Sign in to follow this  
General Duke

Bossaso: President Faroole visits, Port, airport Livestock quarantine PICS

Somalipride, welcoming back old boy, you are correct that Cade will be remembered because of the infrastructure buildings he started.

Now lets get your report and Pics from the state.

Hope all is well.

Thankful   

Gheelle, T.

You are right, there is a new chapter in Puntland. However, don't think Cade is history. There is a reason why they met on President Faroole's trip to Bosasso. You must understand how Puntland works, even though Abdullahi Yusuf is in Yemen he is far from history and holds very high influence. There is a reason why President Faroole named Cade as an advisor right away. Even President Faroole would never make a comment like you did.

Thankful   

Hey Duke, i'll post some of the pics I took. I didn't take as many as I wished. I can not put in words how big bosasoo is, it is not the same city I left a couple years back. It has grown enormously. You can find everything you want there now. I remember little things like barber shops where very poorly maintained in the past, now they look like some in the West do. With real chairs and very clean, before there were none. There are eye glasses stores with professionally displayed products. Hotels are so much more nicer, Juba Hotels front area is very nice. Security is a lot tighter and there are places that will stop you and check that you have an up to date drivers book if you drive around. The stores are full of so many things and so many restaurants have good food. I know this may seem to like nothing to someone that has never been to the state, but if you haven't been there before or ESPECIALLY if it's been a long time since you gone to Puntland, you'll be shocked how it has grown. There are Somalis living peacefully there from every corner of the country. But when I was living abroad all you hear is the state is near collopse that things are terrible. That is far from the truth and it seems so many only focus on the negative news.

With that being said, Bosasso seems to be growing far more then the rest of the state and I am worried that the other places will fall behind. The new president must trying and work with other area's and help them develop also.

Thankful   

Originally posted by Che Guevara:

Hello Somalipride...Hope you had good trip.

It was AMAZING ALHAMDULILAH. I am already saving for my trip back there this summer insha'Allah. I definitely know where my future is!!! I guess after constantly hearing the negative news while I was here, I was expecting the worst. I was delighted that it was all fabricated.

Puntland is being built and I want to get in on it while things are still relatively cheap.

Somalipride, Bossaso is a powerhouse but because of the size of the state other cities will have a chance to develop their own niche's.

That is the kind of description we need and the pics would help.

Originally posted by somalipride:

Hey Duke, i'll post some of the pics I took. I didn't take as many as I wished. I can not put in words how big bosasoo is, it is not the same city I left a couple years back. It has grown enormously. You can find everything you want there now. I remember little things like barber shops where very poorly maintained in the past, now they look like some in the West do. With real chairs and very clean, before there were none. There are eye glasses stores with professionally displayed products. Hotels are so much more nicer, Juba Hotels front area is very nice. Security is a lot tighter and there are places that will stop you and check that you have an up to date drivers book if you drive around. The stores are full of so many things and so many restaurants have good food. I know this may seem to like nothing to someone that has never been to the state, but if you haven't been there before or ESPECIALLY if it's been a long time since you gone to Puntland, you'll be shocked how it has grown. There are Somalis living peacefully there from every corner of the country. But when I was living abroad all you hear is the state is near collopse that things are terrible. That is far from the truth and it seems so many only focus on the negative news.

With that being said, Bosasso seems to be growing far more then the rest of the state and I am worried that the other places will fall behind. The new president must trying and work with other area's and help them develop also.

Great to hear bossaso is developing, I'm heading to puntland this summer, allah willing. But you're right, we don't want to put all our eggs in one basket like the barre regime did with mogadiso. All cities should be developed.

Also, somalipride. What's the latest update on the oil deal, I know AfricaOil Corp wanted cadde to win the elections but what about the deals they signed with the old admin, will they be honored?

Thanks

Qalbi Adeyg wrote:

Also, somalipride. What's the latest update on the oil deal, I know AfricaOil Corp wanted cadde to win the elections but what about the deals they signed with the old admin, will they be honored?

Thanks

I don't know about the other companies but Faroole (my man) doesn't seem to have wasted time before putting these "Range Resources" scavangers on their right spot.

Here is an Australian article concerning the relationship with the new President and "Range Resources".

You're not sacked, you've been realigned"

by Mark Hawthorne

"EMBATTLED Range Resources — oil explorer of choice for Somalia's pirate kingdom of Puntland — has had a rough time of late, following the election of 63-year-old LaTrobe University PhD candidate Abdirahman Mohamed Farole as president. Farole has questioned the legality of Range Resources' oil and mineral deal with Puntland, which led to his departure as planning minister back in 2006. He then made the big move from Garowe to Bundora.

The news gets worse for Range, with Farole's university buddy, Issa Mohamud "Dholowa" Farah, last week getting the gig as "petroleum director" of Puntland.

Farah has been a major critic of Range for the past two years.

Indeed, there seems to be a strong Aussie contingent pulling the strings in Puntland now. Newly appointed finance minister Farah Ali Jama also flew in from Melbourne to take up his job.

President Farole has delivered a policy update in which he stated: "As you all know there are agreements signed by the former government that raised complaints from various groups. These contracts were between the government, foreign and local companies. In principle, I recognise and accept these agreements, but we have to update ourselves and make sure that they are benefiting the people and are within the laws of Puntland."

Which sounds very much like Range's agreement and resource rights are up in the air. The company responded stating that "Range looks forward to establishing a constructive and mutually beneficial relationship with the new Puntland government and its president"."

President Faroole is my new found HERO smile.gif

^^^Ok, go change your name saxib. As for the article, it wont change Puntland's oil exploration if its Range or Chevron we shall get that black gold out of the ground soon. Insha Allah

^^^They Range seem to be happy for now and nothing has changed from the new admin. They need the money more than anyone else.

Thus dont buy these bogus anti-Puntland folks changing their names every other day.

Thankful   

Qalbi.Adeyg,

Right now President Faroole says that he will continue all the projects the former admin had. However, he was the most vocal opponent against the oil contracts that were signed and the person he named as director of oil is also very much against it as well. So down the road i'm sure he'll start changing it if not get rid of it. But it is not easy, because many are employeed and he must bring another source of employment and other alternatives before he can get rid of African Oil and their contract. There was never a government position for Oil and exploration in the past, so by getting rid of this company they'll be no point of having one, unless another company is found. With Puntland imagine being wrongly tarnished it will be difficult to find companies.

By far the people who fought against the oil deals were those who were from abroad. But I never heard anyone say anything negative about the oil companies when I was there, people know that Range and African Oil are staying when almost every other company wants nothing to do with Somalia. Like I said, with all the negative news coming out of our country it difficult to find foreign investors. I think President Faroole will keep the Range and African Oil but change the agreements and other parts of the contract. He knows that they are staying when most companies would have left a long time ago. With the South fighting now, things will become even more difficult and security will becoming even more of a priority. We'll have to wait and see what happens. The President was definitely no fan of Range or African Oil.

Xiinfaniin,

Sorry but I never went there. I only went from Garowe up to Bosasoo on this trip. Every time I go to Puntland I want to take a trip to all those places away from the road but I end up never making up there.