Sign in to follow this  
Suldaanka

Hargeisa Transport strike!

The transport strike due to fuel price hike happened yesterday. The government promised to give in to a price rollback 3 days after the negotiations. Nothing happened. Bus Associations made true their threat to freeze transport services.

Fuel station owners threatened to close shop, rumors have it that telecommunication companies will follow. True? Magara nayo.

bus%20strike.jpg

[surprised passengers flock the terminal waiting for the bus that never came]

bus%20strike%202.jpg

[Empty Herraur Bus terminal]

STOIC   

^^^^i did listen to radio Hargeysa last night-they were talking about it.Suldanka is radio Hargeysa owned by the government?-i don't like government propagandas, do you mind giving me insight info?

STOIC   

^^^^Suldanka, sorry for the confusion!.My question is whether radio Hargeysa is owned by the government.This question has nothing to do with the strike.The only reason i raised up radio hargeysa is because yesterday was the first time i listened to it-it was also where i got the strike info!.

Yes as Fyr-Kanten said it is a public radio operated by the government on behalf of the tax payers.

Radio Hargeysa is also the only radio that operates in the country.

But if you need an independent Somaliland radio, you can go to Horyaal.net and listen to it. Horyaal is a recently started radio based in Europe but has a reach to East Africa and Gulf regions.

STOIC   

^^^thanks both of you guys!.I don't trust many government or tribal run medias.I think we all need one media enterprise where educating the public comes first; where fair and balanced isn't just a slogan, but a way of life in Somaliland/Somalia :D .

Sky   

Suldaanka, do you think that because the foreign company Total acquired the sole license to import petrol through Berbera port recently from Riyaale, that it will enhance the economy of Somaliland?

I suspect that Riyaale rather deals with Total, to have more space to embezzle government money. They might have planned to say to the people on these occasions:"fuel price increase? well youll have to blame Total!". But in the mean time, pocketing 30%-50% of the money increase!

Sky

Bro it wasn't Rayaale that signed the deal with Total, it was rather the late president Mudane Egal (IHN). It is a 50 years contract where Total will not only import fuel but also do the maintainance and upgrades to the port fuel facilities as needed. They already rehabilitated the fuel tanks (see picture) and are now upgrading the fuel jetties.

The contract as I heard is reviewable as to if changes are needed they can be appended. But as of now, they are the only company that imports fuel, which means they have monopoly on the oil markets. Which is very bad for the economy in the long run. Because in free market, there has to be competition to drive prices attractive to both the seller and buyer.

Total now imports fuel and sells through its subsidery Red Sea Fuel which distributes fuel to local pumps.

Dhuuntakk.jpg

STOIC

fair and balanced

I won't happen, trust me. You know Somalida, they are all bigots.