Sign in to follow this  
Taleexi

THE BANANA REPULIC AND THE BIAS MEDIA

Taleexi   

THE BANANA REPULIC AND THE BIAS MEDIA

ABDILLAHI MOHAMED SAAD ( CABDILLAHI CUNAYE)

November 12, 2005

No matter how much we try to ignore it, human communications always takes place in a context through a medium. In addition, among individuals and groups who are situated historically, politically and economically. This state of affairs is neither good nor bad. As Somalis or neo Somalilanders, we are not that different, we are human too. We are also bias. Bias is a small word that identifies the collective influence of the entire media, politicians, and the intellectuals of the small Banana Republic of Somaliland. politicians are certainly biased and overtly so. They belong to parties and clans. They espouse tribal based policies, and practice pastoral democracy.

The media, too speak from political positions. A professssional journalist attempts to be objective by two Methods 1) fairness to those concerned with the news and 2) a professional process of information gathering that seeks fairness, completeness, and accuracy. The journalistic ethics of objectivity and fairness are lost in the internet sites of Somaliland. Some of the newspapers and most of the pro-government sites are now the modern day Xiddigta October of The banana republic. But then it is not always the people’s interest to satisfy the politicians and blood thirsty individuals, therefore, what happened to them?

Where are the civilized people? Where are the educated? Can any one answer these questions…?

In the early days of the year 2000, we had a meeting in Gatineau, Quebec. The agenda was to discuss the political environment of the state Of Awdal at that time. The late President of Somaliland, M. Igal was still in power, and most of my fellow Awdalites in that meeting were strong anti-Somaliland federalists. I was one of very few die-hard somalilnders who bothered to come to Gatineau.The organizers claimed to be the intellectuals, the educators, and experts. All of a sudden when Daahir Rayaale came to power in 2002, they changed their uniforms and became The Reagan democrats for the cause of the banana republic. I would call them the Rayaale convertees, the cross dressers, and the custodians of the immoral cause. In addition, some might even have changed their identities as Awdalites to Habar ******** .

Somaliland has become a de facto one-clan state with unworthy leadership from a puppet man in its white house. There are traffic lights in Hargeisa but no traffic rules. It is a place where the long-oppressed Gabooye clan faces prosecution and brutality. It has become a State where the U.N agencies, NGOs, and other developmental organizations are not allowed to operate outside the Sunni triangle (the area between Hargeisa, Berbera, and Wajaale}. No one has an answer to why 140,000 awdalite voters got 13 seats in the parliament, while less than 40,000 in Saaxil were awarded with 10 seats. In general, the people of Somaliland live in peace and some sort of stability. They casted their ballots peacefully, but still the bullets carried by the army and the police belong to their clans. In other words, it is a prerequisite to join the armed forces of Somaliland; you must bring your own gun. Therefore, those at the borders of Somaliland are not Military men; they are the Somaliland Rifle association.

Banana republic is a pejorative term for describing a country with a non-democratic or unstable Government specially where there is widespread political corruption and strong influence by interest groups. It is a term that describes a backword and unrecognized regimes, specially where elections are always fraudulent and corruption is rife. It is a term that fits Somaliland; I would argue that Somaliland is even worse than a banana republic.

The men like the late General Yousuf Tallan, Professor Housein Ahmed Warsame (my maternal uncle), Dr. Hamud Ali Masheeye, Dr Omar Osman Raabbi, Mr. Nuur Bahal, Dr Abdi Ismail Samatar, And my lovely and beautiful cousin or Cousine Ibado Hussein, will hold the fort authentic rights of Awadal doctrine against any enticement to abandon it.

They will, if god shall will; and in my big way, I intend to hold with them.

Bye Bye Banana republic!

Abdillahi Mohamed Saad ( Cabdillaahi Cunaaye)

EMAIL:Johnattansaad@YAHOO.CA

-----------------------------------------------

Are the minds and hearts of some die-hard Somalilanders changing?, what kind of implication will it have for the secession?. Is the political discourse of Somaliland taking a dynamic phase of its history making?. All these quesitions and others remained unanswered.

Castro   

Originally posted by Toohe Jr.:

The men like the late General Yousuf Tallan, Professor Housein Ahmed Warsame (my maternal uncle), Dr. Hamud Ali Masheeye, Dr Omar Osman Raabbi, Mr. Nuur Bahal, Dr Abdi Ismail Samatar, And my lovely and beautiful cousin or Cousine Ibado Hussein, will hold the fort authentic rights of Awadal doctrine against any enticement to abandon it.

They will, if god shall will; and in my big way, I intend to hold with them.

Bye Bye Banana republic!

Abdillahi Mohamed Saad ( Cabdillaahi Cunaaye)

So what are you saying atheer? Are you saying you are part of the nucleus of the entity that has begun an armed (and intellectual) struggle against Somaliland? And I am not being facetious by asking this.

Taleexi   

It is self-evident that something is changing as we are interchanging ideas right now,and if you don't see it, it is just a matter of time till almost everyone of us notices the evolution of the case of Somaliland.