Sign in to follow this  
OLOL

Exclusive: Interview with Sharif Hassan Sheikh by Jane Magazine

OLOL   

Exclusive: Interview with Sharif Hassan Sheikh Aden, Speaker of Parliament, Transitional Federal Parliament of the Somali Republic

By Richard Evans, Editor of Jane’s Terrorism and Insurgency Centre

After 14 years without a functioning government, Somalia now has a Parliament, a cabinet, and a President. However many Parliamentarians are concerned that neighbouring Ethiopia is trying to stifle development of the new institutions. They further claim that Addis Ababa is arming various factions in a bid to maintain instability. What do you believe is really occurring here?

In my view, Ethiopia does not want a functioning government in Somalia and I want to see that the world knows this. Even if Ethiopia does want a government here, it wants a fiefdom government - multiple governments which are all weak.

Some people believe Ethiopia is supporting specific groups, but really it’s not supporting anyone [specifically]; you can supply weapons to one group, but you know that often they don’t even have, for example, fuel for themselves - so they sell some of their guns to other groups. Then everyone has them. They [Ethiopia] know the weapons are going to the other groups and producing instability. So all sides are arming themselves. This is my personal view regarding the behaviour of Ethiopia.

The Somali parliament is now installed in Mogadishu, yet the President and the Executive have yet to take their places there, citing security concerns. What is the security situation in the capital at present?

There are four main groups holding weapons in Mogadishu; warlords, businessmen, Islamic courts, and freelance individual clans.

If the business community and the warlords give up their arms then no-one who is left will be able to keep theirs. The warlords, businessman, half the Islamic courts and the freelancers will be willing to go wherever they might be paid. The other Islamic courts are saying that they want to see other parties give up their guns first.

I can’t say that Mogadishu is secure - it’s somewhere that for the last 14 years has had no functioning police or security service. But no-one seems to be reflecting the current reality there. In February I visited Mogadishu and met with all sections of the community there - they told me that the wanted peace and security. They also told me they were willing to have peace [keeping] troops - but not if they were from front-line states.

I visited again in May and we reached an agreement to remove many of the militias and military technicals [flat-bed trucks fitted with crew-served weapons]. By the end of May, they [warlords and businessmen in Mogadishu] said they had moved more than 2,500 militia and 140 technicals [outside the city]. They have removed a lot of the illegal roadblocks. This was done with no assistance from the international community.

So do you feel that conditions now exist for the President and the Executive to relocate to the capital?

The parliament is now seated in Mogadishu to face the challenges ahead and to try to implement some reform in the country. But unless they [the President and Executive] are present we cannot do anything. If they return, the people of Somalia can start to trust them.

If the current political crisis cannot be resolved, do you believe there is a risk of a return to civil war?

I think something can be done to avoid bloodshed. I see that the mandate of the UN Special Representative Francois Fall is something which we should support. If he is given support for his mission then something can be done to avoid it. Somalia is fed up of war; we need a peace plan, not a war plan.

What is the situation regarding the Somali economy?

The situation remains serious. All our financial institutions have collapsed. We have appealed to the international community for assistance, but they need to know where the money is going. We need Parliament to be independent of the Government and for it [Parliament] to provide oversight of the accounts.

We need a proper system of remittance for Members of Parliament. Every member of Parliament needs to be able to operate independently and be able to take [financial] decisions themselves. The Parliament has been established for more than a year now and they [Parliamentarians] have not received any pay.

How would you respond to the fears expressed by some in the international community that a country like Somalia is providing a haven for international Jihadist groups?

I do believe that a lot of this [discussion of the harbouring or terrorists] is propaganda put about by some elements with a political agenda. But it’s difficult for us to provide some clarity on this - we have been without security or intelligence services for a very long time. I think that they [international jihadist groups] are not in Somalia for the time being - but if they are there, then the only way we can trace them is when there is a functioning intelligence system, instead of us just thinking about whether or not such groups might be present. The international community must focus on helping us to establish a fully functioning government if we are to effectively deal with this sort of danger, especially in Mogadishu.

The International Maritime Bureau has again expressed concern about the rise in piracy off the coast of Somalia. What are your views on this problem and how it should be addressed?

This situation is unacceptable and I hope that something can be done about it. It is the Somali people who are suffering. There is also a problem with heavy shipping dumping toxic waste [off Somalia] and we are facing serious environmental damage. Our coastline is being used as a dumping ground ….and we don’t have the ability to control out own coastline. I would appeal to the international community - especially the UK and the US - to help us protect this coastline until we are able to do so ourselves.

Sharif Hassan Sheikh Aden

p1124182.jpg

very intersting interview, thanks olol

look at the man tho' would you trust him, he looks so sinister, -- i figured it, its the left eye, its like a cartoon bad guy ..

Gabbal   

Shariifka has proven to be an opportunistic, attention-seeking, selfish individual. Let him trapse around the world, having his five minutes of fame (of lack of) will come back to hunt him, I dare say!

I don't believe he correctly understood the description of his position. If he is the Speaker of the Parliament, why does he seem to think he is Somalia's at-large International Ambassador?

OLOL   

****************** PLEASE STOP THE INSULTS AND THE PERSONAL ATTACKS AGAINST OTHERS.

[ October 13, 2005, 12:54: Message edited by: Admin ]

Gabbal   

^^Shariifka is not a warlord, because a warlord is a military leader; good or bad. Shariifka on the other waa daneeyste ee save the lil pep talk brotha!

Sharif is contradicting himself:

"I can’t say that Mogadishu is secure"

In one of his BBC interviews he was saying that Mogadishu is secure enough.and now he is saying Mogadishu is not secure.

The government already said that if Mogadishu is not Secure we are not goin to go there.

"In February I visited Mogadishu and met with all sections of the community there - they told me that the wanted peace and security. They also told me they were willing to have peace [keeping] troops - but not if they were from front-line states".

There is a government what the government agrees on is what that is going to be implemented not what the war-lords of Mogadishu say.The war-lords think that peace is in there hands in my view peace is in the People hands if the people want peace no one can get in there way not even the war-lord that have implemented th way's for far too long.

either way i dont much care, i mean look at it this way, some one is speaking for a nation, not a qabiil. What ever his intensions and i'm sure there are many if he has managed to get to this position, its a start.

we can at least start to discuss what is good or bad for a nation now....

Libaax, they train them at the Insurgency Centre ;)

Bakar   

Originally posted by HornAfrique:

Shariifka
has proven to be an opportunistic, attention-seeking, selfish individual. Let him trapse around the world, having his five minutes of fame (of lack of) will come back to hunt him, I dare say!

I don't believe he correctly understood the description of his position. If he is the
Speaker of the Parliament
, why does he seem to think he is Somalia's at-large International Ambassador?

Reer koreey never cease to amaze. Waa lajoojiya banaan, lajiifya banaan.

War nin yahow kac oo qur'aan akhris ama wax kale oo kheyr ah samee. Soonka yuusan ku gudbin adoo marna hiiraale difacaya marna umada kale wax xun wax xun kasheegaya. Bal is ku celi bahasha intuu soonka kadhamanayo, akhi.

Gabbal   

^ :confused:

Reer Koreey :confused: Ma Shariifkaad xig-sanaysaa?

Qabaa'ilkuu yahaybo walaal, he is the Speaker of the Parliament of the Somali Federal Democratic Republic. He is not the mayor of Baydhabo nor the governor of Bakool, and I would hope you do not mistake it as such. ;) Somalis are amazing iga dheh..

Bakar   

^^ Soonka ajarkiisa yuusan kugafin, sxb. Marka iskala her. Sidaa horeyba kugu shegey, isku celi bahasha, yee san kaa fakan. hadii kale soon waa ka buraa. Haye is xaji magaca jiryee.

Gabbal   

My soon is between my creator and I; do not use it as a excuse for poisonous uttering. Reer Koreey ku ye. Walahi taasu waa wax an wali la yaaba nahay.

OLOL   

raali ha la iga noqdo ...mararka qaarkiis i became so reactionary. but the thing that is so hypocrtical here is we censure some and let others defame our honorable leaders like the shariif. I understand he is a public figure and all, but often times, i have seen offensive remarks against people of Mogadishu and sorrounding by none other than our resident Yeey cheerleaders.....80% of posting from certain individuals here is offensive generalisation directed towards certain folks.

Rahima   

Shariifka has proven to be an opportunistic, attention-seeking, selfish individual. Let him trapse around the world, having his five minutes of fame (of lack of) will come back to hunt him, I dare say!

I don't believe he correctly understood the description of his position. If he is the Speaker of the Parliament, why does he seem to think he is Somalia's at-large International Ambassador?

I think it is obvious that my knowledge on Somali politics is extremely limited nor do I read anything outside of SOL (which I always believe to be BS anyway), but this (the speaker prancing around the world unnecessarily) has been something I’ve being wondering about.

What is wrong with these leaders anyway; blood sucking vermins, opportunists or just simple lazy asses. This is so sad walaahi.