Sign in to follow this  
Haddad

About The Protest In Ottawa

Haddad   

It's baffling me Somalis in Canada are holding a protest tommorow. Don't they know what momentum is about? Why hold it after a long time? The saying better late than never doesn't apply in this situation. It's one thing to make a statement, another thing to get carried away in a frenzy.

Dude, in Canada, they have something called 'freedom of expression.' These people - the Somali protesters - are allowed to express their opinion regarding the illegal executions of Somalis in Saudi Arabia. No, Somalis in Saudi Arabia - or anywhere else in the Arabian Peninsula - can't openly protest because they're not allowed to. Let them protest against a cruel and unusual punishment inflicted upon of their fellow citizens.

P.S. When will you come to your senses and see the truth on the other side of the 'aisle' - so to speak?

Haddad   

Originally posted by wind.talker:

in Canada, they have something called 'freedom of expression.'

Are you referring to the so-called freedom of expression? That freedom of expression is merely an expression, no actions involved, because it can't change anything. For example, protests were held prior the Iraq invasion, but it were mere expression, changing nothing. The real freedom of expression exist in countries like Saudi Arabia, but isn't allowed, because action will be involved which will lead to change something. Hopeful, this protest will be covered by the international press and/or media, unlike the one in London which was only covered by some Somali sites.

No, Somalis in Saudi Arabia - or anywhere else in the Arabian Peninsula - can't openly protest because they're not allowed to.

Not only in the Arabian peninsula, but also many countries worldwide, especially those that enjoy good relationship with the Saudi government. A protest cannot be held in the US; it's almost impossible. Proof:

capt.sge.keo87.260405113700.photo00.phot

Protests are allowed in the U.S. In Seattle, for example, every time President Bush shows up, thousands flock to the streets with banners and slogans against his foreign, energy and social security policies. And you're wrong, buddy: protests are an effective form of public expression. It doesn't mean the powers-that-be (i.e. the gov't) will succumb to the ideology of the protesters. However, protests are a way of showing national leaders that the people are against or for something.

The real
freedom of expression
exist in countries like Saudi Arabia, but isn't allowed,

What good is freedom of expression if it isn't allowed ? That's a contradictory and meaningless statement. The fact remains that in Saudi Arabia - the heart and soul of Islam - true Muslim leadership is sidelined by the ruling royal family. Where does royalty and kinghood factor into Islam? The problem with the Saudi system starts at the very basic level where a man - Fahd - claims the title of 'King.' This, of course, goes against the teachings of Islam, where Allah SWT only is reserved the right to be called King:

114:2 The King (or Ruler) of Mankind,

I still don't understand how you can be so supportive of a government that fails to stand for the tenets of Islam, only using Islam as a reason whenever they find it necessary to get across their political points.

Haddad   

Protests are allowed in the U.S.

You didn't get it. When there's no interest/benefit for the US in a protest against the Saudi government, no protest will take place. Clearly, the US has no interest in Somalis protesting against the Saudi government. What's more, the Somali protests in the UK and Canada are totally ineffective. The reason; only a handful of Somali sites are covering it. Proof:

Google News result

What good is
freedom of expression
if it isn't allowed ?

It's not allowed, because it will cause to change something. For example, protests in Kyrgyzstan have led to the ouster of its president. In countries where it's allowed, it changes nothing; again, Iraq being the ample example.

quote:

What good is
freedom of expression
if it isn't allowed ?

It's not allowed, because it will cause to change something. [/QB]
Isn't that the whole purpose? The idea isn't whether or not a protest changes something; rather, that a protest is an important part of human freedom and self-expression. If a people are denied a free form of self-expression, it will undoubtedly lead them to find another way of self-expression (namely, armed resistance - the Saudi case is a prime example). Seems like you're defeating your own argument here, buddy.

Haddad   

Isn't that the whole purpose?

If so, What good is freedom of expression if it can't change something or anything? Selective protests and demonstrations are allowed in the West, because it's not meant to change something or anything. If a protest isn't allowed, but its eventual happening leads to change, then it's the real deal. If a protest is allowed, but its eventual happening doesn't lead to change, then it's energy wasted. Why do people protest? To change something. Will the Somali protests in the UK and Canada lead to sparing the lives of Somalis who will be beheaded in the future? Maybe, if Western governments pressure the Saudi government, and/or Western media outlets give the issue some headlines.

Haddad   

Originally posted by Amethyst:

For those interested in watching a broadcast of the last demonstration in London, UK.
. Its the second link.

Any pictures or broadcast of the Ottawa protest? I have searched major Somali sites, to no avail. The Ottawa protest is receiveing minuscule coverage or interest, the reason being as I have outlined; it was held post momentum.

^^^ Maan, It was raining like crazy and we stood there shouting. Luckly I brought my umbrella with me, but I had to share it with my cousins. The Saudis were watching us from the windows. A dedicated bunch we were ... screaming

"what do we want? justice"

"when do we want? noooow!!"

I enjoyed my short stay in Ottawa. Very nice city.

What is missing is coordination. In this day and age Somalis all over the world should have coordinated these protests around the world so that they could more of an impact than what has happened so far. Just imagine a day of protests all over the world at every Saudi Embassy.

Oh by the way the Canadian weather sucks.. :rolleyes: