Sign in to follow this  
Jabhad

in pictures: giving support to Islamic courts in Mogadishu.

Gabbal   

I wish some of you will reflect on the long-term consequencies this current in-fighting will have on Somalia, while am delighted to see the Warlords losing ground and support the question is will this renewed fighting merly result in further counter-attack by the Warlords.

A most excellent point. I cannot say I can see into the future as that would be hogwash but I think the majority of people are concerned about the status-quo rather then the long-term consequences (several of whom I can deduce). It is not saying too much when one says the current warlords and their business partners have used, abused, and mis-used the capital of the Somali peoples to this point that needs no description. I think majority of people's support for the Courts', as well as myself, is based on seeing a new chapter for Mogadishu, an awakening from its hybernation of decline and if that is done through religious and moral awareness, what better way?

Hizb, let me explain this current war in Mogadishu for you. There is no regrouping and counter-attacking on the parts of the warlords because it is not just the Courts they are fighting but the whole Mogadishu populace as well. Defeat for a warlord at this point in juncture is not go to your "neighborhood" and regroup. No, rather it means your neighbors have reclaimed their neighborhood, your militias have deserted you, your ill-founded financial empire has crumbled, and the only option for you is self imposed exile (or suicide for others). Men such as chief warlord financiers Abdirashid Ilqeyte and Abdiwaal (the man who literally used to sale off innocent religious leaders as alleged terrorists for measily sums of Dollars) are penniless today and in self imposed exile in Kenya. Feared militia commanders for warlords such as Seefdoon and others have taken their own lifes in their hands while still others are very much dead as a result of battle. Warlords such as Bashir Rage, Mohamed Qanyare, Muse Sudi, and Botan Ciise are in hiding, dreading the moment their turn comes up to expectorate the Haraam they have capitalized in the laste decade. It's not too much to say that the Islamic Courts are, naturally, in control of 80% (if not more) of the Mogadishu city and its environs.

The only group happy with the situation are the enemies of Somalia.

For the most part, I agree that the only people, Somalis or otherwise, that are happy with the situation in Mogadishu are the enemies of our peoples. War is a grueling and truly harsh aspect of human nature. Urban warefare is ten times worse and especially on the side of civilians particularly women, children, and the elderly. What we have in Mogadishu is truly catastrophic in the types and mechanisms of the weapons, the venue they are clashing in, and the proxy nature of the war itself with global ideologies playing out, and often providing key financial and logistical help on the sides of fighters by way of certain forces in the international community.

I do hope the Islamic realise this enemy and formulate stragedies to defeat it ... and force is not the way to it.

Force was not an option for the Islamic Courts. To explain to you a little bit about the history of the Courts, let me say the Courts were built by all the powerful sub-clans of Mogadishu to deal efficiently with each sub-clan's criminals and criminal enterprise through Islamic justice in the absence of a responsible national, central governmernt. That is the history of the Courts. Over time, the Courts begun to have more influence in the city and became a force to be reckoned with by every day criminals until the Courts last year trascended beyond their objective of each sub-clan deal with members of their sub-clan when they came together and formed an umbrella Islamic Courts grouping.

The warlords went into shock. Ever since the ouster of president Siad Barre up to that moment, the warlords had yet to see an individual or an entity that challenged their illegal control of Mogadishu. The warlords, in beginning of this year, set up their own warlord umbrella grouping with a most deceiving name of Coalition for Peace and Anti-terrorism in the hopes of wooing in American financial (and maybe even miliary!) support. They started this current mayhem in Mogadishu when they engaged in pre-emptive attack against the Courts. The Courts had no choice but to defend themselves. Miracolously their attack (the warlords's) opened up a pandora's box of problems for them and from then on they not only had to contend with the increasingly influence of the Courts and their militias but also of the everyday man, woman, and child in Mogadishu that they have been harassing for a decade and half! In short, it was not the Islamic Courts who decided whether to use force or not, that choice was already decided for them.

Gabbal   

^You took quite a bruising for a stance not very popular with our Fish and Chips crew, you enjoy it and let me savor the moment with you also. :D

Dragon,

You're persona non grata.

Originally posted by Rahima:

In Somalia and Mogadishu especially you have a choice of either the warlords or the courts.

Typical Manichean take! Can't count past 2? There's a third, forth, fifth and so on of possibilities. Like give both fighting sides the boot.

N.O.R.F   

Is African Islam changing?

_41708752_somalia_203b.jpg

The courts were set up several years ago, funded by businessmen who preferred any semblance of law and order to complete anarchy. They want to set up Sharia law to end the years of lawlessness.

Nigeria, where there are about 60m Muslims, has already seen a strict Islamic law adopted across its northern states, leading to tension and violence.

What is Islam like in your country? As a Muslim, have you noticed a change? Is militant Islam on the rise in Africa? If so, why is this happening? Do you think that Sharia law could end the lawlessness in Somalia?

Warlords in Mogadishu have killed and maimed thousands of people they have opposed every opportunity presented to Somalis to find a solution and restore order. The Islamic Courts were initially set up by group of business men to protect their trade. They also run schools and settle local feuds and disagreements by way of Sharia law and the public trust them. The warlords do not want to lose their grip and they have formed a coalition to fight the courts. But the public has backed the courts and now the warlords are driven out of the city. It is a way out for thousands of people.

Rashid Karshe, London, England

African Islam is not changing or is not different. All the Muslims of the world believe in only one God 'Allah ' and follow His Prophet Muhammad. Islam is peaceful.

Ahmad khan, Monrovia, Liberia

Sharia is there to uphold the laws that govern the way of life of the Muslims. Laws govern all aspects of life. Unfortunately, commentators always draw their conclusions from criminal aspects of Sharia, which constitute only a small proportion. Aspects of Sharia that deals with trade, for example, is not discussed. An ideal Islamic state that has an ideal Sharia implementation doesn't exist in today's world.

Dr. Falalu Dahiru Danwata, Preston, UK

What do you mean African Islam? Why is it that the West, and the media especially has to categorise Muslims from Africa differently from Pakistani or Arab or Chechen. There is no such thing as African Islam just as there is no such thing as African Christianity or African Judaism.

Mohammed, Leicester

The Sharia law is a fair law. If it was something negative then surely people wouldn't so readily accept it. Islam is a religion of peace and that is enforced into the law. It takes away the dictatorship that rules so many African countries. I truly believe that it is for the best.

Ilwad, London

Islam is all about "PEACE". A Muslim should always remember it. Anyone taking the law into their hands by killing innocents are not Muslim.

YUSUF YEBBI, Abuja, Nigeria

Islam in my home country is very peaceful compared to Nigeria and Somalia. Most of them attend Christian schools, attend church services and even learn Christian prayers which I doubt happens in Nigeria or Somalia. Sierra Leonean Muslims are really showing the others that Christians and Muslims can live together peacefully.

Victor Chambers (S/Leonean), Accra, Ghana

I think Islam is on the rise in Africa because people are looking for better alterative to dictatorship, Islam will improve the lawless Somalia because that's what the people want.

Ali, London

The word `ISLAM` means complete submission to the will of ALLAH. People who are involved in wars should not use the word as far as i am concerned. I known when they die hell fire is the only place for them. Moreover, the introduction of Sharia will not end the lawlessness in Somalia considering the culture and the different tribes in the country.

MOHAMED KEN SESAY, FREETOWN , SIERRALEONE

The evolution of the nation-state over time has generated the notion that the state is the guarantor of peace and security. The inability of the state to ensure the safety of its citizens, is the main cause of the anarchical nature of Somali politics. Anarchy breeds discontent to such levels that any society would seek alternatives to restore what it considers as norms and values.

Pauline Agumba, USA

The western nations have not paid attention to the drastically changing Islam in Africa. Even in Ethiopia where the Christians and Muslims lived peacefully for centuries, now signs are featuring that the Muslims do not want to associate with their Christian neighbours.

Chalew, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia

Muslims form the Majority in the Gambia, but the cordial relationship is just exemplary. I do believe that militant Islam is rising .

Kemo Cham, Serekunda, The Gambia

Because of the changed international geopolitical situation, the role of Islam has changed too. The west sees the Islamic world as the main threat where it used to be the Soviet-Union. Because of this, Muslims see themselves as opponents of the west. I think we have to go through this islamisation of politics for years to see that it won't work, just like communism didn't work.

Moussa Aynan, Nador, Morocco

As a Muslim i have noticed a change for the better in my country with the re introduction of Sharia. Whatever the West say about it Sharia, it has come to stay for life. Period!

Hamisu Salihu, Hadejia, Nigeria

It seems where ever Sharia law is 'Imposed' there is tension and violence. It also nearly always signals a reduction in women's rights, and the rights of other religious groups.

Chris, Slough, England

20 years ago Muslims in Africa were at peace with others. They inter-married and protected their neighbours irrespective of their religion. Now, they ostracize themselves and attack others who don't share their views. There has to be a foreign influence and we have to stop this influence.

Nike, Nigeria

Islam is not a religion, it is a way of life. So when Muslims become disenchanted with their so called "leader", they turn to what they know best, ISLAM. Perfect example is Palestine electing Hamas. In fact, if you let any Muslim nation choose who they really want, they will always choose the Islamists over the so called "democrats".

Sharmarke Said Issa, Ottawa, Canada

bbc.co.uk

Jabhad   

More gains by the courts...

dagaal141.jpg Watching the enemy

dagaal140.jpg After the battle.

dagaal138.jpg

dagaal113.jpg celebrating after the battle.

dagaal120.jpg Moving to frontlines.

dagaal122.jpg Courts to stay Muse Sudi territory.

Fists in the air, they’re the first to know, the revolution that many optimists have been waiting for – we only support the destruction of the warlords who have held the nation hostage for more than a decade now.

What will happen if they take over Xamar – the sheiks that is – we can only hope they don’t become a Taliban like state, cuz I think most Somalis will not be willing to accept many restrictions in their daily lives.

Rahima   

^I doubt it, we have a different culture. I can't imagine Somalia becoming another Afghanistan (not that i believe the reporting on the taliban).

Typical Manichean take! Can't count past 2? There's a third, forth, fifth and so on of possibilities. Like give both fighting sides the boot.

Going by past experience SB ;) , I can with almost complete certainty say that any third, fourth and fifth possibilities you bring to the table are ones that I and many others who want Islam as the governing ideology will disagree with. That said, there is the ideal (mine differs from yours) and then there is reality.

My ideal would include amongst other things giving the warlords a chance to repent and if not I’m sure they could be found guilty of murder and therefore let heads roll. On the other side I would be in the business of establishing a viable government and not having courts (made out of necessity) running the show. But all this SB matters not because neither you nor I have any influence. We have two options; you either choose one or leave without any concerns. As Muslims we should always chose the better of two options (or the lesser of two evils). In the case of Mogadishu even with all their wrongs, the courts are angels compared to the warlords. The people living in the city know better than you SB, and they obviously support the courts for a reason. Ponder on that my friend!

Sheikh Shariif for President! OMG, this dude really looks like scary, I wouldn't like to come up to him in a dark alley, it would really freak me out!

Gudom%20Maxkamadaha.jpg

Castro   

Originally posted by General Duke:

The courts have support and they are winning so far on the ground. But what happens when they take over Mogadishu??

It is troubling.

General, they have taken over Muqdisho. Better send an email to Baidoa. The bearded men are coming. :D

SOO MAAL   

Castro, I will email to Laascaanood, and you can email to Hergeysa that bearded men are coming

We should organize celebrations and welcome the new leaders of Somalia, they are better than warlord riyoode

Castro   

Atheer you can email Las Caanood and CC Hargeisa if you like. Neither of those towns have anything to worry about. It's the man in the blue suit (Abdillahi Yusuf) who is in a tough spot right now. His wish will be answered and the Americans will give him money and weapons to fight the courts. And since the courts have destroyed more vicious men then him, he will run. May be to Ethiopia? :D

Who would have thunk things would turn out this way?

SOO MAAL   

Sxb, the new developments in Mogadisho is something that concerns all Somalia

I think all somali warlords including abdulaahi yusuf and daahir riyoode who always employ terrorism card and accuse their enemies terrorism whoever they maybe

I believe both Yusuf and royoode are in tough position now that imaginary “terrorists†became reality and have the upper hand in Somali politics

Castro you should condemn all warlords equally

I hope that Islamic courts to eliminate all warlords from looyacadde, rascasir, to ras kaambooni

Question: How do you rate your relationship with Ethiopia?

Answer: It's good. We have no better friend than Ethiopia.

Question: What benefits do you get from Ethiopia?

Answer: They always treat us as brothers, as young brothers. They help us better than any other country in the area.

Question: According to media reports, there have been reports of insurgency in your country.

Answer: Yes. Those people killed the expatriates. Luckily, we have captured them.

Question: What was it all about?

Answer: We don't know. They are terrorists. They want to destabilize our country, because we are practicing the rule of law in our country. They want to make our country the same as those in Mogadishu. They have been sent from Mogadishu.

Question: Who supported them?

Answer: Al-Quaeda and all that.

Question: Are they now fully controlled?

Answer: To certain extent, yes . We have captured the main organs operating in our country.

Question: When was that?

Answer: While I was away from the country. Another four were captured while I was in the country.

Question: Do you have anything to tell me?

Answer: No, thank you for the interview. I would like to thank the Ethiopian people, the Ethiopian government. That's what I want say. ;

More: Interview with the President of Somaliland

Castro   

Soomaalow, saaxib, you and I have been down this path before and it wasn't pretty. Riyaale has his hands full with all the allegations against him. I can also assure you that the Shariif has no desire of marching to Hargeisa or even Las Caanood.