Sign in to follow this  
Liqaye

What more can be done to appease the shabaab?

Belial   

Give both Goodane and Abu Mansur a place in the goverment and give credit to their actions against the Ethiopian invasion. Sh. Muktar Roboow(Abu Mansur) as defence minister is very comforting feeling for me.

Fabregas   

Originally posted by Thierry.:

Let us not get fooled by the media and our resident confused Jihadi, Al Shabaab is not a super organised group that needs to be appeased. The reality on the ground is that these are very young boys aged between 12-18 who grew up in civil war, they have no direct chain of command. This explains the recent rise in assassinations such Tahlil of HornArique, no one has claimed the killings and even their supposed leaders (Abu Mansur) is condemning the killings.

I have recently heard from a relative that came from Mogadishu that a 12 year boy killed his parents because he accused them of not being married lawfully insisting that they should remarry, incidentally this boy’s preacher and Amir is a 16 year old. Now do should the government negotiate with every teenage gang leader in Mogadishu.

Pres Sharif should talk to and reach his hand to who ever wants to negotiate and talk, but more importantly he should present incentives (Schooling, work, Islamic Scholarship) for these young misguided children to give up there criminal activities.

One cannot appease everyone and sooner or later Goodane, Mansur et al will come to find themselves isolated individuals

Ps: Amisom should leave in a phased withdrawal, the stronger the government forces become the less Amisom presence is required.

ps. it's ironic that your argument sounds so much like the indviduals who making the same excuses for the Ethiopians and Amnisom during the Yusuf regime. Ah, yes, if the ethiopians and amnisom leave there shall be a security vaccum. Ah, yes, they will only leave once the government is on its feet and the extremists lay down their weapons. Rememebr those lame excuses?So, what makes it acceptable for Shariff to call foreign troops, help him secure Muqdisho, defend him against extremists, and not for Yusuf? ;) Think about that one.

Thierry.   

No irony here just facts on the ground, the government has a little force to defend it self against the vast fragmented resistance groups, it doesn’t take a brain surgeon to realise that secession of violence will lead to withdrawal of the Amisom troops. Let us solve the problem in the right chronological order (Violence stops and the government will be safe enough to ask them to withdraw) otherwise the government will be sitting ducks for these phantom killers.

Secondly what a silly comparison, the former government inherited a peaceful city willing to negotiate and make Yusuf its rightful President but he rolled in the Ethiopian tanks, this President has inherited a broken and unsafe (even for his own life) city and is carefully learning how to survive.

Security is paramount if anything is going to be done, so unless Mr Abu you can guarantee that, phased withdrawal is the best option.

Hibo   

it's ironic that your argument sounds so much like the indviduals who making the same excuses for the Ethiopians and Amnisom during the Yusuf regime

No, abti. This is beyond irony. They need to come up with a new word for it. I've already documented how dhabaqoodhi peaceniks are fundamentally incapable of grasping irony. They will say the most ludicrous thing....... with a straight face and without a hint of self-awareness. Let me illustrate what I'm talking about. Take this line of Mr. Somali Empire, in the context of his entire post:

Amisom should leave in a phased withdrawal, the stronger the government forces become the less Amisom presence is required

Think hard. Does that remind you of anyone ? That is, almost verbatim, the classical talking point of the Bush administration and the neocon structure in America. It is the rhetoric used to justify the long-term(30 year plus) of American occupation in Iraq and Afghanistan. Here's Bush giving a speech in June of '05:

Our mission in Iraq is clear: We're hunting down the terrorists. We're helping Iraqis build a free nation that is an ally in the war on terror. We're advancing freedom in the broader Middle East. We are removing a source of violence and instability and laying the foundation of peace for our children and our grandchildren.

We will stay in Iraq as long as we are needed and not a day longer

Right. Kinda like how you are so direly needed in Germany, Japan, and South Korea. 60 years of military presence. Because you are needed. Right.

We fight today because Iraq now carries the hope of freedom in a vital region of the world, and the rise of democracy will be the ultimate triumph over radicalism and terror

And the money shot:

Our strategy can be summed up this way: As the Iraqis stand up, we will stand down

Somali Empire:

the stronger the government forces become the less Amisom presence is required

:D What did I tell you ? Hanged by his own words. Now here's the difference between Duke and Thierry. Duke is a smart PR man. Underestimate him at your own peril. He knows when his talking points are not working and he throws them away(example: his about-face when Yey was forced to resign. smart politics, smart man). But Theirry and and his peacenik cohorts actually believe the load of crap they're selling just as Dubya Bush actually believes that he brought freedom, security and democracy to Iraq and Afghanistan by destroying their nation. At this point, I am left with no choice but to question the raw intelligence of Thierry and his peaceniks(also, another parallel with Bush, known for his epic doqonimo). I don't think it's a case of irony(or lack thereof), I think it's a case of not having the requisite brainpower to accurately gauge and assess the reality on the ground. Sorry. Maybe harsh, but that's the only conclusion that will explain this detachment from reality.

Case in point: Thierry has repeated on more than one occasion the 'need to put them to the death' and "kill all of them'.(Notice again the Bush parallel, you woulda thought he spent time in a right-wing think tank) 'Them' being of course the men and women who freed him and his tribal heroes(Ahmed Diiriye, Xaad, Kiimiko, etc) from the Ethiopian occupation with their constant attacks on both Xabashi and dhabaqhoodi. The same attacks that are being condemned as 'nabad-diid' and 'anarchy' today. You gotta love the hypocrisy.

Anyway, the question is: How exactly does he propose to carry out the 'putting them to the death part'. Will he acheive that with the Tol militia-rabble that Shaykh Hotel has bought of with foriegn money ? Where are they ? How come they got their azzez whopped by Xisbul Islam last time they fought ? Or is he talking about more foriegn troops ? What will 10,000 or 20,000 or 30,000 or 40,000 more African Union troops accomplish that 70,000 Ethiopian troops have failed completely in acheiving ? Why is his Xabashi servant of a president locked up in Villa Somalia(oops, Yey parallel..irony alert) ?

Basic questions that he has been unable to answer thus far, which leads me to question not only his intellegince, but the intellegince of anybody that supports this government and shys away from answering the tough questions.

Support this dowlad-ku-sheeg all you want.....just make sure you come equipped with relevant, coherent talking points that won't make you look like a fool.

So, what makes it acceptable for Shariff to call foreign troops, help him secure Muqdisho, defend him against extremists, and not for Yusuf?

Lol, another tough question they won't answer. But I'll answer it for you. You see, Zaylaci, recently a nomad expressed his doubt and lack of confidence in the Tigray Founded Goverment. Instead of answering in concrete terms about the incompentence of the dowlad-ku-sheeg. Theirry answered like this: "Don't worry brother, the goverment is in local hands.. we're running the show.. we have all the power...there's nothing to worry about".

:D bal ka waran mentality-gaas anakaa o ku jirno 2009 ?...Sharif is a 'local'. That's why he is welcomed along with his Gaalo army. Cabdullahi Amxaar, however, suffered the misfortune of not being a 'local'. :D Yo, this is shit is beyond funny, it's tragic, runtii, and i shouldn't be laughing, but as the arabs say, shar'rul baliyati maa yudxik.

As another forumer put it: "Ugandan'ka waa gaalo H-block wadato, laakin Ethiopians'ka waxay ahaayaan gaalo D-block wadatay". Crucial difference :D Don't attack our Gaalo.... but it's ok to attack their Gaalo. Hypocrisy much ? Qabyaalad much ? Qurun much ? Sewage much ? Qashin much ?

That's the mentality you want me to sit down and talk with. Sorry, pal. These tribalist will know nothing but the sword. And they will be cleansed from Xamar just as they were cleansed in the summer of 2006 and Cabdi-Qaybdiid and Qanyare, who are now venerable Mudane Ministers sitting side by side with Cabdulqaadir Cumar Cali, Janaqow, Ibrahim Cadow, and Shaykh Sharif, were sent fleeing for their lives.

Can't go back to '87-94 and tribal politics, abti. We done passed that. Somalia has moved on. But the f'ing peaceniks w