he's not helping with any of the house work ( why should he? he's the MAN right?) so she figures I'm getting more $$ than her loser man who can't find a job so she has a few options ( pretty sure he has no say in this) A) He can move to another country to get a job with "self respect" B) She can just kick his ass to the curb - what he going to raise his hand aginst her? (911) C) She can give him some moral support and they can discuss how the family can get through these hard times.

Look around you and see how many kids are being raised in single parent homes (not necessarily a bad thing but has more cons than pros). Or the kid wakes up to go to school each morning and daddy doesn't even have a job and spends his day discussing Somali politics and pipe-dreams. ( no wonder the only role models our youth have are Hip Hop singers and criminals).

I really sorry for the young kids that come come to these morally-bankrupt societies alone and I sorry I sound bitter.

I'm new on this forum and I can honestly say you guys are a welcome breath of fresh air. It seems hope is still alive.

B.T.W. the topics and view points here are incredible. I hope to have a chance to share and learn new ideas.