Sign in to follow this  
juba

is Islam compatible with Science?

juba   

i have had this question for a while. What fields of sciences are accepted in islam and what are considerd as haram? what possible advances in science do islamic scholars fear? But what about genetic enginnering and the theory of evolution. Do we reject these views? if so why? because there is substantial amount of evidence like skeletons for evolution and its still a theory.but it is also conterdictory of the koran! and genetic engineering of foods could help out humanity significantly. is it haram?

Your thoughts?

Viking   

juba,

I think that all sciences that are progressive for humans are encouraged, but under Islamic guidelines. For instance, if genetic engineering is applied to feed the hugry, then it is allowed; but if it is used for creating "designer" babies, then it isn't.

Theory of evolution? Have they found the missing link :confused: :D

J.Lee   

because there is substantial amount of evidence like skeletons for evolution and its still a theory.but it is also conterdictory of the koran!

First of all the believe that organisms have descended with modifications from a common ancestor is not a theory at all....it is non-existant.....I don't think there is a missing link...the rubbish uttered by Darwin is the weakest link..despite "substantial amount of evidence" that we humans evolved from non-humans..we all know or should know...our ancestry is traced back to Xawo and Adan...Human beings as stated in our religious Doctrine,the quran and anything that contridicts it.....is XARAM. Though the theory that human are evolving isn't questionable but the fact that all living organism with similar traits share a common ancestor is a non-fact regardless of how compelling the evidence proves to be

Now...I'm majoring in Biology (which does cover darwinism..but I don't believe in them.hypocritical?)and from experience....Sometimes religion and science aren't compatible..as proven by Theory of Evolution...the point of science is to come with a hypothesis and draw a conclusion...the essence of it is to question...and find a suitable answer through research and evidence. They question if Allah even exists...because there isn't any evidence to be seen....but as muslims we know that Allah exists even though we never saw him.....we just know....through the quran, through miracles, through xadith...And through trust and FAITH.

In Conclusion they can be compatible and often times aren't.I don't know which branches of science is excepted in our religion....and hopefully somebody who has knowledge of the sharia can shed a light on it....but i'm inclined to think that as long as something doesn't compromise your believe in allah or even question the quran....then it might be acceptable.but then again that is just my opinion or might just need to change my Major.

Salaams

People make it sound like science and religion have to agree when they really don't. They are not the samething and they are not based on the same premise. religion is from God and science is from man.

what possible advances in science do islamic scholars fear?

I would hope none. Muslims only fear Allah.

But what about genetic enginnering and the theory of evolution. Do we reject these views?

If they disagree with the quran and sunnah then we reject them.